March 2023 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Discussion of programming on TCM.
EP Millstone

Re: March 2023 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Post by EP Millstone »

Thank you, cmovieviewer, for your tireless efforts in persevering with the TCM schedules!

I generally tune out TCM during 31 Days of Oscar (ditto during Summer Under the Stars). That said, I'm delighted that the 2023 edition of 31 Days of Oscar ends with horror films -- a genre (my favorite!) traditionally and unjustly shunned by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. With the exception of Poltergeist, which I have viewed only once, I've seen the Horror offerings numerous times. So, I'll skip that broadcast.

. . . but it's the thought that counts!
Last edited by EP Millstone on February 23rd, 2023, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
FilmCinema

Post by FilmCinema »

cmovieviewer, any indication of when the April schedule will be released?
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

EPM - Thank you for the kind words. It is nice to get a variety of genres during Oscar month. Film Noir is a similar category that at least is getting attention for one evening.

FC - The April schedule is becoming overdue. Fingers crossed that it will be released any day now.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

EP Millstone wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 4:30 pm Thank you, cmovieviewer, for your tireless efforts in persevering with the TCM schedules!

I generally tune out TCM during 31 Days of Oscar (ditto during Summer Under the Stars). That said, I'm delighted that the 2023 edition of 31 Days of Oscar ends with horror films -- a genre (my favorite!) traditionally and unjustly shunned by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. With the exception of Poltergeist, which I have viewed only once, I've seen the Horror offerings numerous times. So, I'll skip that broadcast.

. . . but it's the thought that counts!
Well, the 28 Days of February have been blah so far.
Looking forward to 31 Days of Oscar.
Summer Under The Stars is hit and miss.
Wonderful if you like the star of the day, but a stinker when you don’t.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jimimac71 wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 7:31 pm Well, the 28 Days of February have been blah so far.
Looking forward to 31 Days of Oscar.
Summer Under The Stars is hit and miss.
Wonderful if you like the star of the day, but a stinker when you don’t.
Exactly!

31 Days of Oscar offers the same ol'-same ol' (to me; I realize that there are Oscar winners that have never been seen by many folks). Ditto for Summer Under the Stars, which usually tribute movie stars who are not my faves.

As much as I love Turner Classic Movies -- and I do love it! -- it hasn't been my default Go To source for "classic" movies ever since the explosion of streaming services and channels. I understand that the TCM library is limited (too much MGM -- my least favorite Golden Age studio -- as far as I'm concerned, and barely any Universal -- my favorite GA studio). Fortunately, competitors offering more of what I'm looking for movie-wise have been a blessing and a salvation.

Regarding the March programming, I might check out Nicholas and Alexandra,, The Paper Chase, and Three Colors: Red -- all of which I've never seen.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

No wonder we disagree Mr. Millstone.
I love MGM musicals to bits.
Favorite movie is Victor/Victoria.
I personally don’t care for the movies being announced front and back.
(I mostly listen to Internet radio without any announcers)
I also don’t care for themes either.
Just play the movies already.
TCM could go totally automated I’d be happy.
This is probably why streaming is successful.
Cable TV is all I have.
Not too old to learn new tricks, just too lazy.
I get how people are migrating to on-demand services.
My favorite channel is MeTV not TCM.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jimimac71 wrote: February 24th, 2023, 5:30 pm No wonder we disagree Mr. Millstone.
I love MGM musicals to bits.
Favorite movie is Victor/Victoria.
I have a few musicals in my movie library (42nd Street, Damn Yankees, Bye Bye Birdie, A Hard Day's Night, Help, How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying, Oliver!, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Phantom of the Paradise, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Tommy, All That Jazz, Cabaret, Mamma Mia!). Victor Victoria isn't one of them. I recently watched it on The Criterion Channel and didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first time that I saw it.

My least favorite genre is Action-Adventure. Musicals are a close second.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: January 19th, 2023, 6:43 am I'm still waiting for TCM to show King of the Zombies (1941), which was nominated for Best Music Score.
:smiley_cheer: :smiley_cheer:
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

cmovieviewer wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 7:27 pm The April schedule is becoming overdue. Fingers crossed that it will be released any day now.
Thanks so much for keeping up with this for us- I always peruse the schedule a month in advance to plan out what to view/record.
:smiley_worship:
I took a quick look at March "premieres" and scrolled through the schedule but found NOTHING of interest to me personally. Like Summer Under The Stars, I often skip the entire month.
That's what happens when you've been a fan of classic film for decades and "seen them all" (really, just seen all "available")

Thankfully, there's a big stack of DVDs from previous months just waiting in the queue. My movie stockpile.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Using the TCM website, it is possible to look at the daily schedule a month out.
I watch TV in real-time.
Just like VHS tapes, if I DVR something, I don't remember to watch it.
I mostly watch TCM on the weekends.
I pay an extra $9.99/month to Xfinity for a Sports/Entertainment package that includes TCM.
Sometimes I wonder why.
I typically loathe sports. Baseball is something I can tolerate.
I often watch an evening game repeated the following day, in a condensed version.
My answer to a stack of DVDs.
I doubt TCM pays attention to this or any other forum.
So they don't know and probably don't care what viewers think.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Here's TCM's 31 Days of Oscar 2023 trailer:

A clip from GANGS OF NEW YORK (a TCM premiere) is at the 0:35 point of the video.
The movie was nominated for 10 Oscars but didn't receive any.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

In his wrap-up for Noir Alley this evening, Eddie Muller mentioned that the month of April on TCM will be dedicated to a tribute to the 100th anniversary of Warner Brothers. So there will be no Noir Alley in April (as well as March due to 31 Days of Oscar).

It sounds like the special programming may preempt all of the usual TCM series for the month, and this would also explain why TCM is so late in posting the schedule for April.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

cmovieviewer wrote: February 26th, 2023, 1:59 am In his wrap-up for Noir Alley this evening, Eddie Muller mentioned that the month of April on TCM will be dedicated to a tribute to the 100th anniversary of Warner Brothers. So there will be no Noir Alley in April (as well as March due to 31 Days of Oscar).

It sounds like the special programming may preempt all of the usual TCM series for the month, and this would also explain why TCM is so late in posting the schedule for April.
The actual anniversary in 4 April 2023, so that makes sense, but I'm sure there will be some unhappy folks (can't please everybody, as the saying goes). It's also a focus of this year's TCM Film Festival, which will be just 10 days later.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

31 Days of Oscar is now on the TCM site.
FilmCinema

Post by FilmCinema »

cmovieviewer wrote: February 26th, 2023, 1:59 am In his wrap-up for Noir Alley this evening, Eddie Muller mentioned that the month of April on TCM will be dedicated to a tribute to the 100th anniversary of Warner Brothers. So there will be no Noir Alley in April (as well as March due to 31 Days of Oscar).

So I'm assuming that we won't get April's schedule until later in the month? Doesn't seem as if it's updated on TCM's website.