MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo, when I moved to Los Angeles (Hollywood) from San Francisco in 1977, the rent on my one bedroom apartment was $265.00.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Agnes Moorehead pops up in WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? She and Debbie were close friends.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:21 pm Dargo, when I moved to Los Angeles (Hollywood) from San Francisco in 1977, the rent on my one bedroom apartment was $265.00.
Bronxie, maybe you know the opening of Neil Diamond's "I Am I Said":

"L.A.'s fine, the sun shines most of the time,
and the feeling is laid back.
Rents are low, and palm trees grow . . . ."

In 2024 rents are not low in L.A. or just about anywhere else in California.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

kingrat wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:45 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:21 pm Dargo, when I moved to Los Angeles (Hollywood) from San Francisco in 1977, the rent on my one bedroom apartment was $265.00.

Actually here KR and trust me. The rents in the L.A. area, and especially so in any parts of it that one would consider even half-way nice, were never all that low and even compared to what many parts of NYC's were back when Neil wrote that song in 1971.

And so, I've always felt Neil only wrote those particular lyrics of his longing to return to those Big Apple stomping grounds of his youth was because they rhymed.

(...however again, I WILL say that that whole "feeling is laid back" thing in his lyrics WAS still in effect in the L.A. of the early-'70s, but of course has not been the general public mindset of the area since, well, since I'd say the mid-'90s...well, at least that was just about the time I noticed the veracity of that old image of L.A. was sunsetting into the Santa Monica Bay, anyway)
Last edited by Dargo on March 30th, 2024, 9:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 10:40 pm Yeah, I guess GC would qualify as a guilty pleasure for me....even if I don't really think of it as such....(that would be something like BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA -- yes, it's a real movie)

I've got DIVORCE AMERICAN STYLE on, mainly because I'm waiting for WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? which follows -- it's one of my favorite Reynolds' roles and performances.

It looks like GOODBYE CHARLIE didn't make it to Watch TCM so it doesn't look like I'm going to get to see it tonight as I hoped.
Maybe I'll rent it one day if the price is right.

Bronxgirl, I also love WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? although I do feel bad for the rabbits.
If it's on Watch TCM, I'd love to share it with the sweetie and see the reaction to the ending with Shelley Winters playing the piano.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 10:09 pm
TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR -- the Tammy song always makes me cry, it's so wistful (like Moon River). I used to warble it as a young'un. Debbie is wonderful! (as always)
I always wanted to see the Gone With the Wind sequel about the miscegenation between the Hattie McDaniel and Clark Gable characters, Mammy and the Bachelor.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:03 pm Oh yeah, I forgot about Tab Hunter....interesting casting all around.

As for San Francico, unfortunately by the time I got there in the early 1970's, it was hippie-scruffy, no elegance at all. That's why I feel sad when watching VERTIGO, GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER or PAL JOEY. Heck, even 1968's YOURS, MINE AND OURS showed a city still "old-school".
Even though there are some jokes about birth control and the like, Yours, Mine, and Ours is at heart an extremely square movie, unlike a bunch of other late 60s "generation gap" movies trying to be hip and failing badly. I recently mentioned having seen Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding, which is a good example of the genre. Others I'd add would be things like Bob Hope in I'll Take Sweden or everybody in Marriage on the Rocks.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

kingrat wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:45 pm

LOL. I'm reminded of the line from the Traveltalks short Around the World in California in which James FitzPatrick informs us how Los Angeles "has a population of several thousand Mexicans...."
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

txfilmfan wrote: March 29th, 2024, 10:14 pm
Call it your guilty pleasure. Mine is Divorce American Style. It's a bit silly - their grounds for divorce seem to be that they have grown to irritate each other purposefully, apparently, and the scheme to marry people off to relieve husbands of alimony responsibilities is straight out of sitcom-land, but the scenes with all the divorced parents losing track of the various stepkids is kind of funny, and I like the hip hypnotist, Pat Collins, at the end. Reminds me of my youth watching her on TV...
To me, Divorce American Style is like all of the Norman Lear/Bud Yorkin productions in that there's an interesting idea at the heart of it, but the execution doesn't quite add up. Some of the scenes, like the "everybody does it" arguing scenes that bookend the movie, or the choreography where Dick and Debbie are trying to clear out the joint bank account, work well, but as a whole, not so much.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Fedya wrote: March 30th, 2024, 7:06 am
LOL. I'm reminded of the line from the Traveltalks short Around the World in California in which James FitzPatrick informs us how Los Angeles "has a population of several thousand Mexicans...."
Yeah but Fedya, you have to remember here that FitzPatrick says this about (and how he pronouces it in that short) "Los ANGLE-less" in the year (and how for some reason he always denotes years) "nineteen hundred AND thirty-five", and all said in that (has always been hard for me to pin-down the location of its origins) little twang of his.

