OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Dargo

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: December 30th, 2023, 2:31 pm Image
Tiki, I figured you (and maybe a few others here) might enjoy watching this duo's final appearance made during Johnny Carson's last year of hosting 'The Tonight Show' in 1992.

I've just watched it and it had me laughing out loud so many times. After the Marxes, they were always my favorite brother act.

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

skimpole wrote: December 30th, 2023, 5:36 pm
Swithin wrote: December 30th, 2023, 1:02 pm Tom Wilkinson has died aged 75.

Although perhaps best known to filmgoers for his role in The Full Monty and other movies (Oscar-nominated for Michael Clayton), he was a great actor in many media. I had the pleasure to see him on stage several times, including The White Chameleon, Ghosts (with Vanessa Redgrave), and The Crucible.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/d ... es-aged-75
He was also oscar-nominated for In the Bedroom.
He gave wonderful work in both of his nominated perfoemances....
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

also remember her as the charming 'Mabel' in The Ideal Husband ('47)
& Miranda ('48) as the mermaid

:(
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Lily Garland

Post by Lily Garland »

Lovely Glynis Johns, such a distinctive voice. It was good to read she was well enough to give an interview for her 100th birthday earlier this year. Among her many screen roles, I remember her playing the daughter of her real-life father Mervyn Johns in Halfway House (1944) and as the dance teacher Ruth in The Card (1952).
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Sad news, but what a great career and legacy! She not only introduced "Send in the Clowns" in the Broadway premiere production of A Little Night Music in 1973, Stephen Sondheim wrote it specifically for her. There are a few videos and recordings of her performance as Desiree Armfeldt, but here is her rendition on the original Broadway cast performance.

Andree

Post by Andree »

I've never seen Mary Poppins and have no plans to do so, but Glynis
was pretty sexy and very un-Disney in The Cabinet of Caligari.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: January 4th, 2024, 6:00 pm Sad news, but what a great career and legacy! She not only introduced "Send in the Clowns" in the Broadway premiere production of A Little Night Music in 1973, Stephen Sondheim wrote it specifically for her. There are a few videos and recordings of her performance as Desiree Armfeldt, but here is her rendition on the original Broadway cast performance.

She also won a Tony for that role...

This song from the same musical always makes me laugh. Here, she supplies the responses to her former lover Fredrik (played by Len Cariou) as he waxes rhapsodic about his new, virginal wife, Anne.

She outlived her only child, a son (also an actor), by nearly two decades. And her first husband and her son's father ended up being Dirk Bogarde's long-time partner. The entertainment industry is a small world, indeed.
CinemaInternational

Glynis was always wonderful, and I am grateful she made it to the age of 100, but I am still sad she is gone now. She was one of the best we had....
CinemaInternational

This one is TV related.

David Soul, one-time star of 70s series Starsky and Hutch, has passed at the age of 80....

https://variety.com/2024/tv/obituaries- ... 235862532/
CinemaInternational

Getting back to Glynis, it seems that the LA area ABC station did a brief 2- minute interview with her just three months ago when she turned 100. It looks as though she was bedridden, but she still had her sharp mind and wit with her still. It was the last time she ever appeared on camera....

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 5th, 2024, 11:42 am This one is TV related.

David Soul, one-time star of 70s series Starsky and Hutch, has passed at the age of 80....

yup...I remember...
:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

David Soul, a Star of the Hit Cop Show ‘Starsky & Hutch,’ Dies at 80

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/05/arts ... -dead.html

sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

TCM Remembers- Glynis Johns:

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 5th, 2024, 11:42 am This one is TV related.

While the vast majority of David Soul's performances were on the small screen, he was in a few movies as well.

Perhaps his most memorable one being as the deadly vigilante motor cop named Davis who attempts to kill Clint Eastwood's Harry Callahan character in 1973's 'Magnum Force', the first of the Dirty Harry sequels.

(...he ends up driving his motorcycle into the San Francisco Bay for his troubles, although of course it was actually famed stuntman Dar Robinson who took the plunge)
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Lily Garland wrote: January 4th, 2024, 5:17 pm Lovely Glynis Johns, such a distinctive voice. It was good to read she was well enough to give an interview for her 100th birthday earlier this year. Among her many screen roles, I remember her playing the daughter of her real-life father Mervyn Johns in Halfway House (1944) and as the dance teacher Ruth in The Card (1952).
Did TCM ever give her a day or SOTM?