In my own little world

Chit-chat, current events
Masha

Re: In my own little world

Post by Masha »

Writers have terms: "wip" and "wsip". "wip" stands for: "Work in Progress." "wsip" stands for: "Work Supposedly in Progress."

It often feels as if the remodeling/renovation is the latter.

The major focus of the minute is the laundry area. The top image is the realtor's picture for the listing. The bottom is current status:

Please disregard the mess. This remains technically a construction area. It is not uncommon for the air to be thick with sawdust or sheetrock dust while I am washing a load of clothes.

The washer was originally to the right of the dryer and it needed to be turned at a right angle so that the drainage hose would reach the standpipe. The cabinet on the left was built of reclaimed pallet wood by the previous owner and painted with deck waterproofing. The wall on the left was painted paneling. The stairs on the right were so steep that they violated both OSHA regulations and building code. The brown wall on the right was cheap paneling on 2x3 studs. It is now gone.

We added the door on the left so that one could come down the stairs and go directly into the garage rather than having to go through an extra room. The wall that is green is all new three-quarter-inch mold and fire resistant sheet rock. It replaces the mold-infested and crumbling three-eighths sheetrock hidden by the paneling.

The stairs are a little vexatious. We each drew up a cutting plan and they agreed in all respects. It was only when we had passed a point of no return did we discover that we had both made the same mistake in calculations and so it is twelve and a quarter inches longer than it should be. It needs to be rebuilt from scratch.

Still to do in this area: wiring lights and new switches to bring the stairway up to code, moving the water heater farther to the right, installing three electrical outlets in the room to bring it up to code, extending the panel which is behind the washer and dryer to hide the wiring, installing a switch beneath the electrical panel to control an outside outlet, installing bifold doors to hide the water heater, drawers on wheels under the washer/dryer platform. We are undecided at this time what to do about the ceiling. We have no idea what to do with the floor as we both detest painted concrete but marine-grade carpeting is quite expensive and there is little selection.
Last edited by Masha on August 4th, 2023, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Nice write-up on your most recent work done here. And thanks for also supplying the pics, as it helped me envision all this as well.

And re the flooring: Have you guys considered going with vinyl "wood" planking instead? Some of it is very water-resistant, and with all the various options in both color and patterns available today, it can look much higher end than one might expect.

(...and it's also very reasonably priced)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: August 4th, 2023, 5:23 pm Nice write-up on your most recent work done here. And thanks for also supplying the pics, as it helped me envision all this as well.

And re the flooring: Have you guys considered going with vinyl "wood" planking instead? Some of it is very water-resistant, and with all the various options in both color and patterns available today, it can look much higher end than one might expect.

(...and it's also very reasonably priced)
I thank you for your kind words.

I am afraid that any sort of plank flooring is problematic. The floor drain and sewer stack is to the right of the new water heater. An overflow from the washer would not be a problem because under the platform and water heater will remain bare concrete. A sewer back-up would be disastrous for the rest of the room. Carpeting could be pulled up relatively easily to remove contaminants and allow the floor to dry. Any sort of plank installation would have to be removed under adverse conditions.

Our best option at the moment seems to be a Rustoleum floor epoxy. It comes in colors which we like and color chips can be added for interest. The main problem with it is that my little Fuzzy is sensitive to chemicals which it contains. That would not be an issue once it is cured but it means him not being able to be here during installation or for up to a week after while it outgasses. I am loathe to tackle such a project on my own because I am not good with paints/coatings. This is not the type of thing which you can simply add a new coat on top or remove what was applied to give a second chance at getting it right.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Yep, I understand. I've considered having that sort of thing done to my garage floor, but have decided if I ever do, I'm not going to attempt to do it myself, either. I'd have a pro come in and do it.

However again though, considering the expense of that, I've decided I can live with the bare concrete that my "toys" are parked on.

(...and even though, yes, it sure does make the overall look of a garage "pop", alright)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Great News!

I have received notification that I am excused from jury duty! The listed reason is that I am in a protected profession. I find that quite odd because I have not worked to any great degree in more than nineteen months. It is also that I do not feel that I have had a 'profession' since the 1980s. Only jobs.

Perhaps it is because I am this site's Lord High Meme-stress? Are the admins of this site part of a secret cabal with far-reaching powers and they pulled strings on my behalf?

