MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
HoldenIsHere

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Fedya wrote: February 5th, 2023, 2:17 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: February 4th, 2023, 2:06 pm

On a PASSWORD episode that originally aired on December 16, 1966 with Elizabeth Montgomery and Jim Backus as the celebrity competitors, one of the passwords is a word that I'm surprised made it to TV during the time of the episode's original airing.
Elizabeth Montgomery's reaction when she first sees the word is priceless. She visibly take a closer look to confirm she's reading it correctly!
And you can hear host Allen Ludden chuckle.
Allen was probably perving on Elizabeth, and Betty White had to remind him gently not to do that.
I don't think I've ever seen the PASSWORD episode where Elizabeth Montgomery and Paul Lynde were the celebrity competitors.
Check out Allen Ludden sporting a turtleneck under button-up creation.

Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:36 pm Crickets at least are cute. (and have you ever noticed that Fred Astaire looked like one?)

Monsieur Roach is still on the loose.

Poor George Harvey Bone, he didn't stand a chance with Netta Longdon. I love HANGOVER SQUARE, an old favorite. George Sanders is in it for about ten minutes tops. He is also rather ill-served THE LODGER. (don't get me started on the wooden Miss Merle Oberon; I am a Linda Darnell fan through and through)

Some people consider DELIVERANCE a horror film. I think I agree.

Puppets and clowns are always frightening to me.
But ants are cuter. Not having seen a lot of Fred Astaire movies, I've never noticed that resemblance, but if so that would be one
well-dressed cricket. I'm not sure what this insect is. Thank goodness it doesn't make a continuous noise like a cricket and is kind
enough to let me sleep in peace at night.

Yes, George didn't have much to do in this one, but despite his short screen time, it looked to me like he was trying to make it
with Bone's old girlfriend. That seems to be the m.o. for these period picture police inspectors. Poor Bone. He should have realized
he didn't have a chance with Netta. But nooooo, he goes full in and just embarrasses himself.

I can see Deliverance as a horror film, sort of a southern gothic tale updated for more modern times. Don't go into the woods.
I'm neutral on puppets and clowns, but positive on Santa Claus. :smiley_santa:

Good luck with that roach. We humans have to be as persistent as they are.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

Is anyone gonna watch Gambling Lady (1934) with Joel McCrea and Barbara Stanwyck. I hear she is a scream. ...or gonna scream ... maybe. At 2pm Monday Feb 6 EST.

Or later on Little Women (1932) with Joan Bennett who is super. At 8pm Monday Feb 6 EST
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL. Pickles to the rescue. I'll keep an eye out for Escape Me Never!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:36 pm Crickets at least are cute. (and have you ever noticed that Fred Astaire looked like one?)
Don't know if you get those "72SOLD" real estate commercials back east and down your way Bronxie (I believe this is a nationwide company), but this comment of yours here is very similar to the one my wife has made about its founder Greg Hague here and who's been this company's spokeman for some time...except in THIS case, my wife says HE looks like a grasshopper...

(...and which might NOW beg the question: What IS the difference between a cricket and a grasshopper?...and perhaps NOW begging ANOTHER question here: I wonder what Connie Stevens is up to now days?) ;)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:16 pm
Don't know if you get those "72SOLD" real estate commercials back east and down your way Bronxie (I believe this is a nationwide company), but this comment of yours here is very similar to the one my wife has made about its founder Greg Hague here and who's been this company's spokeman for some time...except in THIS case, my wife says HE looks like a grasshopper...

(...and which might NOW beg the question: What IS the difference between a cricket and a grasshopper?...and perhaps NOW begging ANOTHER question here: I wonder what Connie Stevens is up to now days?) ;)
First time I saw this ad (which was just a couple weeks ago), I thought it was a surgically-enhanced Billy Bob Thornton.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Haha!!! Yes!!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: February 6th, 2023, 1:06 pm

First time I saw this ad (which was just a couple weeks ago), I thought it was a surgically-enhanced Billy Bob Thornton.
Yeah Tex, I suppose there is a bit of a resemblance between 72SOLD's Greg Hague up there and Billy Bob Thronton, but I'm not sure I'm gettin' what you meant by your "surgically-enhanced" comment here?

And, besides the fact that Greg's over-exaggerated use of his hands while talking runs completely counter to Billy Bob's usual understated manner of expressing himself.

(...btw...this reminds me here that I think we need a "Lookalikes" thread here at SSO, too...or, might there already be one around here that hasn't been commented into for such a long while that it's now buried?)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: February 6th, 2023, 2:56 pm
txfilmfan wrote: February 6th, 2023, 1:06 pm

Yeah Tex, I suppose there is a bit of a resemblance between 72SOLD's Greg Hague up there and Billy Bob Thronton, but I'm not sure I'm gettin' what you meant by your "surgically-enhanced" comment here?

And, besides the fact that Greg's over-exaggerated use of his hands while talking runs completely counter to Billy Bob's usual understated manner of expressing himself.