;)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: March 30th, 2024, 9:32 am
Yeah but Fedya, you have to remember here that FitzPatrick says this about (and how he pronouces it in that short) "Los ANGLE-less" in the year (and how for some reason he always denotes years) "nineteen hundred AND thirty-five", and all said in that (has always been hard for me to pin-down the location of its origins) little twang of his.

;)
My grandparents (born between 1892 and 1905) all pronounced the year (especially when talking of the past) nineteen hundred and ... Or sometimes it would be nineteen and .... That's why I always associate it with old folks or being old-fashioned.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: March 30th, 2024, 12:55 pm

;)
My grandparents (born between 1892 and 1905) all pronounced the year (especially when talking of the past) nineteen hundred and ... Or sometimes it would be nineteen and .... That's why I always associate it with old folks or being old-fashioned.
Yep, Tex. And I'll bet if they ever mentioned that city out there in California that was growing by leaps and bounds during their lifetimes and where they were a'buildin' all them there freeways, they probably pronounced it just like FitzPatrick did as well, huh. ;)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: March 30th, 2024, 1:50 pm

;)
Yep, Tex. And I'll bet if they ever mentioned that city out there in California that was growing by leaps and bounds during their lifetimes and where they were a'buildin' all them there freeways, they probably pronounced it just like FitzPatrick did as well, huh. ;)
No, they pronounced it as most do today. My folks lived in Perris (outskirts of Riverside) for a time in the early 50s when my Dad was stationed at March AFB. It was a one stoplight kind of place even when they went back to revisit it in 1976. It's mushroomed, like most of Southern California now.
Had other relatives down in San Diego as well (some due to their Navy commitments) but I've only heard the "Angle" pronunciation in film or on TV.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: March 30th, 2024, 3:34 pm
Dargo wrote: March 30th, 2024, 1:50 pm

No, they pronounced it as most do today. My folks lived in Perris (outskirts of Riverside) for a time in the early 50s when my Dad was stationed at March AFB. It was a one stoplight kind of place even when they went back to revisit it in 1976. It's mushroomed, like most of Southern California now.
Had other relatives down in San Diego as well (some due to their Navy commitments) but I've only heard the "Angle" pronunciation in film or on TV.
In my case, I remember well the times some of my parent's relatives from their old stomping grounds of Indianapolis would come out to visit us in L.A. and would want us to take them to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and Hollywood back in the '50s and '60s. Frequent visitors Uncle "Slim" (who for so many years I could never understand why he was called that and due to his being quite heavy at that time...Mom would come to tell me it was because he was quite skinny when he was younger) and Aunt Gertie his wife, always pronounced it like FitzPatrick did in his 1935 short 'Los Angeles: Wonder City of the West'.

(...and of course, you can hear it pronounced in that manner in many of the film noirs that Eddie Muller presents as well...in fact, I remember hearing character actor Roy Teal saying it that way in one of Eddie's recent presentations)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Fedya wrote: March 30th, 2024, 6:57 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 10:09 pm
TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR -- the Tammy song always makes me cry, it's so wistful (like Moon River). I used to warble it as a young'un. Debbie is wonderful! (as always)
I always wanted to see the Gone With the Wind sequel about the miscegenation between the Hattie McDaniel and Clark Gable characters, Mammy and the Bachelor.

It ain't fittin', it just ain't fittin'!

LOL

Actually Rhett would have been better off with Mammy -- he did tell Scarlett that Mammy was the one person he wanted respect from. Then also, Belle Watling was in love with him and she could have "reformed" if they married.

Anybody but Scarlett!