In my own little world

Chit-chat, current events
Masha

Re: In my own little world

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: November 14th, 2023, 2:29 am
My little motorcycle accident of last month (feeling so much better now that I'll be heading back to the tennis courts tomorrow for the very first time since the crash) has resulted in this guy here (me, who like your L.F. has always resisted seeing doctors...yeah, it's a "man thing") having being told today during my follow-up visit that they discovered I have an enlarged heart. She told me I'll probably have to begin using a statin in order to help this condition. Have never before had to take any prescribed daily medications. Feels like it's now official. I'm an old fart now! ;)
I thank you for the update on your status. I have worried if you are taking care of yourself properly. I am concerned about your playing tennis so soon. Normal activity is expected after approx. six weeks but the reaches and twisting in tennis may be excessive. I am not allowed to provide medical advice but I would likely take 15mg Valium prior to playing to prevent over-enthusiastic actions. I would likely also have several shots of vodka but that is just me. Please just remember that you are needed here.

My little Fuzzy does not avoid doctors. That is because they are necessary for ordering scans and issuing prescriptions. It is their judgement which he takes with a grain of salt. It is usual for him to obey orders to 'take it easy' because it is justification for being lazy. I am sure that this time is different only because he feels neither pain nor discomfort until he stresses and it all goes pear-shaped and drops him.

I am sorry to have to tell you that I must disagree strongly with your statement: "I'm an old fart now!". I believe that I am one year younger than you. I am at the first stage of being a senior citizen and will not approach 'old fartdom' for a few decades. I feel also that you are forgetting that imps are immortal and you definitely have a bit of gremlin in you.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

dianedebuda wrote: November 14th, 2023, 10:47 am Masha, you & I are in similar situations. Had a major (28x50, 2-story) addition to the house framed out probably 20 years ago, but every time I started to work on it, life "stuff" got in the way. Restarted the wiring at the beginning of summer, so, of course, Mother Nature decided to turn up the burners with an excessive number of 100+/110+ days this year. Being an old coot, could only manage working 2 or 3 hours in the morning before being totally wiped out for the rest of the day. I too am working solo since hubby can't manage physical work any more. At least in my case, I can hire the pros to blow a rock wool type material for the ceiling insulation cheaper than I can buy materials, but there is a section that's too tight for them get at. I'm luckier than you here, 'cause there's no drywall so I was able to build air vent chutes to the eaves and then strap rock wool from the underside between the rafters. Wiring is 95% done upstairs and all of the outside outlets & lights are complete - just need to be connected to the breaker panel to be operational. Taking a break to prep for bird day, but will soon be back at it.
We had four companies out to estimate for blowing in insulation. One would not touch it at all because of the tight access. Two were quite reluctant to provide an estimate in writing. The one which would commit planned to erect scaffolding so they could remove the soffits and reach in to install baffles and stops prior to blowing in insulation. I feel that this is truly the only proper way to handle it. It is sad to say that their quote was equivalent to a healthy down payment on a new Rolls Royce.

I have healthy respect for people who do most of their own work. There will at all times be things which require specialized skills and/or tools but the vast majority of construction can be done by any person of normal intelligence and physical ability.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: November 14th, 2023, 11:34 am

I thank you for the update on your status. I have worried if you are taking care of yourself properly. I am concerned about your playing tennis so soon. Normal activity is expected after approx. six weeks but the reaches and twisting in tennis may be excessive. I am not allowed to provide medical advice but I would likely take 15mg Valium prior to playing to prevent over-enthusiastic actions. I would likely also have several shots of vodka but that is just me. Please just remember that you are needed here.
And now here's what's kind'a funny about my playing tennis this morning, Masha.

I too thought it might be a bit too soon for me to resume playing the sport, and especially after first hitting the ball as I was warning up. My right hand, which they said I had a small fracture in, hurt every time I hit the ball with my racquet. I almost bowed out, but then "remembering that I was needed" THERE ;) or else there wouldn't have been enough players to fill the two courts of doubles and feeling I'd then spoil the day for three other fellow players, I decided to continue on.

And, the "funny" thing about this is that about halfway through the first set, my hand stopped hurting somehow! And not only that, but I also noticed the pain in my bruised ribs which had subsided by 85 percent since my little crash, was now almost completely gone as well. And so maybe this exersize today actually helped and wasn't a case of overdoing it too soon.

I did immediately ice my hand afterward and while eating my lunch at my usual post-match haunt, though. Figured that would be a smart thing to do, anyway.

(...thanks for your kind thoughts and concerns...and I'll be sure to always remember that I'm "needed here" as well) ;)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: November 14th, 2023, 6:07 pm And now here's what's kind'a funny about my playing tennis this morning, Masha.