I am afraid to inquire of it as that may lead some person in the court to realize that a mistake was made and place me back on the rolls.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I'm just reading about what you've been going thru. So glad it worked out for you Masha, that's great :)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

KayFrancis wrote: August 5th, 2023, 12:43 pm I'm just reading about what you've been going thru. So glad it worked out for you Masha, that's great :)
Hey! Me too!
Now it will not be necessary to attempt to plead diminished capacity.
That would be my personal defense.
Remember, I'm a fan of the original Matlock.
There's an episode where someone was retarted, which the writers got away with back then.
The cast member was Don Swayze, Patrick Swayze's brother.
Masha

Post by Masha »

jimimac71 wrote: August 5th, 2023, 1:01 pm
Now it will not be necessary to attempt to plead diminished capacity.
That would be my personal defense.
Remember, I'm a fan of the original Matlock.
There's an episode where someone was retarted, which the writers got away with back then.
The cast member was Don Swayze, Patrick Swayze's brother.
Being excused on the day would not help. I am scheduled to leave on a Sunday morning and the call to appear was for a Monday. I would have had to cancel my plans prior to knowing if I was selected to enter the jury pool for a specific trial.

I am sure that my little Fuzzy could get excused when questioned by the attorney. He has a little routine where he adopts a vaguely Russian accent and mixes surzhyk phrases with his English. It is quite precious to see the reaction of someone who does not know him when he pauses and mutters under his breath: "What is the word in English ... oh, I know ... 'door'." I am perhaps better equipped to do that but I fear that I could not keep a straight face.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: August 5th, 2023, 5:06 pm
Being excused on the day would not help. I am scheduled to leave on a Sunday morning and the call to appear was for a Monday. I would have had to cancel my plans prior to knowing if I was selected to enter the jury pool for a specific trial.
Glad to hear your trip to...ummm to...(care to divulge the destination or has some governmental concern, either foreign or domestic, sworn you to secrecy in these regards? ;) )...is now back on. Hope ya have a wonderful trip.
Masha wrote: August 5th, 2023, 5:06 pm
I am sure that my little Fuzzy could get excused when questioned by the attorney. He has a little routine where he adopts a vaguely Russian accent and mixes surzhyk phrases with his English. It is quite precious to see the reaction of someone who does not know him when he pauses and mutters under his breath: "What is the word in English ... oh, I know ... 'door'." I am perhaps better equipped to do that but I fear that I could not keep a straight face.
LOL

I LOVE it! Gotta say your little fuzzy's little trick to be excused as a juror in a trial is even better and much more inventive than what I've always used for this purpose.

(...but I won't get into the details of my method for doing this at the moment)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: August 5th, 2023, 6:19 pm
Glad to hear your trip to...ummm to...(care to divulge the destination or has some governmental concern, either foreign or domestic, sworn you to secrecy in these regards? ;) )...is now back on. Hope ya have a wonderful trip.
It is not a secret. It is simply frivolous. I am going to Switzerland to help two cousins who are relocating there for the duration.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: August 5th, 2023, 7:48 pm
Dargo wrote: August 5th, 2023, 6:19 pm
It is not a secret. It is simply frivolous. I am going to Switzerland to help two cousins who are relocating there for the duration.
That's terrific! I've felt so sorry for those folks in your old stompin' grounds ever since that balding freakin' little Ruskie.....

Well anyway, good on ya.

(...hope everything works out for them)
Masha

Post by Masha »

I must wonder what can possibly go so wrong that it needs product support.

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

NYS allows 6 personal use plants...I have 2 male decoys to see how secure my back yard is.
I'm 5'2" btw.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I do not wish any to come to be concerned for my little absence: I will be leaving very early tomorrow. My return flight is scheduled for Wednesday. There is an option to extend the return up to ten days at no additional cost. I do not have the money to stay longer than is now scheduled and I am of an age when sleeping rough does not appeal to me but we shall see.

I have set my little Fuzzy to watch this forum for matters which might interest me. He is an inefficient and easily distracted watchdog but needs must.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Just noticed your latest addition to your meme thread. Figured you've returned home from your trip to Switzerland, and so welcome back! :smiley_cheers:

(...hope everything worked out well for those you went there to assist in their move) :smiley_attention: