TCM Remembers 2022

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: TCM Remembers 2022

Post by Hibi »

I had heard of his passing, but not Bill Reynolds and a few others (Mr. Bookman from Seinfeld!!!)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hey, what happened to Sally Kellerman????? BIG omission!
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Hibi wrote: December 21st, 2022, 2:59 pm Hey, what happened to Sally Kellerman????? BIG omission!
She will be featured in "TCM Forgets 2022."
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

scsu1975 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 4:35 pm She will be featured in "TCM Forgets 2022."
So, let's remember Sal here!

According to the Internet Movie Database, Sally Kellerman was considered for the lead role in Saint Joan, directed by Otto Preminger. She lost the role to Jean Seberg and instead made her motion picture debut in Reform School Girl, distributed by American International Pictures.

"“My first film was also my worst. I played a school dyke and carried a tool case. When I came on screen, everybody in the theater laughed. I didn’t work for three years after that." -- Sally Kellerman

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

scsu1975 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 4:35 pm
Hibi wrote: December 21st, 2022, 2:59 pm Hey, what happened to Sally Kellerman????? BIG omission!
She will be featured in "TCM Forgets 2022."
I guess so! I'd expect this from the Oscars, but TCM really dropped the ball this year!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

EP Millstone wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:24 pm
scsu1975 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 4:35 pm She will be featured in "TCM Forgets 2022."

According to the Internet Movie Database, Sally Kellerman was considered for the lead role in Saint Joan, directed by Otto Preminger. She lost the role to Jean Seberg and instead made her motion picture debut in Reform School Girl, distributed by American International Pictures.

"“My first film was also my worst. I played a school dyke and carried a tool case. When I came on screen, everybody in the theater laughed. I didn’t work for three years after that." -- Sally Kellerman

LOL! Poor Sally! Not sure Joan would've launched her as it crashed Seberg's career for awhile.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

OMG!!!! I barely recognized her! Sally looks very "rough".

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I complained on the TCM website about it (Doubt it'll do any good, but at least hopefully it will be passed on to the people who do these things)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:52 pm
LOL! Poor Sally! Not sure Joan would've launched her as it crashed Seberg's career for awhile.

If Kellerman had gotten Saint Joan, she would likely have done Bonjour Tristisse as well, since Preminger reused Seberg in that. Never saw Saint Joan, but Bonjour Tristisse is quite good, although it wasn't treated well at the time. The more intriguing possibility is imagining Sally Kellerman in Breathless and the later Lilith....
drednm

Post by drednm »

Did I miss LESLIE JORDAN or was he omitted?

and no SALLY KELLERMAN !! Oscar nominee.... BIG MISS
CinemaInternational

drednm wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 11:39 am Did I miss LESLIE JORDAN or was he omitted?

Jordan wasn't included although he did have supporting roles in a handful of films (including one, The Help, that was a Best Picture nominee in 2011). Admittedly, other than The help, I first thought of him for his brief arc on Boston Legal in 2005, alongside Betty White, another mostly-TV personality not included, although she had a one-scene bit in 1962's Advise and Consent.

Sally Kellerman is the first Oscar nominee I can recall that ever missed one of these montages. I was legitimately shocked that she was not included.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

drednm wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 11:39 am Did I miss LESLIE JORDAN or was he omitted?

NO KIDDING! Oscar nominee and an iconic film role. SMH. :(

Don't think he was in there. No Michael Callan either or Andrew Prine. I know they can't cover everyone but........
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 11:48 am

Jordan wasn't included although he did have supporting roles in a handful of films (including one, The Help, that was a Best Picture nominee in 2011). Admittedly, other than The help, I first thought of him for his brief arc on Boston Legal in 2005, alongside Betty White, another mostly-TV personality not included, although she had a one-scene bit in 1962's Advise and Consent.

Sally Kellerman is the first Oscar nominee I can recall that ever missed one of these montages. I was legitimately shocked that she was not included.

DITTO!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 11:34 am
Hibi wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:52 pm

If Kellerman had gotten Saint Joan, she would likely have done Bonjour Tristisse as well, since Preminger reused Seberg in that. Never saw Saint Joan, but Bonjour Tristisse is quite good, although it wasn't treated well at the time. The more intriguing possibility is imagining Sally Kellerman in Breathless and the later Lilith....
LOL I can't picture that..........
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 12:03 pm

NO KIDDING! Oscar nominee and an iconic film role. SMH. :(

Don't think he was in there. No Michael Callan either or Andrew Prine. I know they can't cover everyone but........
MASH was her biggest, but she also had several other notable films:

The Boston Strangler
The April Fools
Brewster McCloud
Last of the Red Hot Lovers
Lost Horizon ('73)
Slither ('73)
Rafferty and the gold Dust Twins
Welcome to L.A.
The Big Bus
A Little Romance
Foxes
Serial
Back to School
That's Life
Pret-a-Porter
It's my Party
Boynton Beach Club

All of these films except Brewster (which was an Altman film for MGM) had at least one Oscar nominee in another major role. It makes no sense not to include someone with that many connections.