OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ziggy6708a

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by ziggy6708a »

Hibi wrote: March 9th, 2023, 10:12 am I had heard nothing about Topol either.
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Yes, I do recall hearing about the case with Robert Blake's wife getting killed, and how he was tried for the crime and was exonerated, even though many felt, then and now, that he was guilty..... I was too young at the time to really know many of the details, but I do know that enough thought he was guilty that they had a memorably cynical line on the TV series Boston Legal when Betty White's character (who had killed a man before he had a chance to kill her) said "I want the jury that acquitted Baretta."

As for his film career, I definitely recall him in In Cold Blood, and when he was a child in Humoresque and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. He was in This Property is Condemned but I don't recall him in it; I have yet to see Lost Highway, or the entirety of Electra Glide in Blue (which did seem very good from what little I saw)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Not so sad about Robert Blake. He got away with murder.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

ziggy6708a wrote: March 9th, 2023, 10:04 pm
Hibi wrote: March 9th, 2023, 10:12 am I had heard nothing about Topol either.
At least TCM did something. Did he rate a Remembers?
Last edited by Hibi on March 10th, 2023, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 10th, 2023, 7:25 am Yes, I do recall hearing about the case with Robert Blake's wife getting killed, and how he was tried for the crime and was exonerated, even though many felt, then and now, that he was guilty..... I was too young at the time to really know many of the details, but I do know that enough thought he was guilty that they had a memorably cynical line on the TV series Boston Legal when Betty White's character (who had killed a man before he had a chance to kill her) said "I want the jury that acquitted Baretta."

As for his film career, I definitely recall him in In Cold Blood, and when he was a child in Humoresque and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. He was in This Property is Condemned but I don't recall him in it; I have yet to see Lost Highway, or the entirety of Electra Glide in Blue (which did seem very good from what little I saw)
I finally did see Electra when TCM ran it a year or so ago. It was good. And Blake as well. I remember the big deal at Cannes, but it didn't translate to big B.O. in the U.S. when it was released here.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Hibi wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:59 am Not so sad about Robert Blake. He got away with murder.
TCM Remembers Robert Blake in Cold Blood
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

He would know.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Blake was one of the few child actors who also found success as an adult actor. As Mickey Gubitosi he was the center of one of my favorite OUR GANG shorts, "All About Hash." He also did a good George in a "made for TV" presentation of "Of Mice And Men". in '81. And I still get a kick out of seeing him in THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE and no....

I don't believe he "got away with murder". I do believe THAT belief stems on the disappointment in another celebrity(OJ Simpson) getting away with murder.

Sepiatone
Andree

Post by Andree »

-Mister, could you stake a fellow American to a meal?

-Hey that's my line kid. Beat it.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Oneeyeopen

Post by Oneeyeopen »

We lost Robert Blake this week. One of the last, if not the last one from the Our Gang era.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Great drummer Jim Gordon died on the 13th of March.https://www.rollingstone.comjim-gordon-eric-clapton-drummer-dead-obituary-