Request for Like/Thank Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
LawrenceA

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:27 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:09 pm Kind of bent over my desktop, I think I understand discomfort typing. I don't see such evidence, and glad. For me, forums are about conversation, not points.
Well said.
Was it? Because I'm not sure what he means. He's bent over his desktop? But he doesn't see evidence? Of what? Whose talking about points, or tracking them?
Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
Yep, I agree, Cuthbert.

And GEE, wouldn't it be great if instead of my having to quote you here in order express this thought, there was some kind of, oh I dunno, maybe a "LIKE" button or SOMETHING I could have used INSTEAD???

(...what a novel idea, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

LOL
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:16 pm Was it? Because I'm not sure what he means. He's bent over his desktop? But he doesn't see evidence? Of what? Whose talking about points, or tracking them?
I think it's haiku.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 13th, 2022, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:26 am . . . And GEE, wouldn't it be great if instead of my having to quote you here in order express this thought, there was some kind of, oh I dunno, maybe a "LIKE" button or SOMETHING I could have used INSTEAD?? . . .
Ahhh, but a Like isn't as entertaining and witty as you are, Dargo!

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:31 am
Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:26 am . . . And GEE, wouldn't it be great if instead of my having to quote you here in order express this thought, there was some kind of, oh I dunno, maybe a "LIKE" button or SOMETHING I could have used INSTEAD?? . . .
Okay EPM! There's NO reason to butter me up here, ya know.

Ya see, I've ALREADY cast my "yes" vote in that poll o' yours here.

(...in fact, I think I was the very FIRST person to cast their vote in it today)

;)
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:26 pm
laffite wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:31 pm
sagebrush wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:19 pm I like the "like", "thanks" and "sad" icons. What I would really like, though, is a "quote selection" option.
At 'over there' there was an option to select part of the quote if you wanted to just answer that. Just select and the software would ask, "quote this" and the poster being drawn from would be alerted. I don't think we can do that here at least without a lot of trouble. You can cut and paste the partial post but the member whose post was being quoted would not be alerted by the software.
Strangely enough, I get alerted any time I am in a quote chain so if someone quotes a person who quoted me I am altered even though I wasn’t directly quoted myself.
Not sure what you mean altered. There is nothing different about what you posted. And it is in the right order of the chain. That chain though, does need to be perused and even contemplated on to quite understand perfectly.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:16 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:27 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:09 pm Kind of bent over my desktop, I think I understand discomfort typing. I don't see such evidence, and glad. For me, forums are about conversation, not points.
Well said.
Was it? Because I'm not sure what he means. He's bent over his desktop? But he doesn't see evidence? Of what? Whose talking about points, or tracking them?
Likes aren’t necessarily points but I feel they do put pressure on you somewhat to like certain posts or else it comes off like you dislike the person. It’s just too much effort and pressure to like every comment you agree with. That is what I took from his last part.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 7:17 pm
Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:39 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:30 pm

I guess I disagree. Using a "like" button has nothing to do with "garnering likes;" it's just a simple way for the responder to respond quickly and then move on. That same poster will no doubt spend more in-depth time on other posts/threads.

Despite the many problems, altercations, etc. on the TCM Board, to my knowledge the use of the various buttons never impacted anything negatively. It certainly didn't minimize conversation! The only button that could be confusing at times was the "sad" button, which could be taken different ways.

I would not want to see a "dislike" button.

(I will continue to use a "like" icon when I feel it's relevant; it just takes up so much more space than a simple button would!)

AGREE. Sometimes a LIKE or LAUGH is all that's needed. No discussion required! Who cares how many likes one has???
Hibi, as you may recall there were a few posters on the old TCM boards who took pride in their "reputation points" that were based on the number of "likes" that their posts received.

LOL. I don't think that would apply here.

There was even one extremely annoying poster who created a thread called "What Do Likes Mean?"
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:39 am

(...in fact, I think I was the very FIRST person to cast their vote in it today)

;)
-Liked :lol:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

ziggy6708a wrote: December 13th, 2022, 9:39 pm
Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:39 am

;)
-Liked :lol:
I LIKE your LIKE!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: December 13th, 2022, 12:26 am
Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:28 pm The fact that there may have been a couple of posters who got off on how many "likes" they got, is a red herring. It doesn't diminish the value of the "like" button for users of the button.
Yep, I agree, Cuthbert.

And GEE, wouldn't it be great if instead of my having to quote you here in order express this thought, there was some kind of, oh I dunno, maybe a "LIKE" button or SOMETHING I could have used INSTEAD???

(...what a novel idea, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

LOL
LIKE!
laffite

Post by laffite »

My record for LIKES in a single post was 17 at TCM. It was a dry comment targeting the infamous "enfant terrible."

MissWonderly3 (Where are you, BTW?) posted something about Asta that garnered 23 likes.

I don't keep track, but TCM published the list (that I visited maybe two or three times in all the years). The highest was was well into the 20s.

For the record, I don't think that I have experienced any orgiastic dances of enthusiasm.

:smiley_happygroup:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 6:41 pm
My record for LIKES in a single post was 17 at TCM. It was a dry comment targeting the infamous "enfant terrible."

MissWonderly3 (Where are you, BTW?) posted something about Asta that garnered 23 likes.

I don't keep track, but TCM published the list (that I visited maybe two or three times in all the years). The highest was was well into the 20s.

For the record, I don't think that I have experienced any orgiastic dances of enthusiasm.

You should do your orgiastic dance of enthusiasm. I've always thought of you as a Maenad!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

17 Likes? Wow, I had three on one of my posts, along with a sad, two confused, and a rotten egg.
Last edited by Thompson on December 21st, 2022, 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:19 pm
laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 6:41 pm

You should do your orgiastic dance of enthusiasm. I've always thought of you as a Maenad!
No, despite my occasional extravagance, I am more a Hermes fan. But if I were a young hot thing I would most assiduously vie for a place in heart of that orgiastic God-dy to which you indirectly refer.
And besides I could never be Maenad. After all you have to be female for that. And I am not.