Our New Moderator

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
KayFrancis

Re: Our New Moderator

Post by KayFrancis »

Thanks Lawrence, I'll pass. It must be a dream come true for him. Hibi asked who's Carolyn ?
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Thanks Swithin for the info
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

KayFrancis wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:11 pm Thanks Lawrence, I'll pass. It must be a dream come true for him. Hibi asked who's Carolyn ?
I don't know who Carolyn is. I don't know if she posted on the TCM boards, and if so, under what name. It may have been discussed over there, but I missed it. I don't follow the conversations over there closely.

But she appears to be a friend of Topbilled, and she makes video clips of her choosing the winners of the monthly (?) contests to win $10 giftcards. You have to post a certain number of times within a given time period to qualify, and I've never reached that threshold.
Watching until the end.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: January 13th, 2023, 11:46 am
KayFrancis wrote: January 13th, 2023, 10:43 am
and I'm asking What other board?
It has the name "Classicfilmtvradio". Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but it gets the point across, I guess.

It's the site TopBilled started and administrates as an alternate to the TCM boards. It has a fairly active community, more so than this one, but not by much. Several people have accounts at each place, including Cuthbert/Swithin, Jamesjazzguitar, LostHorizons/Sukhov, LiamCasey, marysara, and others, I'm sure. I have an account there, too, but rarely post.

Some of the names from the old boards who frequent there include: starliteyes, shutoo, lonesomepolecat, BingFan, sepiatone, Lucky Dan, Nipkowdisc, sagebrush, Roy Cronin, ericj, among others.

One thing that differentiates this site and that one is that over there, you don't have to have an account to post. You're listed as "guest", although you can also provide a name for each post. I could see that being abused, though, as it allows for unlimited one-off "sock puppet" accounts.

Here's the link:
https://classicfilmtvradio.freeforums.net/
I don’t have an account there. I loathe Topbilled and find him obnoxious. Is someone using my old moniker?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Cuthbert wrote: January 13th, 2023, 10:49 am
Hibi wrote: January 13th, 2023, 10:02 am
Who is Carolyn?
Every month, the moderator of "the other place" holds a lottery. Eligibility is based on the number of posts; the threshold is not that high. The moderator's friend -- Carolyn -- conducts a video drawing. She dresses up in various costumes to do so. She's very engaging, and it's fun. Three names are chosen, with alternates. I've won twice but chose not to accept, so the $10 Amazon gift card goes to a runner up. You have to provide an email address to receive the card, though that's probably not a problem, since everyone (presumably) has anonymous emails.

I've decided to refer to the other board as "the other place," just like they do in each of the two houses of the British Parliament. They never say "House of Commons," or "House of Lords" when referring to the other house. Just "the other place;" or "another place."

LOL!!!!
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

[quote=LostHorizons post

I don’t have an account there. I loathe Topbilled and find him obnoxious. Is someone using my old moniker?
[/quote]
‐-------------------------------
I'm surprised there are that many over there. Many on this site feel just the way you do about tb.
What is your old moniker ?
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:52 pm
I guess I assumed you did, given the amount you've talked about it, including details of what was going on over there. Sorry for any misrepresentation.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's also someone over there using the same avatar that you're using here, which probably added to my confusion.
Last edited by LawrenceA on January 13th, 2023, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

KayFrancis wrote: January 13th, 2023, 1:06 pm [quote=LostHorizons post

‐-------------------------------
I'm surprised there are that many over there. Many on this site feel just the way you do about tb.

[/quote]

We should keep in mind the wise words of our venerable moderator on this board. Earlier in this thread, Lomm wrote: "On a related note: this is a new board, with new relationships possible. How about leaving all this TCM board drama in the past and moving on here?"

Presumably that good advice should apply to the other place as well, whatever our thoughts about former TCM posters.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Feel anyway you want, you may not have experienced what some of us have over the years . Many here disagree with you about joining the other board but certainly, go ahead, hope it works out for you.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Although I have had disagreements with the moderator of the other place over the years, I guess they evidently weren't on the level of experience that some of the rest of you had. But I think Lomm gave us good advice.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Agreed, Lomm gave good advice about this board. Can we drop this now, you don't have to justify joining any board, it just won't work for many of the rest of us, so, if I don't care if you've joined over there, please respect my decision not to join over there. Thanks
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: January 13th, 2023, 2:36 pm Although I have had disagreements with the moderator of the other place over the years, I guess they evidently weren't on the level of experience that some of the rest of you had. But I think Lomm gave us good advice.
I never actually had a bad "tete a tete" with him. Over all those years, he is just simply someone who struck me as too obnoxious and annoying to run a board successfully. I am actually surprised his forum has gone so successfully so far since I thought for sure he would have been handing out bans left and right by now. I will give him credit.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Who is Carolyn?
Every month, the moderator of "the other place" holds a lottery. Eligibility is based on the number of posts; the threshold is not that high. The moderator's friend -- Carolyn -- conducts a video drawing. She dresses up in various costumes to do so.
Have "Carolyn" and the moderator of "the other place" ever appeared in a video together?

If not, then I wonder if . . . hmmm . . .?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 14th, 2023, 4:15 pm
Who is Carolyn?
Every month, the moderator of "the other place" holds a lottery. Eligibility is based on the number of posts; the threshold is not that high. The moderator's friend -- Carolyn -- conducts a video drawing. She dresses up in various costumes to do so.
Have "Carolyn" and the moderator of "the other place" ever appeared in a video together?

If not, then I wonder if . . . hmmm . . .?
I thought of that. Carolyn is definitely a woman who appears on camera. As I recall, she's in Las Vegas. I think the moderator of the other place is a bloke and in Arizona. Although I didn't know the moderator's real name (I was not as palsy-walsy with him as some here seem to have been), there are people on this board who seem to know it, and it's not Carolyn (it's a man's name, initials JM)!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: January 14th, 2023, 6:36 pm . . . Although I didn't know the moderator's real name (I was not as palsy-walsy with him as some here seem to have been), there are people on this board who seem to know it, and it's not Carolyn (it's a man's name, initials JM)!
TopBilled Unmasked!
Last edited by EP Millstone on January 14th, 2023, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields