NOIR or NOT?

jimimac71

Re: NOIR or NOT?

Post by jimimac71 »

The above post has something wrong with it. Okay, previous page.
I see text from JamesJazzGuitar and the video from CinemaInternational.
A previous post from JJG is blank as is the post from CigarJoe.
In another thread I mentioned having lost a post because the forum asked me to log back in. Dargo surprised me by having the same issue.
I try to avoid the reply feature as it gets tricky.
Also use the preview feature to make sure my post looks correct.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

What does everyone think of Night Of The Hunter (1955)? Noir or not?

I think not, it seems more like a twisted fairy tale than a noir.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: June 15th, 2023, 8:15 am What does everyone think of Night Of The Hunter (1955)? Noir or not?

I think not, it seems more like a twisted fairy tale than a noir.
More not noir, than noir.
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

Noir is a style not a genre so if a film has a dark story and filmed in a Noir Visually Stylistic manner can be a Noir of any genre. So besides the Crime Noir we have Night of the Hunter as a twisted Fantasy Noir, Repeat Performance, Cat People, and Alias Nick Beal, are all Fantasy Noir. Lost Weekend, In A Lonely Place, and Sweet Smell Of Success are Drama Noir, Blood On The Moon, The Outcasts of Poker Flat, Pursued are Noir Westerns, , Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Indestructible Man, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Thing and Transitional Noir Seconds are Sci-Fi Noir, I want To Live, Why must I Die, The Wrong Man, Neo Noirs Lenny, and Raging Bull are Bio Noir. Dementia - Daughter of Horror, Transitional Noir The Glass Cage and The Savage Eye are Experimental Noir. Hitchcock made Suspense and Thriller Noir.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

C*i*g*a*rTheJoe wrote: June 24th, 2023, 11:56 am Noir is a style not a genre so if a film has a dark story and filmed in a Noir Visually Stylistic manner can be a Noir of any genre. So besides the Crime Noir we have Night of the Hunter as a twisted Fantasy Noir, Repeat Performance, Cat People, and Alias Nick Beal, are all Fantasy Noir. Lost Weekend, In A Lonely Place, and Sweet Smell Of Success are Drama Noir, Blood On The Moon, The Outcasts of Poker Flat, Pursued are Noir Westerns, , Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Indestructible Man, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Thing and Transitional Noir Seconds are Sci-Fi Noir, I want To Live, Why must I Die, The Wrong Man, Neo Noirs Lenny, and Raging Bull are Bio Noir. Dementia - Daughter of Horror, Transitional Noir The Glass Cage and The Savage Eye are Experimental Noir. Hitchcock made Suspense and Thriller Noir.
And don't forget here, CJ...

One Million B.C. (1940)--Neanderthal Noir

And so then of course making its remake...

One Million YEARS B.C. (1966) and filmed in Technicolor--Neanderthal NEO-Noir

(...SEE?!...I learn fast, huh) ;)
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

You sure did, lol.
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Hear is a good example of Noir being a style rather than a genre. The Pottersville sequence in It's A Wonderful Life. Nobody is calling It's A Wonderful Life a Noir but that whole Pottersville sequence sure is.

Detective Jim McLeod

Shadow Of A Doubt (1943) Noir or not?

This has been on TCM's Noir Alley, though I never thought of it as a "noir". Just a suspense thriller. The only "noir" type scene was the shadowy one where Teresa Wright tells Joseph Cotten to "go away or I'll kill you myself"
Detective Jim McLeod

That Darn Cat (1965), is it possible for a Disney film to be noir?

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: December 20th, 2023, 12:44 pm That Darn Cat (1965), is it possible for a Disney film to be noir?

Coincidentally, Eddie's been on a cat kick lately, with the publication of his Kiddie/Kittie Noir book...