POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

EP Millstone

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:25 am In this situation, the best policy by the Administrators would be to adopt the positive majority voting system. This is not just a majority vote, but a majority of all members. So, if there are 70 members, 36 would have to vote in favor.
The opinions of The Bohemian Rhapsody Bunch (anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me) who didn't vote -- for whatever reason -- are inconsequential, just like in real life, as far as I'm concerned. In life there are participants and those who stand on the sidelines and watch. Players call the shots and win or lose the game. Observers don't.
ElCid wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:25 am It also appears that millstone is being overly critical and harsh toward those who oppose his desire for a like button.
I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

For the record, if the admins and mods decide "Thumb's down!" on a Like button, the world will still turn, the sun will still rise tomorrow, and GaryCooper will still flood the SSO with Twitter screenshots (no offense, GC!). I'll live.
ElCid wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:25 am If the Administrators decide not to add a like button, it would be very poor behavior on the part of the pro-likes to start using the oversized graphics they have demonstrated.
Looks like someone should be prepared to be very unhappy! :smiley_playing:
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 2:34 pm A far easier and much more sensible solution is that the decision be left to the discretion of the user who is the most intelligent, attractive, reasonable and wise. That is quite clearly me . . .
Can we take a poll on this?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 23rd, 2022, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

ElCid wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:25 am In this situation, the best policy by the Administrators would be to adopt the positive majority voting system. This is not just a majority vote, but a majority of all members. So, if there are 70 members, 36 would have to vote in favor.

If the Administrators decide not to add a like button, it would be very poor behavior on the part of the pro-likes to start using the oversized graphics they have demonstrated.
You can rest easy, ElCid, I would have no intention of using those oversize graphics, if the Mods decide to override the vote. But I already think the behavior of the anti-like group to have been so low, and so personal, that I would have to reconsider my membership here. To have been called a troll, and to have been told that, basically, we are uninvited guests in someone's home; and to have someone else who (presumably) voted in the poll who now wants to trash it because it didn't go his way; it would be difficult for me to stay here under those circumstances, particularly since the two members whom I feel have behaved badly are actually two of the reasons I joined this board in the first place!

As the closing of the TCM Board approached, I joined two boards: this one and the other one. Although more TCM “refugees” went to the other one, I had a slight preference for this one, since, as I've said above, some of my favorite posters came here, including the two whose behavior I now find most disturbing. Very disappointing.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 2:41 pm
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every reasonable person changes their mind when new information or considered reflection warrant it.
“Keep true, never be ashamed of doing right, decide on what you think is right and stick to it.” -- George Eliot

To me, someone who is wishy-washy and is easily swayed -- like a leaf that the wind blows from one gutter to another -- lacks integrity and conviction, and is someone whom I regard as untrustworthy and undependable. I strive to avoid such people actually and virtually.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 3:50 pm
You can rest easy, ElCid, I would have no intention of using those oversize graphics, if the Mods decide to override the vote. But I already think the behavior of the anti-like group to have been so low, and so personal, that I would have to reconsider my membership here. To have been called a troll, and to have been told that, basically, we are uninvited guests in someone's home; and to have someone else who (presumably) voted in the poll who now wants to trash it because it didn't go his way; it would be difficult for me to stay here under those circumstances, particularly since the two members whom I feel have behaved badly are actually two of the reasons I joined this board in the first place!

As the closing of the TCM Board approached, I joined two boards: this one and the other one. Although more TCM “refugees” went to the other one, I had a slight preference for this one, since, as I've said above, some of my favorite posters came here, including the two whose behavior I now find most disturbing. Very disappointing.
Wait...do you mean me? Should I not have posted that stomach giving a thumbs up? :shock: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_cheers:
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 3:53 pm

Wait...do you mean me? Should I not have posted that stomach giving a thumbs up? :shock: :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_cheers:
Of course I don't mean you, except as one of the reasons I came here. There are two others -- a woman and a man -- who have behaved in a manner that I would have thought to be beneath them. Should be pretty obvious.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 4:06 pm

Of course I don't mean you. There are two others -- a woman and a man -- who have behaved in a manner that I would have thought to be beneath them. Should be pretty obvious.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Of course I don't mean you. There are two others -- a woman and a man -- who have behaved in a manner that I would have thought to be beneath them, having observed them these many years (and besides, I had no idea that was a stomach!).
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 4:07 pm
(and besides, I had no idea that was a stomach!).
:) I Googled "Thumbs up" images, and looked for the weirdest/dumbest one. That one was from an ad for a medication used to treat "leaky gut".
Watching until the end.
laffite

Post by laffite »

If the Administrators decide not to add a like button, it would be very poor behavior on the part of the pro-likes to start using the oversized graphics they have demonstrated.

I hope you do not go.
Mona
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Of course I don't mean you. There are two others -- a woman and a man -- who have behaved in a manner that I would have thought to be beneath them, having observed them these many years (and besides, I had no idea that was a stomach!).
I assume you prefer not to give names, but at least to me it is not obvious about whom you are speaking. I also assume that the two people who behaved so badly were opposed to the like button?
Regardless, I hope you stay with SSO and continue to post. It seems that we all can discuss movies, people, TV, etc. with out all the divisiveness that occurs on this type question.
Happy Holidays!
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Speaking only for myself, I want everyone to stay and everyone to enjoy the place, button or not. Frankly, I am a little surprised that this much energy and angst has been spent on this item. My hope is that we comment with as much enthusiasm over whether Dramas or Westerns are the better genre, or Keaton or Chaplin is the better comedian. (As some have already done, look up some of the really old stuff and see what was going on.)

Personally, I don't care whether we have a button or not. (I voted no.) We have been fine since 2007 without one and no one expressed an interest until now. And I am not saying that is a bad thing but I shouldn't think it is anything for an argument.

Even with disagreements this has always been, and still is, a pretty civil place. No reason for it to be anything else.

So, Chaplin or Keaton?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

movieman1957 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:46 pm

So, Chaplin or Keaton?
Keaton
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

ElCid wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:19 pm
I assume you prefer not to give names, but at least to me it is not obvious about whom you are speaking. I also assume that the two people who behaved so badly were opposed to the like button?
Regardless, I hope you stay with SSO and continue to post. It seems that we all can discuss movies, people, TV, etc. with out all the divisiveness that occurs on this type question.
Happy Holidays!
My Dear ElCid,

I thought it unnecessary to name names, thinking it would obvious! Simply having an opinion different to mine would not constitute behaving badly. Calling me (and others) a troll, and other names, definitely constitutes behaving badly. You read her post, how can you not know who she is?

And the other person should be obvious to you as well. ;)

But it doesn't matter. As I've said, I joined both boards. I know several people here have had problems with the moderator of the other board. I've had disagreements with him over the years, but I guess I just didn’t engage with him that often, maybe due to the threads that I frequented. His is a good board, and it has potential. I’ve already had many enjoyable conversations there, and, yes, I’ve “liked” some posts, and enjoyed more substantive exchanges in others. Many of our old friends are there.

As Movieman1957 just posted about the "like" discussion, "I shouldn't think it is anything for an argument." I agree, though I take a different view. I think it's something so basic, to provide it, and those who don't want to use it don't have to.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

movieman1957 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:46 pm
So, Chaplin or Keaton?
Harold Lloyd
Watching until the end.