OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Swithin

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Swithin »

Ryan O'Neal has left us at the age of 82. It's hard to think of him as anything but an attractive and talented young actor. RIP.

Ryan O'Neal as Barry Lyndon in 1982.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: December 8th, 2023, 10:29 pm Ryan O'Neal has left us at the age of 82. It's hard to think of him as anything but an attractive and talented young actor.
While I KNOW I probably shouldn't say the following (as it being a clear case of "Too Soon" here) BUT and IF this comment be true, then this MIGHT be because the guy did little work worthy of remembering after his heyday of the 1970s. And this, of course, because of his history of drug abuse and erratic behavior.

(...sorry, but I've always placed Ryan here near the top of my "They Threw Their Careers Away" List)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: December 8th, 2023, 10:55 pm
Swithin wrote: December 8th, 2023, 10:29 pm Ryan O'Neal has left us at the age of 82. It's hard to think of him as anything but an attractive and talented young actor.
While I KNOW I probably shouldn't say the following (as it being a clear case of "Too Soon" here) BUT and IF this comment be true, then this MIGHT be because the guy did little work worthy of remembering after his heyday of the 1970s. And this, of course, because of his history of drug abuse and erratic behavior.

(...sorry, but I've always placed Ryan here near the top of my "They Threw Their Careers Away" List)
Btw here Swithin...

I sure seem to be comin' across lately as a real HARD-ASS, don't I?!!! ;)

Uh-huh, FIRST that whole "Kim Stanley" thing and now THIS, huh!

(...but no and if you're wonderin' here, everything is just FINE here at home...I just get like this, this whole "unvarished truth" kind'a thing that is, sometimes, THAT'S all!!!) LOL
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

OH NO!
I feel so badly, he was a fave actor of mine. He was so talented, he just made you believe him all the while knowing you were watching Ryan O'Neal. He always seemed to add a bit of business to his charactors that made them more lifelike, recognizable people.

But I also realize he had suffered numerous health issues & struggled with wellness a long time. Last interview I saw with him, thought he looked pretty good considering all he's gone through.

He & Tatum are on my living room wall, staring at the TV over my shoulder:

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

skimpole wrote: December 9th, 2023, 3:30 am The tv series Peyton Place made him rich, Love Story made him famous, Paper Moonwhere he played the unwed father to his actual daughter, showed the potential he did not seem that interested in pursuing. But it was Barry Lyndon which makes him immortal, and Stanley Kubrick was the only director who could have done that.
BARRY LYNDON is wonderful (long and boring - I love it!) But, it works for me because the title character is unlikable... like the actor.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 9th, 2023, 12:40 pm
skimpole wrote: December 9th, 2023, 3:30 am The tv series Peyton Place made him rich, Love Story made him famous, Paper Moonwhere he played the unwed father to his actual daughter, showed the potential he did not seem that interested in pursuing. But it was Barry Lyndon which makes him immortal, and Stanley Kubrick was the only director who could have done that.
BARRY LYNDON is wonderful (long and boring - I love it!) But, it works for me because the title character is unlikable... like the actor.
LOL

Yep, ain't it funny how it's always kind'a hard to like a guy who's always giving off the impression that he's pretty much just a frat boy at heart?!

Although, I WILL say here that for MY money, Ryan WAS pretty darn good in the film that Tiki has a poster of hanging on her wall.

(...yep, gotta admit I liked him in that one...and even though I thought his daughter was even better in it)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

RYAN O'NEAL works well in a few of his movies, even I'm sentimental about LOVE STORY. I admit his personal life influences me toward disliking him.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I am of two minds about O'Neal. I don't much like him offscreen, but I love the Peyton Place TV series, the three Bogdanovich films he did, and Barry Lyndon. (Plus The Big Bounce is underrated, Tough Guys Don't Dance is a campy dirty hoot, and he has a nice supporting part in Chances Are). So yes I am conflicted, but I have some good memories
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

skimpole wrote: December 7th, 2023, 2:48 am
Nellie LaRoy wrote: December 6th, 2023, 6:17 pm Marisa Pavan, Oscar-Nominated Actress in ‘The Rose Tattoo,’ Dies at 91

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235715265/

In case you were wondering, Pavan was the not the earliest surviving Best Supporting Actress nominee. Nancy Olson was nominated five years earlier and is still alive.
Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I heard the Ryan O'Neal news Fri. night. I remember Peyton Place! I didn't realize he was that old. He had a spotty career, but had the good luck to appear in a few well regarded films that will be remembered. (not a fan of Love Story!) I feel really old now. It seemed like he spent the last half of his life in the headlines (and not in a good way) R.I.P.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

The Guardian's OBIT of Shirley Anne Field ...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/d ... actor-died
CinemaInternational

Feinberg wrote: December 12th, 2023, 9:13 am Image

The Guardian's OBIT of Shirley Anne Field ...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/d ... actor-died
And she dies just as she is seen on TCM last night in Alfie! I also remember her from Kings of the Sun, My Beautiful Laundrette, and Hear My Song. And she was the guilty party in a very memorable episode of Murder, She Wrote.
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 10:13 am I heard the Ryan O'Neal news Fri. night. I remember Peyton Place! I didn't realize he was that old. He had a spotty career, but had the good luck to appear in a few well regarded films that will be remembered. (not a fan of Love Story!) I feel really old now. It seemed like he spent the last half of his life in the headlines (and not in a good way) R.I.P.
Love Story is seemingly one of the most hated of all best picture nominees.... And I get it, because it is definitely a flawed film, a small little thing that got whipped into being a big one due to a tiny book made out of the script treatment. O'Neal is OK in it, but Ali MacGraw (who actually was good in Goodbye Columbus and Just Tell Me What You Want) suffers from really terrible dialogue overly reliant on swearing. I don't know if any actress could have made that dialogue work.

As for Peyton Place, it is on YouTube almost in full, with most episodes cut into two ten minute parts. One episode is missing, another one only consists of an 8 minute clip, but the remaining 512 episodes are there. Here is the first.