Boston Legal

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Boston Legal

Post by pktrekgirl »

Does anyone around here watch this show?

I never did until recently. But my sister has been bugging me non-stop for 2 years to watch it, and so finally, I relented and purchased season 1 of the DVDs back during the DeepDiscount DVD Supersale, figuring that if I hated it, I could give her the DVD set.

Well, long story short, this show is HILARIOUS.

Now, being a Star Trek fan I am pretty familiar with William Shatner, and his propensity to be a total ham. I have met him in person, and he is pretty much the same IRL as he is on TV....much to the dismay of most of the rest of the TOS cast.

However, in this show, his oftentimes ridiculous ham-iness works to his benefit...and so instead of coming off as annoying, he comes off perfectly cast.

James Spader is great as well - he has made a career out of being the arrogant jerk that everyone likes, and in this show THAT works to his behefit as well. He is hilarious, and despite the fact that he basically sexually harasses everything in a skirt, you find yourself really loving the guy.

Obviously, the two of them are the real stars of the show, but the rest of the cast is very strong - Candace Bergen's character is sometimes a bit annoying (like her better as Murphy Brown), but anyone charged with being the 'bad guy' a good chunk of the time is gonna come off as annoying by design....so she must be doing a good job!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this show?

I am now a few episodes into season 2 and am really getting a kick out of it.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

It is one of the only intelligent and witty scripts on television. It's a continuation of "The Practice", which was quite good too.

Many, many years ago when William Shatner first came to Hollywood and was a young and beautiful boy, he was passed around by several women, one of whom was my grandmother. She tried like the dickens to get him the role of 'Alexander the Great' but Richard Burton came along and steamrolled over everybody.
Bill languished in TV for years until "The Brothers Karamazov" late in the 50's.

Larry
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I never watched THE PRACTICE. Did it have some of the same actors in it or something?

Surely Shatner and James Spader weren't in that! Or maybe it's been a while since I paid attention to network TV.

Is it just about the same law firm? Does it use the same sets or something?

I simply cannot watch another show...but I am curious as to the continuity with THE PRACTICE.

Anyway, I am getting a real kick out of this show. I think I'm about 8 episodes in to season 2 now. It's like a good book - can't put it down.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

James Spader was in "The Practice" as the same 'dispicably likeable' character. It took place in LA but he moved to Boston.
Lara Flynn Boyle and Cameron Mannheim were also in it.
It was very good and had excellent scripts, something TV doesn't have much of lately.
"Boomtown" was another excellently scripted show, with of all people Donny Wahlberg, who is a very good little actor really..... Amasing!!

Larry
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Ah! So was it set in the LA office of Craine, Poole & Schmidt, perhaps?

Can't believe James Spader was in it! I REALLY haven't paid much attention to network TV for a few years, I guess.

That last thing I remember him being in was Stargate (the movie). :lol:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

pktrekgirl:

This James Spader is entirely different from the Daniel Jackson we know. Thank Heaven they found Michael Shanks when they started the series. Anyway, I loved The Practice but never could get into Boston Legal. I loved Shatner in Star Trek, but couldn't handle his character in 'Legal'. I watched the first half season, but finally tuned to something else. I don't know where Lara Boyle is but Camryn is on The Ghost Whisperer every Friday night. Boston Legal has the same quirky clients and cases, but in this case, the lawyers far out-do the clients.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Well, I actually like both Michael Shanks and James Spader in the role. I think James Spader was good for the movie...but I'm glad he turned down the show and opened the door for Michael Shanks, because he was fantastic...and I think most people associate the role of Daniel Jackson with him now. As I said, I like them both...but I know people in the scifi community on both sides of the fence - some like Michael Shanks better, and some like James Spader better.

However, when it comes to Stargate, the difference between these two is minimal compared to the difference between Kurt Russell and Richard Dean Anderson. And RDA is, IMO, far superior in the role of Colonel Jack O'Neill. Whereas the community is more divided on the issue of Daniel Jackson, I don't know ANYONE who prefers Kurt Russell to RDA.

Stargate SG-1 would never have lasted as long as it did had it not been for RDA.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've never been able to find you on any of he SG1 sites. The new one is way beyond my understanding. I can't even find myself on it.

You're 100% correct about RDA - He made the show and when Ben came in, even though he still made with the wisecracks, they weren't the same. His were wisecracks, whereas RDA seemed to seriously misunderstand what was going on. I loved him. I would sure like to see a movie like they say is in the works, but I certainly hope RDA is a part of it - onscreen!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I used to be a mod at a Stargate board...but that was a few years ago. The owners kept on moving the site around, and finally it went defunct when it got too annoying for people to find the board anymore, at it's address of the week.

But I don't really post at any other Stargate sites. We have a Stargate forum at TrekBBS, and so anything I am burning to say about the 'Gates, I say in there. Or on LiveJournal.

I actually like Ben Browder. I'm an old Farscape fan, and so I quite like both him and Claudia Black. However, RDA was a tough act to follow. And bringing Ben in EIGHT years into the show, when they were already running low on ideas for future shows, was not really a fair trial for Ben.

I know he got a couple of years pay out of the deal...but they really didn't have much to offer him, right from the start, in the way of compelling and original storyline.