I too thought it might be a bit too soon for me to resume playing the sport, and especially after first hitting the ball as I was warning up. My right hand, which they said I had a small fracture in, hurt every time I hit the ball with my racquet. I almost bowed out, but then "remembering that I was needed" THERE ;) or else there wouldn't have been enough players to fill the two courts of doubles and feeling I'd then spoil the day for three other fellow players, I decided to continue on.

And, the "funny" thing about this is that about halfway through the first set, my hand stopped hurting somehow! And not only that, but I also noticed the pain in my bruised ribs which had subsided by 85 percent since my little crash, was now almost completely gone as well. And so maybe this exersize today actually helped and wasn't a case of overdoing it too soon.

I did immediately ice my hand afterward and while eating my lunch at my usual post-match haunt, though. Figured that would be a smart thing to do, anyway.

(...thanks for your kind thoughts and concerns...and I'll be sure to always remember that I'm "needed here" as well) ;)
I truly do hope this is a great step in the proper direction but I will hold off applause until you have survived the night. There are several natural steroids which can moderate pain and mask symptoms. They generally ebb at night. That is when you will learn what your immune system thinks of the insults you have done to your injuries.

It will be wonderful if you awake rested and refreshed and ready for a new game in the morning but it is just possible you will find fractures on fire and gravel in all of your joints.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Good point. I guess we'll see tomorrow morning if I made a mistake by doing this or not. Gotta say right now the hand still feels pretty darn good this late afternoon.

(...I'll let you know in the AM)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Masha wrote: November 14th, 2023, 6:34 pm
Dargo wrote: November 14th, 2023, 6:07 pm And now here's what's kind'a funny about my playing tennis this morning, Masha.

There are several natural steroids which can moderate pain and mask symptoms. They generally ebb at night. That is when you will learn what your immune system thinks of the insults you have done to your injuries.
So true. I was in a head-on crash back in 1990 around 7:30 a.m., and due to shock, I didn't feel a thing until I got to the hospital ER about half an hour later. They released me around 1 p.m. By late that afternoon, I could barely move! The body can compensate for a while, but eventually it will raise the white flag.
Masha

Post by Masha »

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Masha wrote: November 14th, 2023, 11:34 am I am sorry to have to tell you that I must disagree strongly with your statement: "I'm an old fart now!". I believe that I am one year younger than you. I am at the first stage of being a senior citizen and will not approach 'old fartdom' for a few decades.
Really? When reading your posts, my imagination sees/hears the Russian gal who owns Luma the Pantera:
dianedebuda wrote: November 14th, 2023, 10:47 am Restarted the wiring at the beginning of summer, so, of course, Mother Nature decided to turn up the burners with an excessive number of 100+/110+ days this year. Being an old coot, could only manage working 2 or 3 hours in the morning before being totally wiped out for the rest of the day. (snipped) Wiring is 95% done upstairs and all of the outside outlets & lights are complete - just need to be connected to the breaker panel to be operational.
You are thoroughly AMAZING! I'm really impressed you did this yourself!
I had to patch my foundation this summer and like you only worked until noon or so when it got too hot/humid. But I was working outside, on the north side-much cooler than an ATTIC!
Easier: work on basement in summer, work in attic in winter.
Masha wrote: November 14th, 2023, 11:34 am I have healthy respect for people who do most of their own work. There will at all times be things which require specialized skills and/or tools but the vast majority of construction can be done by any person of normal intelligence and physical ability.
Agree 100%. People are always amazed at the tasks I tackle.
Why? It can't be all that hard if a MAN can do it.

My experience has not been positive with blown in insulation. Eventually it settles and residue creeps into your living space. When I insulate my attic, I'm using the roll of paper covered sheet insulation between the studs/joists and then cover it in drywall. It's more expensive, but cleaner/more durable.

The styrofoam "sheets" are even better but cost prohibitive. I buy that for crafting and building a full size tombstone cost over $70 in styrofoam sheets.
Buy the tools. You'll always have them on hand for the next "emergency".
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

TikiSoo wrote: November 15th, 2023, 6:19 amMy experience has not been positive with blown in insulation. Eventually it settles and residue creeps into your living space. When I insulate my attic, I'm using the roll of paper covered sheet insulation between the studs/joists and then cover it in drywall. It's more expensive, but cleaner/more durable.
My understanding is that what you're saying is true for blown cellulose, but blown rock wool, which is what I'll be using, doesn't have much of a settling problem. 🤞 Down the road, I'm going to have to replace all of the attic insullation in the rest of the house 'cause the 'coons got in and made a mess of it. Expect that I'll have to do the removal part so I can put in proper air vent chutes (or baffles like Masha calls them). The ones I did for the 2 story addition I made from 1x2s & styrofoam sheets. At least I have a 5:12 roof with almost 6 ft under the ridge and it's 1 story there, so not too bad to position my scaffold for access from under the eaves.

