In my own little world

Chit-chat, current events
Masha

Re: In my own little world

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:11 am
AS I see you are up an around these last few minutes, is my post in ATYPICAL MOVIES appropriate to the theme of the thread. If not, I can move it. I can delete it so far as it has not been quoted.
It does not seem to be the type of movie which might suit my taste but it is surely atypical.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:32 am
laffite wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:11 am
AS I see you are up an around these last few minutes, is my post in ATYPICAL MOVIES appropriate to the theme of the thread. If not, I can move it. I can delete it so far as it has not been quoted.
It does not seem to be the type of movie which might suit my taste but it is surely atypical.
Then I shall leave it, if I may. I don't think I ever even read your opening post (as I should have) to check on restrictions. I like to take that in consideration. Some take these things quite seriously and I am probably one of them though I do not initiate threads very often.

I meant to add in my 'review' ... "and to coin a phrase, not for everybody." I may go back and add it. True cinephiles (which I am not) can watch anything (according to my definition) regardless of 'taste' because they want to know many aspects of how it was done, even though they might not like the film at all. I am more a general movie watcher and taste IS a factor. I do like Art films and I think TL is one. It certainly grabbed me. A determining factor no doubt is Willem Dafoe. It was him that made me venture a look.

//
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 31st, 2022, 2:07 am I meant to add in my 'review' ... "and to coin a phrase, not for everybody." I may go back and add it. True cinephiles (which I am not) can watch anything (according to my definition) regardless of 'taste' because they want to know many aspects of how it was done, even though they might not like the film at all. I am more a general movie watcher and taste IS a factor. I do like Art films and I think TL is one. It certainly grabbed me. A determining factor no doubt is Willem Dafoe. It was him that made me venture a look.

//
Taste is an overriding factor for me. This was highlighted by my watching: The Vanishing (2018) which has some vague similarities with the movie you mention. There may have been some interesting academic points concerning plot construction and cinematography but I could never break free of the fact that I do not enjoy watching a group of grown men bickering like toddlers.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I hear that. What’s even worse though is listening to a group of grown women carrying on like little girls.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Yeah, but if you can dance, if you can dance behind the beat, if you can use that runway, and swing around the pole, then that’s good enough, that’s just fine.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: January 1st, 2023, 11:46 pm Yeah, but if you can dance, if you can dance behind the beat, if you can use that runway, and swing around the pole, then that’s good enough, that’s just fine.
Why Thompson, do I detect a bit of vulgarity in your moods recently? I don't remember this sort of thing back in the old Film Noir thread of old. I don't mean to cramp your style, just genuinely surprised.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: December 31st, 2022, 3:40 am . . . I do not enjoy watching a group of grown men bickering like toddlers.
Never seen toddlers bicker. However, I have seen grown men bicker like . . . women.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

...and not to forget men and women bickering together ...

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Mad. In my own little world and mad. Mean. Didn’t put no fancy cat treats in the bowls this morning. Just plain dry with no treats and no wet. Mean. Gave ‘em fresh water but it wasn’t a nice fresh water, it was mean fresh water. So Laffite, yes you are right, I’m sinking into vulgarity, and the worst part of it all is the trapped gas. I’ve tried everything including standing on my head (well not really that would be impossible) and going against traffic. Does absolutely no good to complain, you still got that trapped gas and your mood keeps getting worse.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Excellent. This sounds like the start of a novel. A noir, no doubt ... with all that gas.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Thompson wrote: January 4th, 2023, 4:17 am I’ve tried everything including standing on my head (well not really that would be impossible) and going against traffic. Does absolutely no good to complain, you still got that trapped gas and your mood keeps getting worse.
It is not within my purview to prescribe but simethicone taken with a large whiskey followed by a long hot bath often provides relief from symptoms and eases the severity of the condition.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: January 4th, 2023, 11:52 am
It is not within my purview to prescribe but simethicone taken with a large whiskey followed by a long hot bath often provides relief from symptoms and eases the severity of the condition.
You haven't given us an update on your condition for a while, Masha.

(...all better I assume by now?)
Masha

Post by Masha »

I suppose it is good news that I do not have a cold.

Certain factors led me to seek an independent examination. This confirmed my growing fear that it is atypical pneumonia. This is commonly called: walking pneumonia. The blood tests which can be done immediately do not show the cause. Cultures will take one to three days and are likely to be inconclusive also because it is the nature of the condition to be difficult to specify in the absence of a biopsy.

Every technician, nurse and doctor which I met are at least thirty years younger than I am. This is worrisome only because they all treat me as if I am some sort of delicate relic who might disintegrate into dust at any moment. I have no doubt that I could take any one of them in a fair fight. It is also that I am not known to fight fair. The main concern is that the age difference means that my humor is not understood naturally. It was obvious more than once that a person did not know if what I said was meant as a joke or an insult.

They were concerned about my opiate level. It is fortunate that there is now a database so that they could check quickly that my prescription for it is valid. I am sure it influenced the doctor's decision to not prescribe other pain relief or soporific but he did assent to cortisone shot to relieve some related inflammation.

The good news is that it is quite unlikely to become worse. I am on precautionary antibiotics. There is little hope that they will benefit directly but they will suppress opportunistic infections which could become critical.

The bad news is that I will remain an ineffectual lump for some time to come. This is accelerating my descent into madness.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Man, and here all I got is some trapped gas. I didn’t know it was possible to get a legit script for opiates any more. I got some reefer from the landlord on loan so we shall see. That was an excellent post Masha, and thanks for your advise. I’m afraid to take a bath these days though, Good Night Irene keeps playing in my head . . . that notion to jump in the river and drown.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Sorry to hear this. As you might have guessed, I was thinking all this had been behind you by now and that you were back to the job of fixing up your new home...well, new to you and your little fuzzy, anyway.

Loved the part about how you described all of your heathcare workers being quite a bit younger than you. Funny how this seems to come about eventually, isn't it. And, funny how you described this situation as well, I might add.

(...hope you're feeling better soon, and thanks for the update here)