Classical Music

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: Classical Music

Post by laffite »

It says there are three pieces but there in only one. The Mozart concerto. The pianist gyrations are not for show, it's true commitment. This is a fun listen as well as a fun watch.

Mona
laffite

Post by laffite »

Mona
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Like piano, eh? ;)

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

And today we have a nice little march for you today. No singing, at least by soloist. There are some figures who resemble the Klan. I can assure you, they are not ... but they look up to no good. Sorry I cannot enlighten you on that. Maybe some opera buff out there in SSO land can. Otherwise just listen. It's kind of catchy.

Mona
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Kinda looks like an opera about THE FLYING NUN, don't it? :lol:

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

Sepiatone wrote: July 11th, 2023, 11:46 am Kinda looks like an opera about THE FLYING NUN, don't it? :lol:

Sepiatone
Well, Wagner did compose the opera The Flying Dutchman.
Mona
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Well, back in my pipe smoking days it was one of my favorite mixes. ;)

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

Mona
Belle

Post by Belle »

The spouse and myself lived in Vienna for the whole year of 2011. We visited many of the domiciles of LvB in that city, as well as Schubert, Haydn and Mozart. These apartments are everywhere in Vienna and in Baden where Beethoven composed the "Missa Solemnis" the house where he did this is marked. Just a 1 hour ride from the inner city of Vienna on the Badner Bahn.

Standing in front of the house where Schubert died in 1828 - Kettenbrückengasse - was the most moving experience for me. It was the house of Schubert's brother and a new build at that time. And, of course, Zentralfriedhof where all the great composers are buried in a little section of that huge and famous cemetery. One day, early on, we became lost in the inner city and stumbled upon a church and school. The inscription was hard to read but I soon realized where I was and cried out to the spouse, "Oh my god, it's the Stadtkonvikt (school) which Schubert attended!!"
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

I attended my first concert by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra in 1977. And this is what they played. (Can't find a DSO clip of it, but the orchestra was directed by Antal Dorati).

Note: Neeme Jarvi would take over the helm of the DSO in 1990 until 2005.
And this too was on the bill of that first concert, also with Sir Clifford Curzon at the piano
Mozart piano concerto #24

Sepiatone
Belle

Post by Belle »

Sepiatone wrote: July 28th, 2023, 10:52 am I attended my first concert by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra in 1977. And this is what they played. (Can't find a DSO clip of it, but the orchestra was directed by Antal Dorati).

Note: Neeme Jarvi would take over the helm of the DSO in 1990 until 2005.
And this too was on the bill of that first concert, also with Sir Clifford Curzon at the piano
Mozart piano concerto #24

Sepiatone
Another Jarvi: this time Paavo Jarvi. A great talent!!

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I've never heard this live, but I'm going to the BBC Proms in August to hear it. It will be my first time at the Proms and my first time in Royal Albert Hall.

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

txfilmfan wrote: July 28th, 2023, 8:39 pm I've never heard this live, but I'm going to the BBC Proms in August to hear it. It will be my first time at the Proms and my first time in Royal Albert Hall.

You're in for a treat, going to the Proms is a quintessential British experience. I think my favorite Prom season was 1995, which was the centenary season (I have the souvenir cap). I'm off to London next week and may go to a Prom if I have time.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Dear, dear Bernard Haitink. So much missed; such wonderful dedication to music-making.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

In case anyone missed it, Andre Watts died last week. He lost his battle with prostate cancer. He had quite an interesting story. Can't say I heard a lot from him and I never had any recordings but he sure came on the scene like gangbusters.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."