MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo.....is it THE GIFT OF GAB? I can't think of any 9 year old cast member....and the comedian who did a great Peter Falk impression.....

I need some Advil.
Masha

Post by Masha »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 25th, 2024, 7:53 pm Can anyone connect Anna Paquin to Bela Lugosi in 6 or less steps without using the oracle app?
No - I definitely can not. :smiley_shades:
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'll remind everyone again about GOODBYE, CHARLIE before it airs Thursday, March 28th.

I just love Charlie's mid (Twentieth Century) modern Malibu bachelor beach pad.

Also mad about GOODBYE, CHARLIE'S opening. I defy anyone not to get up and start bopping about furiously during the "Seven at Once" song and party sequence. Great swingin' prologue that sets up, very Minnelli style, the plot and characters.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm pretty sure that whoever is hosting GOODBYE CHARLIE will put a p.c. apologist spin on it during the intro and/or outro.

So be prepared but relaxed, lol.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 3:31 pm I'm pretty sure that whoever is hosting GOODBYE CHARLIE will put a p.c. apologist spin on it during the intro and/or outro.

So be prepared but relaxed, lol.
Maybe, maybe not. The unofficial reimaging of it that Blake Edwards did (1991's Switch) had wilder material that would "offend" some these days (referring mostly to drunken date rape), but there it was, front and center on the Max streaming services front page for Valentine's day!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 2:48 pm Dargo.....is it THE GIFT OF GAB? I can't think of any 9 year old cast member....and the comedian who did a great Peter Falk impression.....

I need some Advil.
Yes, the Lugosi film is that, and the 9 y/o who plays the baby in it is Billy Barty.

The comedian who does a great Peter Falk impression, AND in addition is great at doing many other celebs, is this very talented guy here and who while doing him here has a funny story to tell about Falk near the end of this short video...

(...and both Billy and Kevin were in the 1988 movie 'Willow')
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 3:20 pm I'll remind everyone again about GOODBYE, CHARLIE before it airs Thursday, March 28th.

Also mad about GOODBYE, CHARLIE'S opening. I defy anyone not to get up and start bopping about furiously during the "Seven at Once" song and party sequence. Great swingin' prologue that sets up, very Minnelli style, the plot and characters.
I am definitely looking forward to watching GOODBYE, CHARLIE . . . although Hibi said it isn't very good.

I think I saw the opening once although I am not sure where.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

In other news, we have this bit of ridiculosity...

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/26/arts ... tanic.html

Heritage Auctions here in Dallas managed to find someone to pay $718,750 ($575K bid - the rest is the 25% fee to the auction house) for the prop door that was used in making Titanic. Not from the real ship - it's a Hollywood prop/replica of a piece of a door.
It's the door that Rose floated on and same said door she dumped Jack off of after the ship sank.
It came from the former Planet Hollywood empire. It's made of balsa wood.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 26th, 2024, 6:01 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 3:20 pm I'll remind everyone again about GOODBYE, CHARLIE before it airs Thursday, March 28th.

I am definitely looking forward to watching GOODBYE, CHARLIE . . . although Hibi said it isn't very good.

I think I saw the opening once although I am not sure where.
I'm recording it as I only saw it once many years ago. Will report if my opinion has changed or not.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo, thanks!! At least I remembered THE GIFT OF GAB, lol. Love that video!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 10:42 am Dargo, thanks!! At least I remembered THE GIFT OF GAB, lol. Love that video!
You're welcome, Bronxie. Glad you enjoyed that video. Kevin Pollak has always been one of my favorite comedic actors and comics.

(...oh and btw...the third and final movie connection in this case between him and Anna Paquin would be 1999's 'She's All That')
Last edited by Dargo on March 27th, 2024, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Holden, I have to agree with Hibi that from an objective viewpoint GOODBYE CHARLIE isn't that "good" if one wants to, well, lump it in with several sex comedies of the '60's that attempt to push the envelope in terms of male and female relationships, but for me (speaking subjectively of course) I find GC rather unique from the others, charming in fact thanks to many light, sweet, fey supernatural touches which offset the perhaps more "vulgar" aspects.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 3:20 pmI'll remind everyone again about GOODBYE, CHARLIE before it airs Thursday, March 28th.
Thanks, I'd forgotten the earlier reminder. My cable listing is quite different from the TCM schedule and shows This Happy Feeling (1958) as a premiere early that morning and The Rat Race (1960) and The Pleasure of His Company (1961) before and after Goodbye. Have old copies of TRR and TPoHC, so my DVR is going to be busy. :D
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

diane, don't forget about SUSAN SLEPT HERE!
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:08 pmdiane, don't forget about SUSAN SLEPT HERE!
Oh I got a good capture of Susan years ago. 👍 Just got burned out with checking schedules, recording, then capturing movies a few years ago and got busy with other stuff, so just haven't been on top of things. And hubby (the primary tube watcher) is talking about switching to streaming which would completely change my recording setup. 😧