OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Feinberg

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Feinberg »

Dargo wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:34 am
Feinberg wrote: April 12th, 2024, 8:02 am
Dargo wrote: April 11th, 2024, 5:26 pm

Yep Feinberg, exactly my thoughts as I watched the closing arguments on TV back then.

(...I remember winching at how clueless Marcia Clark's summation was and actually said right out loud at one point, "Oh geeze. You've just blown it here, lady!")
Not to beat a dead horse, but I just recalled Bugliosi's utter disdain for Darden's summation in which he said to the jury (paraphrasing), "I know that you don't want to convict this man ... I don't want to either ... but ..."
Right there, Bugliosi sated that Darden gave the jury the rope that they needed to acquit Simpson without a second thought.
Yep, and then, and perhaps even more importantly, there was their total and complete mishandling and failure in presenting to the jury the whole Mark Fuhrman issue.

I mean, did any of the prosecutors even attempt to laugh out loud and call out the absolute absurdity and use of hyperbole by the Defense comparing him to a certain German who sported a funny little mustache?

As I recall, no, they didn't.

(...and that's where I've always thought was where the incompetent duo of Clark and Darden REALLY lost their case)
Quite possibly one of the most stunning examples of ineptitude was the decision not to call the witness who was walking his dog and saw a black man speeding away in a White Bronco from the street where the murder had just occurred. The prosecution were worried that he would be discredited as he wrongly guessed the time to be about 20 minutes too late.
They didn't enter OJ's suicide note where he practically confessed because they were worried the jury would feel sorry for him.
And instead of going into detail of how he practically decapitated his wife they constantly deferred to his celebrity.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:03 am
I loved the Jackie Chiles lawyer take off on Seinfeld of Cochran. I think it was the bra case. If it doesn't fit!!
Yeah, Jackie was always good for a laugh. Sue Ellen Mischke the candy bar heiress.
This time she was wearing a bra. Oh Henry, a second tier candy bar IMHO.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: April 11th, 2024, 7:31 pm
Masha wrote: April 11th, 2024, 7:07 pm
All that I knew of it is that police on the chase first arrested John Elway because the APB said to stop a slow-moving white Bronco.
(...but first it wouldn't be as funny, and secondly with this reference being so old, I'd wonder if anyone around here would even get the joke in the first place)
The office wit spent a great deal of time mansplaining why his joke was the most funny ever.

I might have had a hint of an inkling that: 'OJ' was a sports figure. The caption for the newspaper picture of the 'chase' identified it as the: 'Bronco' version of SUV. That was the extent of my knowledge on the subject and I was quite blissful in my ignorance.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: April 12th, 2024, 4:11 pm
All that I knew of it is that police on the chase first arrested John Elway because the APB said to stop a slow-moving white Bronco.

The office wit spent a great deal of time mansplaining why his joke was the most funny ever.

I might have had a hint of an inkling that: 'OJ' was a sports figure. The caption for the newspaper picture of the 'chase' identified it as the: 'Bronco' version of SUV. That was the extent of my knowledge on the subject and I was quite blissful in my ignorance.
Here's what might be an interesting little story, Masha.

At one point during O.J.'s (and actual driver of the Bronco, ex-NFL player Al Cowling) little excursion around L.A. that day, they drove down the 405 freeway and less than a mile from where I was working at the time, the Northwest Airlines Cargo warehouse. My co-workers and I watched it on TV, and then as this thing passed near us, we all stepped outside and watched as all the helicopters chasing that Bronco as they flew over in close proximity.

(...okay sure, so maybe NOT as "up-close-and-personal" a thing as all those celebs I'd put their sorry asses in airline seats and when I worked as a boarding gate supervisor at the other side of LAX, but STILL not a bad little story here, RIGHT?!!) ;) LOL
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Eleanor Coppola, ‘Hearts of Darkness’ Director and Francis Ford Coppola’s Wife, Dies at 87
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: April 12th, 2024, 4:01 pm
Hibi wrote: April 12th, 2024, 9:03 am
I loved the Jackie Chiles lawyer take off on Seinfeld of Cochran. I think it was the bra case. If it doesn't fit!!
Yeah, Jackie was always good for a laugh. Sue Ellen Mischke the candy bar heiress.
This time she was wearing a bra. Oh Henry, a second tier candy bar IMHO.
He was in a handful of episode. Always hilarious. She was in a few other ones as well. The braless wonder.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:01 am
He was in a handful of episode. Always hilarious. She was in a few other ones as well. The braless wonder.
I guess it was inevitable that fate would bring them together. One of my
favorite episodes was the one when Kramer found Merv Griffin's old
talk show set and put it in his apartment and made believe that he
was hosting a talk show. And George's squirrel was attacked by a hawk
at the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: April 15th, 2024, 4:06 pm
Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:01 am
I guess it was inevitable that fate would bring them together. One of my
favorite episodes was the one when Kramer found Merv Griffin's old
talk show set and put it in his apartment and made believe that he
was hosting a talk show. And George's squirrel was attacked by a hawk
at the end.
Yeah, that one was hilarious. He found the old set in the alley dumpster. He also outed Jerry for playing with his girlfriend's toys after he got her to doze off. He had the show's music on tape with Newman in Treacher's part.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 4:18 pm

Yeah, that one was hilarious. He found the old set in the alley dumpster. He also outed Jerry for playing with his girlfriend's toys after he got her to doze off. He had the show's music on tape with Newman in Treacher's part.
And it took them a while to realize he thought he was hosting a talk show.
He even had index cards I think. That was another funny episode. Gave her
turkey to eat and let nature take its course...Zzzzzzz.
Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

Andree

Post by Andree »

Dickey Betts {1943-2024} R.I.P.

Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »