OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
txfilmfan

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by txfilmfan »

Masha wrote: February 28th, 2023, 3:37 pm I have learned now that: Chris Browne passed away on: February 5, 2023.

His link to films is a television movie: Hägar the Horrible: Hägar Knows Best (1989).

He was a cartoonist who continued: Hägar the Horrible after his father passed away. He worked for a time also on: Hi and Lois.

His work was all quite wonderful and I fear for what might become of the comic strip now.
He passed away a day after the comic had its 50th anniversary. I haven't read anything about a successor being readied. Usually the successor works side-by-side with the previous artist for several years before taking over.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:14 am I just found out after visiting his studio museum, a young Frank Frazetta drew Lil Abner for years! . . .
This is the museum, correct?

I have fond memories of the comic strip Li'l Abner. When I read it (during the 1960s), its popularity had long ago peaked and its creator Al Capp had become a crochety, conservative crank. Charles Schulz's simply and economically drawn Peanuts (which, perhaps, anticipated the shrinking size of, and space afforded to, newspaper comic strips) was the reigning 'toon on the "funnies pages." Lamentably gone were the glory days of large ("tabloid sized"), beautifully drawn, wonderfully detailed comics such as Flash Gordon by Alex Raymond, Prince Valiant by Hal Foster, Steve Canyon by Milton Caniff, The Spirit by Will Eisner, and Capp's L'il Abner.

Had I been around a decade earlier, ogling the erotic Dogpatch gals in Li'l Abner drawn by Frank Frazetta undoubtedly would have potently and instantly induced puberty.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

txfilmfan wrote: February 28th, 2023, 10:05 am
Feinberg wrote: February 28th, 2023, 2:54 am Gordon Pinsent the Canadian actor dies at 92.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/fi ... sent-dead/
He played the U.S. President in one of my childhood guilty pleasures: Colossus: The Forbin Project
I really liked that film too. I named two of my first computers Colossus and Guardian.

And Pinsent joined a group of Canadian actors who have played U.S. Presidents. Some that come to mind are Walter Huston, Raymond Massey, Alexander Knox, William Shatner, Glenn Ford, Douglass Dumbrille, Christopher Plummer, Lloyd Bochner and Bruce Greenwood
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Horror film legend Ricou Browning who starred as Gill-man in Creature from the Black Lagoon dies aged 93 from natural causes
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw Gordon Pinsett in an episode of "Cannon" the other night. Oddly coincidental in its timing, the episode followed the order of previous nights. I came to know Pinsett by his bragging, lying, but genial character in "Red Green."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

EP Millstone wrote: February 28th, 2023, 10:14 pm
Hey Millstone-thanks for posting that clip- that's amazing!
Frazetta strikes me as a perfect cross of Tony Curtis & Robert Mitchum, haha.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: March 1st, 2023, 9:34 am
EP Millstone wrote: February 28th, 2023, 10:14 pm
Hey Millstone-thanks for posting that clip- that's amazing!
Frazetta strikes me as a perfect cross of Tony Curtis & Robert Mitchum, haha.
You're welcome!

Frank Frazetta could have well been a model in his own paintings. Unlike the "stereotypical" perception of a cartoonist and artist, Frazetta looked like a Greek God-Hollywood matinée idol-GQ cover boy. Similar to one of his contemporaries, comic-book illustrator extraordinaire Jim Steranko, Frazetta was a super-cool Rock Star Idol who shattered the "mold" of an unprepossessing, nerdy wallflower who liked to draw comics.

I tried to find the 2003 documentary Frank Frazetta: Painting with Fire on the Web, but no dice. If you're a Frazetta fan, you might seek it out.

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Frazetta was/is THE Edgar Rice Burroughs artist to me, with his memorable John Carter and Tarzan cover paintings. Also Robert E Howard (Conan). I have a few prints of his hanging around the house.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Feinberg wrote: March 1st, 2023, 7:38 am Horror film legend Ricou Browning who starred as Gill-man in Creature from the Black Lagoon dies aged 93 from natural causes
And yet, wouldn't it have been more than a little ironic if he had died as a result of drowning in his swimming pool?!!!

(...sorry for the gallows humor here, folks...just couldn't resist...and hey, besides, I'd say 93 years is a pretty darn good run, wouldn't ya say?!...I'll take that anyway...well, as long as my retirement portfolio holds out that long, anyway)
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Chaim Topol, famed for playing Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof has passed at the age of 88. Other films included Before Winter Comes (with David Niven), The Public Eye (with Mia Farrow, directed by Sir Carol Reed), Flash Gordon, and For Your Eyes Only.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... r-AA18opyd
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks CI, for the Topol announcement-I saw nothing about it. Very talented guy.

Wow, I had no idea Bert I Gordon was still with us at 100. Sad to find this out because he died. Rest In Peace, Bert and condolences to daughter Susan.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I had heard nothing about Topol either.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ziggy6708a wrote: March 9th, 2023, 3:44 am
This news is BIG!

Well, they don't make 'em like Bert I. Gordon* anymore. Who will inherit his mantle, crown, and throne? No one, alas. He left behind britches that were too BIG too fill.

RIP BIG and TTFN

The Films of Bert I. Gordon Ranked for His 100th Birthday

* The photo of "Writer-director-producer Bert I. Gordon in the 1950s" in the Filmbobbery (which should change its name to FilmBOOBery!) profile is radio comedian Bert Gordon, not Bert I. Gordon!