MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin, thanks so much for that Sarris link. Wow! I wonder what he thought of Scorcese.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:16 pm

I'm remembering a scene in I think FRENZY where a police inspector tells his colleague how much tourists look forward to British fog and serial killers. Conversely it seems our across-the-pond cousins always wax enthusiastic about Al Capone.

Yes, George Stevens sets that scene up very well. I haven't read the novel but did see the original 1931 film. Sylvia Sidney is much more appealing than poor Shelley, though.

Too bad about CRY WOLF. I have no intention either of buying or renting.

There is no accounting for taste. I guess to the Brits Capone is some kind of unique figure, but I've always seen him as a
run of the mill gangster, though likely the most famous one of that era, with the usual attendant violence and flashy wardrobe.
Yawn.

You do feel sorry for Shelley in the beginning, but all that whining takes a toll on one's sympathies. Just shut up already.
Still, Georgie was wrong to do what he did.

Me neither. Every once in a while I will see a movie that has a buy or rent option and then right next to it the same movie
for free. Doesn't happen very often of course.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

For some reason many Europeans (except the Brits, who refer to them as "the continent") whenever they meet an American (on-screen), their response is "Do you live in Chicago? Al Capone, rat-a-tat-tat!" complete with machine gun body language. I too never exactly understood Scarface's "appeal".

I always wondered what George saw in Alice. I mean, he tells Liz "I don't waste my time" but I suppose, being a guy, George needed, well, an "outlet" to quell those lonely nights while waiting for Uncle to move him up the family ladder of success.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Did Maria Schell ever not smile?
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 26th, 2023, 12:42 pm For some reason many Europeans (except the Brits, who refer to them as "the continent") whenever they meet an American (on-screen), their response is "Do you live in Chicago? Al Capone, rat-a-tat-tat!" complete with machine gun body language. I too never exactly understood Scarface's "appeal".

I always wondered what George saw in Alice. I mean, he tells Liz "I don't waste my time" but I suppose, being a guy, George needed, well, an "outlet" to quell those lonely nights while waiting for Uncle to move him up the family ladder of success.
Capone was good at branding and it stuck, while other of his contemporaries like Pretty Boy Floyd and Machine Gun Kelly had to settle
for second billing, even though they were more eccentric and interesting than Big Al, the 800 pound gorilla of American gangsters.

Yeah, Georgie probably knew a relationship with Liz would take a little time, so he'd have his fun with one of his co-workers, which made
things very convenient. He should have gone to the pharmacist before and not after.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:30 pm Swithin, thanks so much for that Sarris link. Wow! I wonder what he thought of Scorcese.
Every time somebody mentions Scorcese, I think of this scene:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: January 26th, 2023, 4:31 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 26th, 2023, 12:42 pm For some reason many Europeans (except the Brits, who refer to them as "the continent") whenever they meet an American (on-screen), their response is "Do you live in Chicago? Al Capone, rat-a-tat-tat!" complete with machine gun body language. I too never exactly understood Scarface's "appeal".

Capone was good at branding and it stuck, while other of his contemporaries like Pretty Boy Floyd and Machine Gun Kelly had to settle
for second billing, even though they were more eccentric and interesting than Big Al, the 800 pound gorilla of American gangsters.

Yeah, Georgie probably knew a relationship with Liz would take a little time, so he'd have his fun with one of his co-workers, which made
things very convenient. He should have gone to the pharmacist before and not after.

Capone is so iconic you can have virtually anybody portray him. I'm thinking of Jason Robards, Jr. in THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE. There's probably not a less appropriate looking actor to do so unless maybe it's Wally Cox.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

SHOWGIRLS, one of the great bad movies.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 26th, 2023, 12:42 pm For some reason many Europeans (except the Brits, who refer to them as "the continent") whenever they meet an American (on-screen), their response is "Do you live in Chicago? Al Capone, rat-a-tat-tat!" complete with machine gun body language.
This reminds me of the time my wife and I had purchased BritRail passes and did a big loop through the U.K. back in 1996.

While in Stratford-upon-Avon, we happened upon a street performer with a strong Cockney accent whose routine consisted of juggling and jokes.

When he got to his grand finale, an escape from a straitjacket, he told the crowd surrounding him that he needed an assistant to help buckle all its buckles and straps and to make sure he was actually secured within it. For whatever reason, he picked me out of his audience. (my wife has always said it was because of my "big face")

And so while I was performing this function for him, he asked loud enough for everyone to hear, where I hailed from. "Los Angeles", I replied.

He then got a big laugh from those surrounding us when he in turn quickly replied, "So, is this the largest number of people standing around in a circle you've ever seen that doesn't have a chalk line of a body in the middle of it?"
Last edited by Dargo on January 27th, 2023, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 26th, 2023, 6:58 pm

Capone is so iconic you can have virtually anybody portray him. I'm thinking of Jason Robards, Jr. in THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE. There's probably not a less appropriate looking actor to do so unless maybe it's Wally Cox.
Or Franklin Pangborn. Don't make me use my feather duster. Robards certainly doesn't look like Al Capone or have his
heft. The only ones I can think of offhand who looked like Capone were Rod Steiger in......Al Capone and Robert
De Niro in The Untouchables. Very menacing.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:12 pm Did Maria Schell ever not smile?
No, and the most pregnant smile that ever was. She gives the smile that smothers. Mawkish and saccharine to he hilt and usually with fluttery blinky eyes. They should make horror movies with that smile.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

kingrat wrote: January 26th, 2023, 7:36 pm
Swithin, I am not a fan of Andrew Sarris, thumb my nose at his categories, and deeply regret that his mistranslation of the politique des auteurs as the "auteur theory" has received such currency. Otherwise, I'm sure he was a swell guy. From time to time he can say something interesting about a film.
When I was studying Theology in college, I read Margaret Murray's The Witch-Cult in Western Europe. Murray was a scholar and the first woman to be appointed a lecturer in archeology in the UK. Despite the fact that Murray's theories about the "Dianic Cult" were largely debunked, her work is important because it was the first serious scholarly examination of the witchcraft phenomenon. Similarly, we may not agree with many (or in your case, all) of Sarris's conclusions and categories, but The American Cinema and some of Sarris's other writings were of monumental importance in the furthering of the study of American film as a serious subject for exploration in the United States. So, attention must be paid!

Martin Scorsese spoke of Sarris's respect for American movies: "We were cowed into thinking that only European cinema mattered. What Andrew showed us is that art was all around us, and that our tradition, too, had much to offer; he was our guide to the world of cinema."