(...btw...this reminds me here that I think we need a "Lookalikes" thread here at SSO, too...or, might there already be one around here that hasn't been commented into for such a long while that it's now buried?)
This guy has far fewer wrinkles than the current Billy Bob Thornton, so I thought he looked like a Billy Bob that had plastic surgery.
laffite

Post by laffite »

BBT could have handled the direction; "Wave your hands about." He's an actor. Sure glad it wasn't him. Joe Namath is horrible, not only his obsequious face but the wares he peddles, which is a fraud. Dargo, what's there about surgically enhanced. Is it because "plastic surgery" wasn't used instead? And therefore means ... what? Or am I asking a question that shouldn't be asked.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Andree

Post by Andree »

A well-earned pat on the back to Freddie March in Executive Suite. Sure, he's callous, cold-blooded, and has a
financial ledger where his heart should be, but he gets the job done. He's organicized to the nth degree and is glued
to the bottom line to the penny. Holden? Yeah, he's a nice guy, family man to the core, but his pretty boy pipe dreams
about how to build furniture will keep the Tredway Corporation in the red for the next decade. Barbara. What does she
know? She married old man Tredway and he died. Then she set her hooks in Bullard and he drops dead too. Big surprise.
And Babs spends half of her relatively brief screen time contemplating taking a swan dive off the balcony. Lend her a little
push or better yet hand her the corporate credit card and send her to Saks Fifth Avenue. Anything to keep her out of
the boardroom. Shelley, bet your father died when you were just a child. You've been looking for daddy figures ever since.
You can do better than a middle-age, overweight lummox like Douglas, who doesn't know anything other than his sales spiel.
You'll always play second fiddle to his old lady, who is an....old lady. Look for someone your own age before the pounds start
to accumulate. And last but not least, Louis Calhern. Yes, he's a greedy so and so but how can you hate a guy whose first act
on seeing the big boss drop dead is to short his Tredway stock. March messes him up by releasing that good earnings report,
but Louie is a survivor so he'll bounce back, though he may have to cut his expenses for a while. He'll only be able to afford
a "girlfriend" who is young enough to be his daughter instead of his granddaughter, but the old boy can live with that sacrifice.
Forget Holden and the other stooges. Keep selling shoddy stuff to the suckers who will buy it year after year. Heck, GM and Ford
did it for decades until the Japanese came along with higher quality autos. And Fredric will be driving that dividend yield through
the roof. Does it matter if the dividend increases by ten cents? You're darn tootin' it does. Fred is helping innumerable widows and
orphans. Bill and his bunch will have those same widows and orphans eating dog food and using the Herald-Tribune as their bed
covers. Do shareholders want money coming in and bigger dividends? Do dogs like to eat their own vomit? Vote F.M. for president
Tredway Corp.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Andree wrote: February 6th, 2023, 6:01 pm A well-earned pat on the back to Freddie March in Executive Suite. Sure, he's callous, cold-blooded, and has a
financial ledger where his heart should be, but he gets the job done. He's organicized to the nth degree and is glued
to the bottom line to the penny. Holden? Yeah, he's a nice guy, family man to the core, but his pretty boy pipe dreams
about how to build furniture will keep the Tredway Corporation in the red for the next decade. Barbara. What does she
know? She married old man Tredway and he died. Then she set her hooks in Bullard and he drops dead too. Big surprise.
And Babs spends half of her relatively brief screen time contemplating taking a swan dive off the balcony. Lend her a little
push or better yet hand her the corporate credit card and send her to Saks Fifth Avenue. Anything to keep her out of
the boardroom. Shelley, bet your father died when you were just a child. You've been looking for daddy figures ever since.
You can do better than a middle-age, overweight lummox like Douglas, who doesn't know anything other than his sales spiel.
You'll always play second fiddle to his old lady, who is an....old lady. Look for someone your own age before the pounds start
to accumulate. And last but not least, Louis Calhern. Yes, he's a greedy so and so but how can you hate a guy whose first act
on seeing the big boss drop dead is to short his Tredway stock. March messes him up by releasing that good earnings report,
but Louie is a survivor so he'll bounce back, though he may have to cut his expenses for a while. He'll only be able to afford
a "girlfriend" who is young enough to be his daughter instead of his granddaughter, but the old boy can live with that sacrifice.
Forget Holden and the other stooges. Keep selling shoddy stuff to the suckers who will buy it year after year. Heck, GM and Ford
did it for decades until the Japanese came along with higher quality autos. And Fredric will be driving that dividend yield through
the roof. Does it matter if the dividend increases by ten cents? You're darn tootin' it does. Fred is helping innumerable widows and
orphans. Bill and his bunch will have those same widows and orphans eating dog food and using the Herald-Tribune as their bed
covers. Do shareholders want money coming in and bigger dividends? Do dogs like to eat their own vomit? Vote F.M. for president
Tredway Corp.
Yes, I quite liked this film too!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: February 6th, 2023, 6:01 pm Barbara. What does she know? She married old man Tredway and he died. Then she set her hooks in Bullard and he drops dead too.
orphans. .
According to the credits on Wiki: Barbara Stanwyck as Julia O. Tredway, daughter and heir of Tredway's founder, and Bullard's mistress
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

Abrupt change of topic, sorry: Anyone here like Rice Krispies? I just finished a bowl of them, with some banana slices. I hadn't had Rice Krispies in ages, I'd forgotten they're pretty good.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

What kind of milk? Certainly you had milk or the whole idea won’t work. What about sugar, did you top the bananas off with a little sugar?