OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Hibi »

Yes, Dusty's is better than Dionne's version. Wishin' and Hopin' too. For some reason, Wishin' and Hopin" was not released as a single in the U.K. only in the U.S. (Which is odd, as Dusty recorded on the same label in both countries at that time).
Last edited by Hibi on February 10th, 2023, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Hibi wrote: February 9th, 2023, 3:17 pm I know. I feel thankful for being young in those days when music was REALLY music! I can't bear listening to what passes for music today.
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thanks for that article. That's the best I've read so far. The network news obits last night were sadly lacking.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dennis Lotis, who successfully fought witches in City of the Dead (Horror Hotel), has died aged 97. The Guardian obituary gives a good overview of his varied career in music, film, and theater.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... s-obituary

Dennis Lotis (left), with Norman MacOwan in City of the Dead (1960)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: February 10th, 2023, 10:23 am Thanks for that article. That's the best I've read so far. The network news obits last night were sadly lacking.
Well Hibi, it's like I told ya a while back here.

In a time when the half-hour network news broadcasts only really contain 16 minutes out of their half-hour to report the news (the other 14 minutes consisting of Big Pharma and insurance commercial...yep, I actually clocked it once), there's really little to no time left for them to go into any in-depth reporting about, well, ANYTHING, and let alone the life of some newly deceased celebrity.

(...btw...the only reasons I still occasionally though rarely watch any of them anymore is because I love looking into those beautiful blue/green eyes of Norah O'Donnell's, AND watching CBS's Steve Hartman's always uplifting human interest "On The Road" stories they present as their last segment during their Friday evening broadcasts and of which never fail to warm the cockles of my cold cold heart) ;)
Last edited by Dargo on February 12th, 2023, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: February 12th, 2023, 2:40 pm Dennis Lotis, who successfully fought witches in City of the Dead (Horror Hotel), has died aged 97 . . .

Interesting car in that profile on Lotis!

All I knew about Dennis Lotis was that he was in Horror Hotel/The City of the Dead. I didn't know that he was a popular recording artist.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: February 12th, 2023, 4:45 pm
Swithin wrote: February 12th, 2023, 2:40 pm Dennis Lotis, who successfully fought witches in City of the Dead (Horror Hotel), has died aged 97 . . .
All I knew about Dennis Lotis was that he was in Horror Hotel/The City of the Dead. I didn't know that he was a popular recording artist.
I didn't know about his singing career either. Btw, Venetia Stevenson, who played the sister he goes searching for in Horror Hotel, died in September. She was the daughter of Robert Stevenson and Anna Lee and had been married to Russ Tamblyn and Don Everly.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: February 12th, 2023, 8:27 pm . . . Btw, Venetia Stevenson . . . had been married to Russ Tamblyn and Don Everly.
A ménage à trois! Kink-eeee!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: February 12th, 2023, 4:02 pm
Hibi wrote: February 10th, 2023, 10:23 am Thanks for that article. That's the best I've read so far. The network news obits last night were sadly lacking.
Well Hibi, it's like I told ya a while back here.

In a time when the half-hour network news broadcasts only really contain 16 minutes out of their half-hour to report the news (the other 14 minutes consisting of Big Pharma and insurance commercial...yep, I actually clocked it once), there's really little to no time left for them to go into any in-depth reporting about, well, ANYTHING, and let alone the life of some newly deceased celebrity.

(...btw...the only reasons I still occasionally though rarely watch any of them anymore is because I love looking into those beautiful blue/green eyes of Norah O'Donnell's, AND watching CBS's Steve Hartman's always uplifting human interest "On The Road" stories they present as their last segment during their Friday evening broadcasts and of which never fail to warm the cockles of my cold cold heart) ;)

I know. That's why I watch CNN or MSNBC to get more depth on news stories. You don't get much from network news anymore. Maybe half a dozen stories total. Some stories never make it on the air! Half the time is commercials. Morning news is the same way. I'm constantly switching channels, but since I'm upstairs getting ready it's not always practical to run downstairs constantly in the morning.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Hugh Hudson, British director of Chariots of Fire, died last Friday, February 10.
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/hugh ... 235519555/
When in doubt, have another one.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Spanish filmmaker Carlos Saura, who directed Ana y los Lobos, Cría Cuervos, and Mamá Cumple 100 Años among other films, also died last Friday, the day before he was about to be honored at the Goya Awards ceremony. The Honorary Award had already been presented to him some time before due to his poor health.
When in doubt, have another one.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Raquel Has Died!

WOW. Just hitting the airwaves.

https://pagesix.com/2023/02/15/raquel-welch-dead-at-82/
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: February 15th, 2023, 3:00 pm Raquel Has Died!
IMO, Raquel Welch improved as an actress as she matured. Her appearance on Seinfeld was, to me, quite funny.