Funny background why the addition is 2-story. First just wanted a little more attic height; then, gee, why not make it liveable as a 2nd story? Then hubby says it's almost high enough for him to shoot baskets, so I get on a ladder and measure the height of the ball arc so we can get scissor trusses for additional height. 😄 My house: a hobby that got WAY out of hand. 🤣
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

dianedebuda wrote: November 15th, 2023, 9:12 am My house: a hobby that got WAY out of hand.
:smiley_cheer: :smiley_worship:

My Attic has become my latest "project" room as I've been selling the storage of Art/Antiques, gaining open space. I quickly found I could spray paint with zero air contamination in the house, so set up a spray booth.

It's also a great place to smoke, so I've set up a "party" around my surveillance cameras:

Retired vintage pieces are displayed clothed while the naked pieces are working Ebay Models-

Take a look at those ELECTRICAL lines!
Yes, that is my old fencing face guard and yes, I do decorate with old film memorabilia like reels/cans/drive in speakers.
But NO, that dried stuff in the ashtray is garden MINT in attempt to repel insects.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: November 15th, 2023, 9:46 am
dianedebuda wrote: November 15th, 2023, 9:12 am My house: a hobby that got WAY out of hand.
:smiley_cheer: :smiley_worship:

My Attic has become my latest "project" room as I've been selling the storage of Art/Antiques, gaining open space. I quickly found I could spray paint with zero air contamination in the house, so set up a spray booth.

It's also a great place to smoke, so I've set up a "party" around my surveillance cameras:

Retired vintage pieces are displayed clothed while the naked pieces are working Ebay Models-

Take a look at those ELECTRICAL lines!
Yes, that is my old fencing face guard and yes, I do decorate with old film memorabilia like reels/cans/drive in speakers.
But NO, that dried stuff in the ashtray is garden MINT in attempt to repel insects.
So Tiki. How much did Geico pay you for allowing them to film this commercial up in your attic? ;) ...

(...and yep, you sure don't see the old knob-and-tube electrical wiring around much anymore, alright)
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Tiki: That looks more like an unfinished 2nd floor rather than an attic - particularly when it has windows and a wood floor. Great hiding place. :D

Dargo: How you feeling this morning after the tennis episode? Really was suprised that you were able to do it so soon after the mishap.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: November 14th, 2023, 6:34 pm
I truly do hope this is a great step in the proper direction but I will hold off applause until you have survived the night. There are several natural steroids which can moderate pain and mask symptoms. They generally ebb at night. That is when you will learn what your immune system thinks of the insults you have done to your injuries.

It will be wonderful if you awake rested and refreshed and ready for a new game in the morning but it is just possible you will find fractures on fire and gravel in all of your joints.
dianedebuda wrote: November 15th, 2023, 11:06 am
Dargo: How you feeling this morning after the tennis episode? Really was suprised that you were able to do it so soon after the mishap.

The hand feels very good this morning. And, maybe even a little better than it did before I picked up my racquet and started hitting with it yesterday.

And so while it probably would have been advisable to refrain from tennis for another week or so, it seems like I might not have made this worse by doing so.

And with the added side benefit of this being that now that I am back on the courts again, my mental health has benefited from it as well.

(...and 'cause I found I was goin' absolutely freakin' BONKERS this past month not being able to play and raise my endorphin levels, and which helps keep this old fart, ahem, I mean this impish guy here on an even keel)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: November 15th, 2023, 10:43 am So Tiki. How much did Geico pay you for allowing them to film this commercial up in your attic? ;) ...
"The Zen Room" has been set up decades before that stupid commercial. Everyone who knows me called me when they saw it, though.

So glad you're getting back from your accident so well! Eventually it'll just be a blip & you'll forget all about it. The great thing about being older & memory loss-the good kind of forgetfulness!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: November 15th, 2023, 11:21 am
Dargo wrote: November 15th, 2023, 10:43 am So Tiki. How much did Geico pay you for allowing them to film this commercial up in your attic? ;) ...
"The Zen Room" has been set up decades before that stupid commercial. Everyone who knows me called me when they saw it, though.

So glad you're getting back from your accident so well! Eventually it'll just be a blip & you'll forget all about it. The great thing about being older & memory loss-the good kind of forgetfulness!
Thanks, Tiki. Yep, the selective memory phenomenon can be a very good thing sometimes, can't it. ;)