MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Thompson

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Thompson »

LOL, that means ‘laugh out loud’ in computer lingo. Doggone it that is funny Laffite, really funny. We might not see eye to eye on some things but I’ll bet ya we could dance toe to toe to a good rock-n-roll song. You pick it and I’ll lead.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:50 pm
. . . Those adorable kids. I love kids . . . I'm no hero but if were walking down the street and saw a child threatened in some way, the bad persons would have to go through my jolly fat body to get to that child. I mean it. In the Adorable stage they are sweet and innocent . . .
I gather you won't be reading The Sweetest Taboo: An Unapologetic Guide to Child Kills in Film, eh?

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

I wasn't able to save those children. I don't think that even Rambo could.

This looks like a job for ...SUPERMAN
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: February 11th, 2023, 5:48 pm I wasn't able to save those children. I don't think that even Rambo could.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/the-m ... ith-maybe/
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Pa Kent to Clark: "Don't knock yourself out. Aquaman will save them."

Aquaman: "Yo, Supes! I got this!"
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: February 11th, 2023, 6:04 pm
laffite wrote: February 11th, 2023, 5:48 pm I wasn't able to save those children. I don't think that even Rambo could.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/the-m ... ith-maybe/
Thanks, Dargo. That needed a visual or a link but I had no time. Good one!
Mona
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thompson wrote: February 10th, 2023, 11:55 pm You should come down here for the Mardi Gras. You can stay with me as long as I get first dibs to the toilet. It’s starting now but the parades will go till 21st. I live right on the main parade route uptown. I hate a parade but some people like ‘em.
Well I used to work for the City Of New Orleans and it's my favorite City in the US. I've been in town before, during & after Mardi Gras and the best time to visit is before.
Although my last visit (since Katrina) everything looked & felt way different, especially in the Quarter-just as Disney-fied now as Times Square. The famous swinging' legs are gone, no open piano bars, no novelty shops, whaaa?

City Park looks good, though. And the "clean up" seems to have helped Armstrong Park and some of the inner City neighborhoods look a little safer than I remembered.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: February 12th, 2023, 6:29 am
Thompson wrote: February 10th, 2023, 11:55 pm You should come down here for the Mardi Gras. You can stay with me as long as I get first dibs to the toilet. It’s starting now but the parades will go till 21st. I live right on the main parade route uptown. I hate a parade but some people like ‘em.
Well I used to work for the City Of New Orleans and it's my favorite City in the US. I've been in town before, during & after Mardi Gras and the best time to visit is before.
Although my last visit (since Katrina) everything looked & felt way different, especially in the Quarter-just as Disney-fied now as Times Square. The famous swinging' legs are gone, no open piano bars, no novelty shops, whaaa?

City Park looks good, though. And the "clean up" seems to have helped Armstrong Park and some of the inner City neighborhoods look a little safer than I remembered.
A friend of mine from college is from New Orleans. When I visited her once around Halloween, I commented how hot the weather was for that time of year. Her response: "This isn't hot!" Of course, I'm from the Chicago area so from my point of reference it was quite warm for late October/early November.

Alas, there is no longer a streetcar named Desire in New Orleans. Apparently the Desire streetcar line was replaced by a bus line a few years after the Tennessee Williams play made it famous.
I did see a Desire bus when I was in New Orleans, but I didn't ride it.

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

TikiSoo wrote: February 12th, 2023, 6:29 am
Thompson wrote: February 10th, 2023, 11:55 pm You sho

