In my own little world

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: In my own little world

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: July 10th, 2023, 4:56 pm Bees on my catnip!

There are both honey and bumbly bees on my little stand of catnip. There is also a wasp or two but I can ignore them.

It is very sad to say that I find it nearly impossible to capture them in a picture. I quickly counted more than a dozen within the frame when I took this but those I circled are the only ones which appear. There is a bit of a fuzzy smudge which is likely one but it is not definite.

I would love dearly having a picture of the dozen per square foot but no setting on my camera or on a friend's phone captures them.
Bumbly bees are notoriously elusive. I don't think they like to be photographed. Honey making can be very absorbing.
Mona
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

laffite wrote: July 10th, 2023, 5:01 pm

There are both honey and bumbly bees on my little stand of catnip. There is also a wasp or two but I can ignore them.

It is very sad to say that I find it nearly impossible to capture them in a picture. I quickly counted more than a dozen within the frame when I took this but those I circled are the only ones which appear. There is a bit of a fuzzy smudge which is likely one but it is not definite.

I would love dearly having a picture of the dozen per square foot but no setting on my camera or on a friend's phone captures them.
Bumbly bees are notoriously elusive. I don't think they like to be photographed. Honey making can be very absorbing.
I’ve been humming “bees on my catnip” to the tune of “lipstick on my collar.”
Think of it as an ear-meme.
Oh wait! Wrong thread!
laffite

Post by laffite »

jimimac71 wrote: July 10th, 2023, 7:05 pm
laffite wrote: July 10th, 2023, 5:01 pm

I’ve been humming “bees on my catnip” to the tune of “lipstick on my collar.”
Think of it as an ear-meme.
Oh wait! Wrong thread!
Memes wouldn't exist without our little worlds. I'm sure the Mistress of Meme will let it slide. :smiley_worship:
Mona
Masha

Post by Masha »

I have a toad!

Yesterday was a gardening day. I edged around the knot bed and pulled all weeds in it and then watered it.

The soil was very dry. The English Asters were wilty. The forecast was: twenty percent chance of rain with accumulations up to: 0.05" and no possibly of rain for the remainder of the week. Using a sprinkler on a hot day is not good because so much is lost to evaporation and the plants do not appreciate such cold water on their leaves. Sprinkler carries the hazard also that watering half of the back yard twice in a month meant the usual twenty-three dollar water bill shot up to fifty-six dollars! I put a bubbler on the end of the hose and placed it in a corner of the bed. I moved it a few feet every five minutes or so. I repeated this for over an hour. I made no exact calculations but it was easily equivalent to two inches.

It began raining at midnight. Gage shows: 0.8". Forecast now says twenty-percent chance of rain again tomorrow.

I used the time between shifting the hose to do a little rearrangement of the paving project. We have stacks of bags of: paver base, leveling sand, pea gravel and gravel along the back of the house as well as stacks of two different kinds of pavers. The latest calculations indicated that we need more of one kind than we had and so purchased one-hundred-and-fifty-nine more. The existing stack of them was so narrow that the new ones could not safely be placed on top and so I shifted the stack of bags of sand to a new place so that I could stack the new pavers next to the old.

Removing the last bag of sand revealed a toad! She is nearly three inches long and is very dark. Behind the stack of bags must have been an ideal home because there are many tiny crickets along there. I quickly got some gloves so that I could move her to the flower bed but I could not then find her. It is likely she went behind the stack of bags next to the opening I had made. I saw her baby before I was finished stacking the pavers. It is a little more than an inch long.

It makes me very happy to have a toad or two because the back yard seemed very sterile when we cleaned and cleared all the effects of several years of neglect.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Masha wrote: July 24th, 2023, 4:56 pm I have a toad!
We must lead parallel lives...I cleared all the bagged gravel & soil off my patio and spotted this guy:

I had no idea toads lived in my yard, although I do have a completely shaded Fern garden adjacent to the patio. Hopefully between the toad, the bats & the birds the mosquito population is kept in check.
I used to dislike the English Sparrows because they decimate the seed feeders in winter, but have since realized they are just as voracious eating insects in summer-thanks!

Mine is the only house on the block with a lush, green jungle of a backyard. I'm also the only person who has not needed to turn on my air conditioner yet this year.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I have received a summons for jury service. It conflicts with travel plans which I have been making for over three months and for which I have made non-refundable deposits of more than a thousand dollars. Our attorney stated that he can do nothing.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha, I'd suggest calling your courthouse directly to see if they can move your date to appear back to after you return from your trip.

