Babylon 2022

Swithin

Re: Babylon 2022

Post by Swithin »

“Eat another rat!"

Babylon, which I’ve just seen, is a horror movie. If there is any question about that, it is totally dispelled about two hours and 15 minutes into the more than three-hour film, when Tobey Maguire shows up. Maguire could be any mad doctor in a horror film, taking unsuspecting guests to view his menagerie (e.g. The Black Sleep).

But the whole movie is about a menagerie. There is little magic and few “normal” people in Babylon: just a hodgepodge of early Hollywood freaks, struggling to get along as the silent era morphs into the age of sound. The three leads — Brad Pitt (Jack), Margot Robbie (Nellie), and Diego Calva (Manny) — play their roles well, but Robbie is too OTT. The character is supposed to be OTT, but it goes too far. The scene where they try to pass her off as cultured is like something out of My Fair Lady or Bells Are Ringing ("Drop that Name.") And she doesn’t look like a woman of the late 1920s. in fact, I didn’t really get the feel of time and place, the way I did in a far better film about early Hollywood: The Day of the Locust (1975). The language is of the 2020s.

Yet, although I have to think more about this, I liked Babylon, sort of. It's a movie of excess and set pieces, some excellent, some less so. The orgy at the beginning went on too long and therefore fell flat. It reminded me of that endless vampire fight in the Tarantino-written From Dusk to Dawn (1996), a scene that might have worked had it not been so endless. But I must confess, it is interesting to see a film that tries to show every conceivable fluid and solid that can come out of the human (and animal) body, leaving the audience to decide which they prefer: the elephant excrement? Blood? The pus and snake venom that’s sucked out of Nellie’s neck? The projectile vomit scene? All the urine, which shows up in so many ways? Tears? I’m sure the fluids that I haven’t mentioned must have shown up as well; certainly the acts that produce them were there in full force.

It is believed in certain parts of the world that elephant excrement can cure a headache. Despite that, Diego Calva’s Manny, who gets covered in it at the top of Babylon, is probably the man with the most headaches in the film. His character is also the best thing about the film, although I think he would have given up on Nellie much earlier. But the final shot — Manny in a movie theater in 1952, tears streaming down his face — is actually quite moving, though other aspects of the ending are reminiscent of the end of How the West Was Won, which seems to show the L.A. Freeway as the apex of American ingenuity.

I agree with Manolha Dargis' review in The New York Times, which ends:

"There are moments in Babylon, say, in one of its set pieces or in Nellie’s skillfully forced tears, when you see what it might have been if Chazelle had paid as much attention to the era’s films, their pleasure and beauty, as to its lurid stories. He’s crammed a lot in, including Irving Thalberg (Max Minghella), the legendary M.G.M. producer who butchered Erich von Stroheim’s 1924 masterpiece Greed. A clownish Stroheim-esque type (an uncredited Spike Jonze) also pops up in Babylon, and both he and the epic he’s directing are played for laughs. Here, as throughout this disappointing movie, what’s missing is the one thing that defined the silent era at its greatest and to which Chazelle remains bafflingly oblivious: its art".

I think I'll watch Babylon again.

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Interesting analysis, Swintin. I read the leaked draft script but have not seen the movie itself yet, but your reaction with the film feels sort of how I felt with the script: that is wasn't very period authentic, that it went outrageous to the point of tedium at times, that the character work was sort of sloppy, especially with Robbie's character (in the script, her character was literally Clara Bow, but I assume the name was changed maybe due to the threat of a lawsuit from her estate, ditto the way another character was originally Anna May Wong) , and yet, there was something about it that I can't quite put my finger on that did work, that gave it some degree of distinction.

Someone on another website compared it in overall structure to 1997's Boogie Nights, and thinking about it more, there is a general resemblance in how they are constructed, with the aforementioned Tobey Maguire taking the place of that film's Alfred Molina.

It is part of a whole wave of films recently that are seemingly urgently trying to provide interest in movies as well as movie theatres (The Fabelmans and Empire of Light also from last year, although the biggest and best film of this wave is 2019's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood).

I do agree with you though that The Day of the Locust is an absolute cinematic knockout, and should be better known. It faltered at the box office in 1975, and the Oscars mostly gave it the cold shoulder (Burgess Meredith and the cinematography were nominated), but for my money, it's one of the 10 best films of the whole decade of the 1970s.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 7th, 2023, 6:24 am Interesting analysis, Swintin. I read the leaked draft script but have not seen the movie itself yet, but your reaction with the film feels sort of how I felt with the script: that is wasn't very period authentic, that it went outrageous to the point of tedium at times, that the character work was sort of sloppy, especially with Robbie's character (in the script, her character was literally Clara Bow, but I assume the name was changed maybe due to the threat of a lawsuit from her estate, ditto the way another character was originally Anna May Wong) , and yet, there was something about it that I can't quite put my finger on that did work, that gave it some degree of distinction.

Someone on another website compared it in overall structure to 1997's Boogie Nights, and thinking about it more, there is a general resemblance in how they are constructed, with the aforementioned Tobey Maguire taking the place of that film's Alfred Molina.

It is part of a whole wave of films recently that are seemingly urgently trying to provide interest in movies as well as movie theatres (The Fabelmans and Empire of Light also from last year, although the biggest and best film of this wave is 2019's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood).

I do agree with you though that The Day of the Locust is an absolute cinematic knockout, and should be better known. It faltered at the box office in 1975, and the Oscars mostly gave it the cold shoulder (Burgess Meredith and the cinematography were nominated), but for my money, it's one of the 10 best films of the whole decade of the 1970s.
I've started watching it again. I agree with you that "there was something about it that I can't quite put my finger on that did work, that gave it some degree of distinction." I've seen Boogie Nights but don't remember much about it; and I don't remember why, but I wasn't particularly impressed by Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, though I recall liking it well enough. Oh -- I just googled it -- I had forgotten it's a Tarantino film. I think when you come to his films (and others like them) from the lens of having watched horror films and camp since the age of six, they seem to be pale imitations. I remember seeing Pulp Fiction and thinking "ho-hum." I prefer Babylon, which does have a soul, despite my misgivings. I'm waiting impatiently for Season 4 of Babylon Berlin, which touches on UFA and takes place around the same time as Babylon, with which it has similarities.

Regarding Clara Bow, I had read that there was a connection, but Bow lived to the age of 60, married, had two sons, and settled down, so if there was a connection, it was vague. Bow retired from acting and, with husband Rex Bell, became a rancher. Bell became active in politics, becoming the Lieutenant Governor of Nevada, during the time he was married to Bow. The Bell/Bow marriage was the only marriage for each of them. According to Wikipedia, Bow left an estate valued at $500,000 when she died, not a bad legacy for 1965.