MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CinemaInternational

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by CinemaInternational »

I think I nearly teared up today seeing the Robert Osbourne intros. And it was fascinating to see him introducing An American in Paris with a conversation with Dave Karger in 2007.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

We're almost at the exact hour of TCM's first sign-on. They signed on the air at 6 p.m. EDT on 14 April 1994.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Kermit the Frog with Robert.

"I'll keep on going until I croak"

LOL
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

LOL
Also Kermit the Frog with Robert

"It's not easy being me, I'm in the Food Chain"

LOL
Andree

Post by Andree »

Diabolique. I'll be there.

I hadn't seen GG in years. For whatever reason the two Edies seemed less bizarre
than they did the last time I saw the movie. I was checking out some GG info
on the net. It helps clear up some of the things in the movie that aren't always
that understandable. After Big Edie died a few years after the movie came out,
Little Edie sold it to Ben Bradlee and Sally Quinn of WP fame for around $200,
000. Of course hey had to spend a lot in renovating the property. Little Edie
died in 2002 at age 84 in Florida.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 8:36 pm Holden, how could I forget Girl For All Seasons??? I think I would put that one ahead of Cool Rider!

Thanks, Bronnxgirl, for show GREASE 2 the love that it deserves.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

kingrat wrote: April 14th, 2024, 4:16 pm I saw the outro to GREY GARDENS last night while I was waiting for Noir Alley. Olivia Wilde, wearing a lovely green pantsuit, was the guest who had chosen it. She said all the things you might expect--no, it wasn't exploitative, the Maysles Brothers weren't manipulative, etc. That's not how I saw it, the time I watched the first 20 or 30 minutes, as much as I could stomach. Of course, the film has its admirers, too.
I do like GREY GARDENS because it preserves the unique spirit of Little Edie Beale, but I am completely aware that the Maysles (and others involved in the film) exploited her and her mother and that they manipulated their footage to create a dramatic narrative for the finished product. The big fight scene, for example, where Little Edie lashes out at her mother for destroying her last chance for romantic happiness by driving away her last suitor happened early in the shooting, but the Maysles chose to include that near the end for dramatic effect. Also, it's obvious that she is waiting to be cued to make "an entrance" on at least one occasion.

But I am glad that this "S-T-A-U-N-C-H" woman has been captured on film.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 15th, 2024, 2:40 am
kingrat wrote: April 14th, 2024, 4:16 pm I saw the outro to GREY GARDENS last night while I was waiting for Noir Alley. Olivia Wilde, wearing a lovely green pantsuit, was the guest who had chosen it. She said all the things you might expect--no, it wasn't exploitative, the Maysles Brothers weren't manipulative, etc. That's not how I saw it, the time I watched the first 20 or 30 minutes, as much as I could stomach. Of course, the film has its admirers, too.
I do like GREY GARDENS because it preserves the unique spirit of Little Edie Beale, but I am completely aware that the Maysles (and others involved in the film) exploited her and her mother and that they manipulated their footage to create a dramatic narrative for the finished product. The big fight scene, for example, where Little Edie lashes out at her mother for destroying her last chance for romantic happiness by driving away her last suitor happened early in the shooting, but the Maysles chose to include that near the end for dramatic effect. Also, it's obvious that she is waiting to be cued to make "an entrance" on at least one occasion.

Christine Ebersole was fabulous as Little Edie in the musical Grey Gardens.

She performed "The Revolutionary Costume For Today" at 2007 Tony Awards.

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:13 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 15th, 2024, 2:40 am

Christine Ebersole was fabulous as Little Edie in the musical Grey Gardens.

She performed "The Revolutionary Costume For Today" at 2007 Tony Awards.

I worked with Christine once, she's quite a character. That scene reminds me of a scene from Merchant/Ivory's first American film, Savages (1972), featuring Anne Francine, who herself was a socialite in real life.

Last edited by Swithin on April 15th, 2024, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Sat next to her at the TCM Film Festival the only time I bought the pass for the opening night film (The Sound of Music was that year for its 50th anniversary). This was a year or two before War Paint. On the other side of us was James Cromwell. Both were very nice. Ended up walking back to the hotel in a group with Christine Ebersole. Was able to see her in War Paint a couple years later. I've been a fan since her Oklahoma! and SNL days.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 9th, 2024, 6:26 pm
Detective Jim McLeod wrote: April 9th, 2024, 5:10 pm
Swithin wrote: April 9th, 2024, 3:57 pm

"Disaster to the wench who did wrong by our Johnny." (Oops, wrong movie.)
In the right movie, Bart Hunter (Arthur Kennedy) says "Molly is merely a succulent little wench!"
My favorite A SUMMER PLACE quote is Molly (in Sandra Dee's New Jersey accent) saying to her mother:
"Johnny's lettuhs were all I had to live for. And now you've even made them dirty."

Haha!
I am from New Jersey, but, yeah, so true . . .
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:04 am
Andree wrote: April 7th, 2024, 5:13 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 11:04 pm
When needing a quick dessert I sometimes mix chocolate chip morsels into my Philadelphia cream cheese and then just gobble it up on a plate. A bagel isn't even necessary!

ONE TOUCH OF VENUS just concluded, and I remembered almost every line of dialogue. I've always however thought how unfortunate this movie was not given a lush MGM color treatment but instead is low budget black-and-white, making the whole production look a bit drab overall. Eve Arden still steals every scene!
That's basically what these folks do. And it is good all by itself. When I was a
kid I used to mix Ovaltine with a little milk to make a very thick ice cream
topping.

I found OTOV to be very charming for the first half hour and then the musical
numbers started, some of which were on the corny side. That diminished the
film a little, but didn't spoil it. Overall, fairly enjoyable.

Fred C. Hobbs pans for gold in the Pacific ocean. Didn't find any, but it sure
beats getting hacked to death by Mexican bandits.

I love Ovaltine!

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

"A crummy commercial1"
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Do any of you think Erich Maria Remarque was inspired by the movie the Big Parade which came out four years before his book? Both movie and book have a scene where a soldier is stuck in a foxhole with a wounded/ dying enemy combatant and they learn to sympathize with enemy soldiers who are just as much victims of war as themselves. The two scenes struck me as so similar I wonder if he was inspired by the film?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: April 14th, 2024, 4:24 pm We're almost at the exact hour of TCM's first sign-on. They signed on the air at 6 p.m. EDT on 14 April 1994.
My cable company didn't add the channel till a few years later so I missed all that.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 15th, 2024, 10:20 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:04 am
Andree wrote: April 7th, 2024, 5:13 pm

That's basically what these folks do. And it is good all by itself. When I was a
kid I used to mix Ovaltine with a little milk to make a very thick ice cream
topping.

I found OTOV to be very charming for the first half hour and then the musical
numbers started, some of which were on the corny side. That diminished the
film a little, but didn't spoil it. Overall, fairly enjoyable.

Fred C. Hobbs pans for gold in the Pacific ocean. Didn't find any, but it sure
beats getting hacked to death by Mexican bandits.

I love Ovaltine!

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

"A crummy commercial1"

"Don't eat the turkey yet, you'll get worms!"