(...I believe this sort of option is available in most jurisdictions throughout the country)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Our attorney stated that the judge is no longer allowing postponements due to: 'vacation' plans. He considers it an ideal time for a person to serve because their normal life and work was scheduled to be interrupted.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Wow! Well, THAT sure sucks, but I'd still try callin' the courthouse anyway. Ya never know.

(...and besides, I know how persuasive you can be) ;)
Masha

Post by Masha »

I thank you for your kind words.

I am persuasive in person because of my height and slim build and casual contempt for polite behaviour but I hate going into the courthouse because I must leave my pistol and blades outside.

The attorney stated that the clerks are quite thoroughly fed-up with people asking for exemptions because the judge has issued his orders and does not tolerate insubordination.

He did say that I might be able to recoup some of my deposits because demands of a court overrides ordinary terms and conditions.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: August 1st, 2023, 2:04 am
...I am persuasive in person because of my height and slim build and casual contempt for polite behaviour but I hate going into the courthouse because I must leave my pistol and blades outside.
Keep talkin' like this Masha, and you're gonna once again give me the mental picture of yourself being...

(...and here I had thought we had dismissed THIS idea YEARS ago!) ;)

LOL
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 9:33 pm Keep talkin' like this Masha, and you're gonna once again give me the mental picture of yourself being...

LOL
I am very sorry to say that I do not recall us discussing it and I surely would not have supported dismissing the idea! :lol:
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: August 4th, 2023, 12:25 am
Dargo wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 9:33 pm Keep talkin' like this Masha, and you're gonna once again give me the mental picture of yourself being...

LOL
I am very sorry to say that I do not recall us discussing it and I surely would not have supported dismissing the idea! :lol:
LOL

I first made mention of this during some discussion on the old TCM boards about ten years ago or so. In fact, I distinctly remember posting a pic of Natasha Fatale during it and suggesting this very thought at the time. I suppose there is the chance that you never saw it.

However and if I recall correctly, during this discussion you stated that you didn't have a very high opinion of Rene Russo generally, the actress who played Natasha in the live-action Rocky and Bullwinkle movie (2000).

(...perhaps this'll jog your memory, but if not or if my memory of this is flawed, it's still nice to now know that there was/is at least some validity to this mental picture)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: August 4th, 2023, 1:29 am
I first made mention of this during some discussion on the old TCM boards about ten years ago or so. In fact, I distinctly remember posting a pic of Natasha Fatale during it and suggesting this very thought at the time. I suppose there is the chance that you never saw it.

However and if I recall correctly, during this discussion you stated that you didn't have a very high opinion of Rene Russo generally, the actress who played Natasha in the live-action Rocky and Bullwinkle movie (2000).

(...perhaps this'll jog your memory, but if not or if my memory of this is flawed, it's still nice to now know that there was/is at least some validity to this mental picture)
I vaguely recall a discussion somewhat along those lines but it concerned accents. Natasha Fatale speaks with a stereotypical thick mock-Russian accent. I have a British accent because we were taught to imitate our instructors and our teaching material relied heavily on movies and television programmes from England. I do recall your saying that you were disappointed because you had imagined that I speak much like her. I had the impression that you do not find English accents as exotic or interesting as Russian.

Physically: I am near to five-foot-ten-inches. My hair is not black as hers is and my bosom is much more modest. To envision her as a caricature of me is only slightly implausible.

I have watched few episodes of: Rocky and Bullwinkle. What I remember of them is that I do strongly relate to her attitude and her long-suffering with having to deal with the incompetence of her male 'superiors'. I have never watched the movie. Rene Russo might well be the reason I have not sought it out.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: August 4th, 2023, 8:56 am
I vaguely recall a discussion somewhat along those lines but it concerned accents. Natasha Fatale speaks with a stereotypical thick mock-Russian accent. I have a British accent because we were taught to imitate our instructors and our teaching material relied heavily on movies and television programmes from England. I do recall your saying that you were disappointed because you had imagined that I speak much like her. I had the impression that you do not find English accents as exotic or interesting as Russian.

Physically: I am near to five-foot-ten-inches. My hair is not black as hers is and my bosom is much more modest. To envision her as a caricature of me is only slightly implausible.

I have watched few episodes of: Rocky and Bullwinkle. What I remember of them is that I do strongly relate to her attitude and her long-suffering with having to deal with the incompetence of her male 'superiors'. I have never watched the movie. Rene Russo might well be the reason I have not sought it out.
Oh yeah, I think I remember the "accent" part of that conversation, now that you mention it. And, am sure I then also kidded you about your use of the British "superfluous-u" as well, didn't I. ;)

(...hey, so anyway, how's the house reno comin' along?)