Our New Moderator

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
CinemaInternational

Re: Our New Moderator

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: January 12th, 2023, 5:51 pm Why does a board with 40 members need 4 moderators?
Maybe more members might be incoming, if some of the old members from here that migrated to Facebook could come back here (or if more from the TCM boards arrive. I would love to see Lorna come back.)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Hibi wrote: January 12th, 2023, 5:51 pm Why does a board with 40 members need 4 moderators?
Because none of them are on here very often?
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 12th, 2023, 5:54 pm
Maybe more members might be incoming, if some of the old members from here that migrated to Facebook could come back here (or if more from the TCM boards arrive. I would love to see Lorna come back.)
I actually think that few, if any, of our TCM crowd migrated to Facebook. It's a different kind of experience, and it's not easy to be anonymous there. Many of the old TCM group do post at "the other board," as I do on occasion. One thing I like about both boards is the absence of the intense political discussions. TCM was wise to inaugurate the off-topic feature, to keep politics out of the film discussions, but it got out of hand. And besides, we all have enough people in our lives to argue about politics with.

There are more important issues in this world to argue about than politics! ;)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 6:40 pm
I actually think that few, if any, of our TCM crowd migrated to Facebook. It's a different kind of experience, and it's not easy to be anonymous there. Many of the old TCM group do post at "the other board," as I do on occasion. One thing I like about both boards is the absence of the intense political discussions. TCM was wise to inaugurate the off-topic feature, to keep politics out of the film discussions, but it got out of hand. And besides, we all have enough people in our lives to argue about politics with.

Hey, you won the lottery at "the other board". If you only post on occasion, I'm going to ask that the lottery be changed to a weighted lottery based on number of post per-period. (joking, since I wouldn't wish to give out my personal info just to get a $10 Amazon gift card).
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 12th, 2023, 6:46 pm

Hey, you won the lottery at "the other board". If you only post on occasion, I'm going to ask that the lottery be changed to a weighted lottery based on number of post per-period. (joking, since I wouldn't wish to give out my personal info just to get a $10 Amazon gift card).
Thanks for letting me know. I won it last month, and graciously declined, so that the runner-up could reap the largesse. I'll pop in there now. (It is a nice idea, btw.)

Edit: I just declined the award. But I think it's a very gracious gesture for the mod there to offer a prize, and I think Carolyn is great! (I consider my postings there to be "on occasion," but I guess it's more than I thought. I have gotten into some good conversations there.)
MovieCollectorOH

Post by MovieCollectorOH »

EP Millstone wrote: January 12th, 2023, 1:43 pm
Lomm wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:48 am . . . At TCM, you could easily ignore one or two people who got on your nerves. There were hundreds (guessing) of other posters to interact with. Here, there are about 40, if I'm being generous . . .
Once again I must express my appreciation for SSO moderators who participate in discussions . . . unlike the mute monarchs who moderated The TCM Message Boards.

There might be about 40 SSO members, but not all 40 actively participate. Hell, I could only get a tad over half that number of members to vote in the poll I created. According to the Members list, there are SSO newbies who've never posted. I've seen registered users who visit -- are online -- but don't post. Nothing interests them, I guess.

Then there are the TCM Message Board migrants who split their time between this site and "God's Little Acre" -- I don't know how its traffic stacks up against traffic on the SSO.
I've still been busy getting things back in order after this past year. So last night I watched a piece of newer dreck - "The Car", and tonight I thought I might watch Damnation Alley. There are times when I see a poll but don't vote on it. I saw the poll for the upvote but just didn't contribute, as I am usually pretty neutral on many things. I am on both boards. Just don't say bad things about Joe E. Brown. Bah humbug! :smiley_disco:
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Nobody is here 24x7, basically.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LawrenceA wrote: January 12th, 2023, 5:55 pm
Because none of them are on here very often?

LOL.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lomm wrote: January 13th, 2023, 8:03 am
Nobody is here 24x7, basically.

Easy job!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 6:51 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 12th, 2023, 6:46 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I won it last month, and graciously declined, so that the runner-up could reap the largesse. I'll pop in there now. (It is a nice idea, btw.)

Edit: I just declined the award. But I think it's a very gracious gesture for the mod there to offer a prize, and I think Carolyn is great! (I consider my postings there to be "on occasion," but I guess it's more than I thought. I have gotten into some good conversations there.)

Who is Carolyn?
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Hibi wrote Who is Carolyn ?

and I'm asking What other board?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Hibi wrote: January 13th, 2023, 10:02 am
Who is Carolyn?
Every month, the moderator of "the other place" holds a lottery. Eligibility is based on the number of posts; the threshold is not that high. The moderator's friend -- Carolyn -- conducts a video drawing. She dresses up in various costumes to do so. She's very engaging, and it's fun. Three names are chosen, with alternates. I've won twice but chose not to accept, so the $10 Amazon gift card goes to a runner up. You have to provide an email address to receive the card, though that's probably not a problem, since everyone (presumably) has anonymous emails.

I've decided to refer to the other board as "the other place," just like they do in each of the two houses of the British Parliament. They never say "House of Commons," or "House of Lords" when referring to the other house. Just "the other place;" or "another place."
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: January 13th, 2023, 10:49 am
Hibi wrote: January 13th, 2023, 10:02 am
Who is Carolyn?
Every month, the moderator of "the other place" holds a lottery. Eligibility is based on the number of posts; the threshold is not that high. The moderator's friend -- Carolyn -- conducts a video drawing. She dresses up in various costumes to do so. She's very engaging, and it's fun. Three names are chosen, with alternates. I've won twice but chose not to accept, so the $10 Amazon gift card goes to a runner up. You have to provide an email address to receive the card, though that's probably not a problem, since everyone (presumably) has anonymous emails.

I've decided to refer to the other board as "the other place," just like they do in each of the two houses of the British Parliament. They never say "House of Commons," or "House of Lords" when referring to the other house. Just "the other place;" or "another place."
I prefer E.P. Millstone's coinage : God's Little Acre

...with the hope that there shalt not have any Gods before us in this place
Mona
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

KayFrancis wrote: January 13th, 2023, 10:43 am Hibi wrote Who is Carolyn ?

"The other place" is another board frequented by the TCM board diaspora. It was founded -- and is moderated -- by a frequent TCM poster. Each of the two boards -- the other place, and this board -- has a good share of distinguished TCM board alumni, a few of whom post (or lurk) on both boards.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

KayFrancis wrote: January 13th, 2023, 10:43 am
It has the name "Classicfilmtvradio". Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but it gets the point across, I guess.

It's the site TopBilled started and administrates as an alternate to the TCM boards. It has a fairly active community, more so than this one, but not by much. Several people have accounts at each place, including Cuthbert/Swithin, Jamesjazzguitar, LostHorizons/Sukhov, LiamCasey, marysara, and others, I'm sure. I have an account there, too, but rarely post.

Some of the names from the old boards who frequent there include: starliteyes, shutoo, lonesomepolecat, BingFan, sepiatone, Lucky Dan, Nipkowdisc, sagebrush, Roy Cronin, ericj, among others.

One thing that differentiates this site and that one is that over there, you don't have to have an account to post. You're listed as "guest", although you can also provide a name for each post. I could see that being abused, though, as it allows for unlimited one-off "sock puppet" accounts.

Here's the link:
https://classicfilmtvradio.freeforums.net/
Watching until the end.