Our New Moderator

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Masha

Re: Our New Moderator

Post by Masha »

LawrenceA wrote: January 11th, 2023, 2:40 pm I wouldn't be missed.
I would miss you.

We had little contact on that other board but I did like very much reading your opinions and reviews.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lomm wrote: January 11th, 2023, 3:29 pm Every board that is not run by a corporation (and even some that are) has moderators and admins who are also active participants.
I am a member of one forum in which two of the Moderators are great good people who take their duties seriously while keeping a light touch. They happen to also loathe each other and each has banned the other from their board within the forum.

It takes all kinds.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

FYI : I have edited my post above.
Mona
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I feel the need to clarify that while I appreciate the positive responses from everyone, I wasn't trying to elicit such compliments. My point in saying that I wouldn't be missed is that I understand that my contributions to THIS message board are not of any sort of value that would make my participation, or lack thereof, anything to sway the decision making of the powers-that-be.

But, again, thanks.
Watching until the end.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: January 11th, 2023, 2:40 pm I generally get along with Tikisoo now, but she is still the only message board member to PM me to ask that I leave the TCM boards, with the reasoning that she wasn't interested in what I was posting. Pardon me if I don't see this development as something to cheer about.

This may be common practice with message boards, and I understand why it's required here, but thanks to the TCM boards, I grew used to the moderation team not being activate participants in the discussions on the boards. Having that be the case here will take getting used to, particularly when at least one of the mods has a history of being actively antagonistic towards you.

And I know this is dredging up old stuff, but I felt like putting all my cards on the table. And I realize that I don't bring anything of note to this message board, and that I wouldn't be missed.
I doubt Tikisoo herself even remembers writing that because she complimented you back when she mistook me for you in the other thread. Unless she out of the blue, contacted you and told you to get lost I think there was probably some prior interaction that rubbed her the wrong way at the time and made her lash out at you. Everyone is guilty of doing stuff like that and it shouldn't mar your perception of them forever.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Thanks for taking this on, Tiki.

(...nice to know our "new home" here at SSO will continue to be in good hands)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

LawrenceA wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:14 pm I feel the need to clarify that while I appreciate the positive responses from everyone, I wasn't trying to elicit such compliments. My point in saying that I wouldn't be missed is that I understand that my contributions to THIS message board are not of any sort of value that would make my participation, or lack thereof, anything to sway the decision making of the powers-that-be.

But, again, thanks.
That’s a bunch of corn Lawrence, you can post with the best of ‘em and don’t you forget it.
Last edited by Thompson on January 12th, 2023, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks everyone! I'll do my best!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lomm wrote: January 11th, 2023, 3:29 pm
We have a very small user base, and it's likely you will interact with individuals directly much more often than you may have in the past at a big commercial board like TCM. We're here to talk about something we all love. It should be a pleasure. Thanks.
Thanks to the "Search Users Posts" function on this board, I did a survey which underscores the fact that the new vitality of this board is due to the influx of those of us from TCM. We give this board life. Almost all of the current posters here joined this board in the fall of 2022, after the TCM board announced its sunsetting.

There are a very few current posters here who joined this board in earlier years, but they hadn't been active posters here, until the TCM sunsetting. Here are examples:

Lomm: Two last posts in August 2020 and January 2021 (To my knowledge, Lomm was not a TCM poster. If that's the case, he/she may be the only one.)
LZ Cutter: Apart from a post here in January 2022 with the sad news of Ms. Finnie's passing, LZ's last post here was in July 2018.
Masha: Last post here in January 2020, though a regular contributor to TCM.
Sue Sue: Last post in January 2021.
TikiSoo: Last post here in October 2013, though a regular contributor to TCM.

Though Masha and Tiki regularly enriched the TCM board with their posts, they have great gaps in their posting here, until the TCM sunsetting.
So this data proves what I guess we all already knew: that it is thanks to us refugees (and very few returning prodigals) from TCM that this SSO lives!

(I provide this data because I think it should be interesting. Every entity should assess its vitality or lack thereof. I also want to underscore the fact that this SSO was not some vital place that was disrupted by TCM refugees. The only status quo that existed here was inactivity!)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

You're right about the reason for the revival of this board, Cuthbert. No question about that. My point however, was that regardless of where any of us came from, there's no reason for drama or bickering; we're here because we love classic films. Disagreements? Of course! But when it devolves into that bickering, it's no fun for anyone. At TCM, you could easily ignore one or two people who got on your nerves. There were hundreds (guessing) of other posters to interact with. Here, there are about 40, if I'm being generous, and you're much less likely to be able to just ignore someone, even if you put them on a "foe" list, because the discussions will feature fewer people, simply because there are fewer of us! :) That's all I was saying.
I don't personally care where anyone came from, or why they came. I'm glad to have the place active again.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lomm wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:48 am You're right about the reason for the revival of this board, Cuthbert. No question about that. My point however, was that regardless of where any of us came from, there's no reason for drama or bickering; we're here because we love classic films. Disagreements? Of course! But when it devolves into that bickering, it's no fun for anyone. At TCM, you could easily ignore one or two people who got on your nerves. There were hundreds (guessing) of other posters to interact with. Here, there are about 40, if I'm being generous, and you're much less likely to be able to just ignore someone, even if you put them on a "foe" list, because the discussions will feature fewer people, simply because there are fewer of us! :) That's all I was saying.
I don't personally care where anyone came from, or why they came. I'm glad to have the place active again.
Thanks Lomm, if we had a like button, I would like your post! :)

In all my years (16) on the TCM board, I never put anyone on "ignore," and only once did I report a post, because a certain poster said something really vile to another poster.

And as someone who is involved in theater, I've always felt that drama belongs on the stage!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Great post, Cuthbert!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:48 am . . . At TCM, you could easily ignore one or two people who got on your nerves. There were hundreds (guessing) of other posters to interact with. Here, there are about 40, if I'm being generous . . .
Once again I must express my appreciation for SSO moderators who participate in discussions . . . unlike the mute monarchs who moderated The TCM Message Boards.

There might be about 40 SSO members, but not all 40 actively participate. Hell, I could only get a tad over half that number of members to vote in the poll I created. According to the Members list, there are SSO newbies who've never posted. I've seen registered users who visit -- are online -- but don't post. Nothing interests them, I guess.

Then there are the TCM Message Board migrants who split their time between this site and "God's Little Acre" -- I don't know how its traffic stacks up against traffic on the SSO.
Last edited by EP Millstone on January 12th, 2023, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:54 am
Lomm wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:48 am You're right about the reason for the revival of this board, Cuthbert. No question about that. My point however, was that regardless of where any of us came from, there's no reason for drama or bickering; we're here because we love classic films. Disagreements? Of course! But when it devolves into that bickering, it's no fun for anyone. At TCM, you could easily ignore one or two people who got on your nerves. There were hundreds (guessing) of other posters to interact with. Here, there are about 40, if I'm being generous, and you're much less likely to be able to just ignore someone, even if you put them on a "foe" list, because the discussions will feature fewer people, simply because there are fewer of us! :) That's all I was saying.
Thanks Lomm, if we had a like button, I would like your post! :)

In all my years (16) on the TCM board, I never put anyone on "ignore," and only once did I report a post, because a certain poster said something really vile to another poster.

And as someone who is involved in theater, I've always felt that drama belongs on the stage!
LIKE!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Why does a board with 40 members need 4 moderators?