Request for Like/Thank Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Thompson

Re: Request for Like/Thank Button

Post by Thompson »

Yeah, when you wind up under the overpass, you gotta have a bucket. You can sing all the songs they will let you sing at open mic, but in the end you go back to your tent and your bucket.
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: December 11th, 2022, 8:00 pm To Be Filed Under "Going Out on a Limb"
Masha wrote: December 11th, 2022, 2:48 am
Posit this: One person on Facebook has fifty thousand friends who follow their posts and 'Like' all their opinions. A different person has three friends who borrow each other's tools and constantly argue about which football team is best. Both of these people have the sudden need for help to hide a body before the police arrive. Which one is likely to have to go it alone?
Care to get something off your chest, Masha? You're among "friends." I, for one, promise to keep your secret. Honest! Dependent, of course, on your monthly deposit of a modest stipend (defined by me) in my savings account.

MEANWHILE BACK IN THE COURT (of public opinion): THE PEOPLE (well, some people) vs THE LIKE BUTTON

Exhibit A*, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury

Here's a more cogent argument FOR a Like button:

Fifty thousand women want the right to control their own bodies. But a comparative minority of Puritans refuse them that right. Not only do the Puritans deny themselves the right, they want to deny EVERYONE the right!

To apply my analogy to the topic at hand: If you don't want a Like button, don't use it!

* And I'm not picking on you, Marysara!
But EP, we are human beings and therefore but frail. If there is a LIKE button, it will be clicked. We don't have the will power to maintain our own standards. We sin against ourselves worse that being sinned against by others . Soon the impulse to click on the damn thing will be overwhelming. And then we are on the slippery slope. No, out of sight, out of mind, is the only way. :cool:

Bold on that last sentence by laffite (for emphasis) :smiley_innocent:

:smiley_snoopy: (Sigh)
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

EP Millstone wrote: December 11th, 2022, 8:42 pm
Dargo wrote: December 11th, 2022, 8:11 pm LOL

Kind'a flirtin' a bit with danger here by usin' a "HOT button" issue in order to press for a "LIKE button" on these here boards, aren't ya EPM?! ;) LOL

(...don't get me wrong here though, as I DO think your little analogy here is actually a fairly valid one)
Well, I'm a Big Flirt!

In all seriousness and all honesty, whether a Like button and/or other reaction buttons are added to The SSO makes absolutely no difference to me. But if reaction buttons are added, those who want them will use them and those who don't want them won't use them. The Pro folks won't be denying and depriving the Anti folks of anything. Whereas such won't be the case in the reverse situation.
I disagree because it is about the atmosphere that reactions would create. It would be just a totally different set up and lead to stuff like the spammers and the multiple account posters on the other site. We don’t need to go into that again but it should be obvious that it’s not as easy as ignoring a button because it’s not actually about the button but the environment which said button creates.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: December 11th, 2022, 10:39 pm Some people wish to empty their chamberpots directly into the stream which runs through the village. Others do not want them to do so.

Your wisdom is that those who do not want chamberpots emptied into their drinking water do not have to empty their chamberpots into the stream.
Ahhhh, sewage you're saying is that reaction buttons are similar to the contents of chamberpots? Bilge!

Equating a threat to public health with a "threat" to discussion in a Web forum? Tch! Analogical reasoning is an offal thing to waste, Masha!

How the Like Button Ruined the Internet
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

To be honest, I feel that a "like" button discourages interaction and is a net negative in a forum. It's far to easy to just click "like" and move on, which we see on Social Media all the time. A forum like this is meant for discussion, not garnering "likes". I am not going to consider adding this unless we have an OVERWHELMING desire expressed for it. If someone wants to make a poll, go for it. But my inclination is to NOT do a "like" button (or a "dislike" button). :)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I'm for adding a like and a laugh button. I think dislike is rude and is not needed especially with a lot less posters here than on the TCM board.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:24 am I'm for adding a like and a laugh button. I think dislike is rude and is not needed especially with a lot less posters here than on the TCM board.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

This is off topic, but is there a way to see a members list to this board? Some former posters on TCM are MIA and I'm trying to see who's here. I know some joined Tops board.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:40 am This is off topic, but is there a way to see a members list to this board? Some former posters on TCM are MIA and I'm trying to see who's here. I know some joined Tops board.
Hibi,

Click Quick links below the pic of Myrna Loy to see a Members link.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

EP Millstone wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:47 am
Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:40 am This is off topic, but is there a way to see a members list to this board? Some former posters on TCM are MIA and I'm trying to see who's here. I know some joined Tops board.
Hibi,

Click Quick links below the pic of Myrna Loy to see a Members link.
Thanks!
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lomm wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:14 am To be honest, I feel that a "like" button discourages interaction and is a net negative in a forum. It's far to easy to just click "like" and move on, which we see on Social Media all the time. A forum like this is meant for discussion, not garnering "likes". I am not going to consider adding this unless we have an OVERWHELMING desire expressed for it. If someone wants to make a poll, go for it. But my inclination is to NOT do a "like" button (or a "dislike" button). :)
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :smilie_happy_thumbup: :D :yahoo: :smiley_clap:

The only social media feature which I find interesting is: Reddit Recap. This is an annual review of your browsing statistics on the site. There are various aspects which are covered. The one which I find both helpful and disturbing is:

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:08 pm
The only social media feature which I find interesting is: Reddit Recap. This is an annual review of your browsing statistics on the site. There are various aspects which are covered. The one which I find both helpful and disturbing is:

Hmmm...I wonder if the person who came up with this idea as some sort of measurement was a big Jackie Gleason fan???

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lomm wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:14 am To be honest, I feel that a "like" button discourages interaction and is a net negative in a forum. It's far to easy to just click "like" and move on, which we see on Social Media all the time. A forum like this is meant for discussion, not garnering "likes". I am not going to consider adding this unless we have an OVERWHELMING desire expressed for it. If someone wants to make a poll, go for it. But my inclination is to NOT do a "like" button (or a "dislike" button). :)
I guess I disagree. Using a "like" button has nothing to do with "garnering likes;" it's just a simple way for the responder to respond quickly and then move on. That same poster will no doubt spend more in-depth time on other posts/threads.

Despite the many problems, altercations, etc. on the TCM Board, to my knowledge the use of the various buttons never impacted anything negatively. It certainly didn't minimize conversation! The only button that could be confusing at times was the "sad" button, which could be taken different ways.

I would not want to see a "dislike" button.

(I will continue to use a "like" icon when I feel it's relevant; it just takes up so much more space than a simple button would! Hibi's post about wanting to see a list of members is a good example. I simply wanted to register agreement with him, I don't need to say anything apart from "like.")
Last edited by Swithin on December 12th, 2022, 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Cuthbert wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:30 pm
I guess I disagree. Using a "like" button has nothing to do with "garnering likes;" it's just a simple way for the responder to respond quickly and then move on. That same poster will no doubt spend more in-depth time on other posts/threads.

Despite the many problems, altercations, etc. on the TCM Board, to my knowledge the use of the various buttons never impacted anything negatively. It certainly didn't minimize conversation! The only button that could be confusing at times was the "sad" button, which could be taken different ways.

I would not want to see a "dislike" button.

(I will continue to use a "like" icon when I feel it's relevant; it just takes up so much more space than a simple button would!)

AGREE. Sometimes a LIKE or LAUGH is all that's needed. No discussion required! Who cares how many likes one has???