Yes, very astute observation, TikiSoo. I’ve worked in the Quarter since ‘84 in decent small hotels and the independent ones don’t exist anymore. I don’t exist anymore either but that’s another story. It’s a shame really, my first hotel job included squeezing oranges to make fresh juice for the breakfast that was served on a silver tray with a rose and Always fresh delivered croissants. Your choice of coffee tea or hot chocolate (made with milk). There was no such thing as a breakfast door hanger with a menu, no, you woke up, called the front desk, said Breakfast for two, one coffee one hot chocolate, and we delivered it to the room. Fresh squeezed orange juice. Complimentary.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now if Laffite wants to sleep on the sidewalk, it’s okay by me, but if it starts raining, like it usually does during the Mardi Gras, he might want to sleep on the porch, which is okay by me, but if the wind is wrong he’ll get wet anyway. So he might as well come on in out the rain. I usually have some hard boiled eggs in the fridge we can share.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: February 12th, 2023, 1:26 pm A friend of mine from college is from New Orleans. When I visited her once around Halloween, I commented how hot the weather was for that time of year. Her response: "This isn't hot!" Of course, I'm from the Chicago area so from my point of reference it was quite warm for late October/early November.
Alas, there is no longer a streetcar named Desire in New Orleans.
Ugh I was once sent down for an emergency in April and got up at 4am to start work early, before it got too hot. 6AM sweat was pouring into my eyes, even though I was completely still, painting. It's just the swampy humidity.
Sad about the streetcar. I think I saw one of those Booze Bus shuttle vans dressed up as a trolley car last time I was there-awful.
Thompson wrote: February 13th, 2023, 1:36 am I’ve worked in the Quarter since ‘84 in decent small hotels and the independent ones don’t exist anymore.
Haha hope not The Bayou Hotel. My business partner booked us at the Bayou once and after arriving said it was aptly named, "When you awake, you never know who's "by you!"
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I’m worried about Laffite sleeping on the sidewalk during the Mardi Gras. The first thing that goes, believe it or not, is your shoes. For some reason you don’t wake up when the thief steals your shoes. Cowboy boots solve that problem. That’s why we wear them, not because we are cowboys but because they are impossible to steal off your feet when you are sleeping on the street. I’m also worried Laffite might get tossed in jail or the Mardi Gras paddy wagon for “obstructing the sidewalk,” that’s a law down here. You can smoke crack and urinate wherever you want to but you better not obstruct the sidewalk. I don’t want Laffite to get into it with the cops, they have all those tasers and stuff and there’s no telling. And, he could get run over by a bicycle or a motorcycle, or one of those skateboard dudes, they all use the sidewalk. It would be much safer if he stayed with me and slept in the chair. I found a spare blanket and we can go to Vickie’s in the morning for hot sausage Po-Boys.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: February 10th, 2023, 7:21 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 10th, 2023, 3:17 pm Thank you so much, diane, and, welcome!

lafitte, just before I sign off, I must tell you that I was not being ironic about puppets, clowns or Santa Claus! They terrify me! (well, maybe not Topo Gigio or Kukla and Ollie) As for clowns, forget it -- they are all scary as hell. And Santa (except for Edmund Gwenn playing him) always seems demonic to me.
Maybe you've been looking at too many Horror films ;)
(ducking for cover)

We yearn for your wellness, and to your return.

Thank you my friend. I am trying to, er, stay float. (yes, "going ashore" was a direct reference to DODSWORTH)

I don't know what I would do without my horror/fantasy/mystery/sci-fi movies. Speaking of which, did anyone else watch the Bowery Boys marathon yesterday? They were followed by a string of Agnes Varda films.

Now see, that entire day's line-up defines me: Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall and then the French New Wave! I embrace it all!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: February 5th, 2023, 5:38 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:36 pm Crickets at least are cute. (and have you ever noticed that Fred Astaire looked like one?)

Monsieur Roach is still on the loose.

Poor George Harvey Bone, he didn't stand a chance with Netta Longdon. I love HANGOVER SQUARE, an old favorite. George Sanders is in it for about ten minutes tops. He is also rather ill-served THE LODGER. (don't get me started on the wooden Miss Merle Oberon; I am a Linda Darnell fan through and through)

Some people consider DELIVERANCE a horror film. I think I agree.

Puppets and clowns are always frightening to me.
But ants are cuter. Not having seen a lot of Fred Astaire movies, I've never noticed that resemblance, but if so that would be one
well-dressed cricket. I'm not sure what this insect is. Thank goodness it doesn't make a continuous noise like a cricket and is kind
enough to let me sleep in peace at night.

Yes, George didn't have much to do in this one, but despite his short screen time, it looked to me like he was trying to make it
with Bone's old girlfriend. That seems to be the m.o. for these period picture police inspectors. Poor Bone. He should have realized
he didn't have a chance with Netta. But nooooo, he goes full in and just embarrasses himself.

I can see Deliverance as a horror film, sort of a southern gothic tale updated for more modern times. Don't go into the woods.
I'm neutral on puppets and clowns, but positive on Santa Claus. :smiley_santa:

Good luck with that roach. We humans have to be as persistent as they are.

Ants can be winsome although not as charming as crickets.

I was a bit confused as to "Barbara's" romantic motivations in HANGOVER SQUARE. Was she trying to get Bone to notice her as a woman and not just a friend? Of course for plot purposes we had to assume that she and Sanders would ultimately "get together".

Mr. R has not been seen by me in a few days. But he's just waiting.....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree, I enjoyed your EXECUTIVE SUITE write-up. I think this is one of Fredric March's most underrated performances.

I have ROMEO AND JULIET on in the background with "adolescents" Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer.