MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:25 pm One more note about David Janssen here...

He could, unfortunately, be tallied into the same column as actors like Errol Flynn and William Holden.

(...in that "Their alcohol problem would contribute to their quick ageing and their premature deaths" column, that is)
Also a chain smoker. I think he died of a heart attack.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:54 pm
Dargo wrote: April 8th, 2024, 3:43 pm Ya know, I never thought Connie Stevens was all that hot.

(...but I gotta admit she was lookin' pretty darn good in that clip up there, anyway)
Connie Stevens was very attractive in the 80s, based on her appearances on Murder, She Wrote at the time and her supporting role in the goofy yet charming 1987 film Back to the Beach in which Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello cheerfully spoofed their own 60s films.
Her Forever Spring skin care line made her more money than her movie career ever did. Millions. I think it's still around. (Years ago HSN sold it for a decade or so).
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo, you know me so well, lol! Actually Troy is more like a brother figure for me. But it's also because of his fish lips. Let's face it, they're blubbery, and I am a thin-lipped guy kind of girl.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:15 pm Dargo, you know me so well, lol! Actually Troy is more like a brother figure for me. But it's also because of his fish lips. Let's face it, they're blubbery, and I am a thin-lipped guy kind of girl.
You and Hot Lips Houlihan, apparently...
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Okay, sorry, but I now have one more comment to make about David Janssen. Well okay, not particularly about him, but an observation about the TV series he will forever be most associated with.

The other night while I watched an episode of 'The Fugitive' on MeTV (hadn't watched one in years) and which I was primarily prompted to watch because my Dish network's guide had shown me it was going to be about a group of outlaw bikers (led of course by a crazed Bruce Dern...who else and considering he played this sort so often back then) who hold Dr. Kimble captive.

My primary reason for watching this would be to see what kind of motorcycles these "outlaw bikers" would be riding. (avid motorcyclist here pretty much since this particular episode was first run back in 1966, as I'm sure many already know about me around here)

Well anyway (bet I'm already boring you folks here, aren't I?! LOL) I noticed that these bikers were mostly riding Triumphs and Hondas (c'mon, everybody knows that outlaw bikers ride Harleys, RIGHT?!) and also noticed that every gas tank badge or insignia on them that identified the motorcycle's brand had been taped over or covered up in some manner.

And so this got me pondering on why that was, and wondered if the manufacturers of these bikes might've pushed for this and so not to be indentified with any criminal element?

(...okay, you're all now free to go on with your other interests here...I'm sure I've bored most of ya to tears by now, and considering that the subject of "motorcycles" isn't exactly high on the general public's list of the most interesting things to discuss, huh!)

LOL
Last edited by Dargo on April 10th, 2024, 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Speaking of lips, I'm going to smack mine tonight as I chow down on a satisfying Italian feast while watching THE GODFATHER (for the upteenth time), followed by THE FRESHMAN.

My meal of course will be on the advice of Sollozzo -- "Try the veal, it's the best in the city"

Michael and I will be the only ones finishing this dish.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:29 pm Speaking of lips, I'm going to smack mine tonight as I chow down on a satisfying Italian feast while watching THE GODFATHER (for the upteenth time), followed by THE FRESHMAN.

My meal of course will be on the advice of Sollozzo -- "Try the veal, it's the best in the city"

I think it was a pretty inspired touch for TCM to air The Godfather (their first airing of it in 18 years) and then follow it with Marlon Brando's wonderful send-up of his own earlier performance.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo, you are free here to discuss motorcyles all you want!

This mode of transportation is actually an integral form of transportation in many a movie. Even Andy Hardy. (he has a man-to-man talk with Lewis Stone about owning one if I remember correctly)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:31 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:29 pm Speaking of lips, I'm going to smack mine tonight as I chow down on a satisfying Italian feast while watching THE GODFATHER (for the upteenth time), followed by THE FRESHMAN.

I think it was a pretty inspired touch for TCM to air The Godfather (their first airing of it in 18 years) and then follow it with Marlon Brando's wonderful send-up of his own earlier performance.
I think so too! Occasionally the station surprises and delights us with an unexpected sense of humor.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:34 pm Dargo, you are free here to discuss motorcyles all you want!

This mode of transportation is actually an integral form of transportation in many a movie. Even Andy Hardy. (he has a man-to-man talk with Lewis Stone about owning one if I remember correctly)
Thanks, Bronxie! Appreciate your encouragement here.

Maybe I will at some future date.

(...but and FWIW and speaking of Mickey Rooney riding motorcycles...I remember him riding an old Harley in some movie made in the early-'50s and where he plays a WWII vet who opens up a gas station...can't remember the title of this film, though)
Last edited by Dargo on April 10th, 2024, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Dargo wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:27 pm Okay, sorry, but I now have one more comment to make about David Janssen. Well okay, not particularly about him, but an observation about the TV series he will forever be most associated with.

I noticed that these bikers were mostly riding Triumphs and Hondas (c'mon, everybody knows that outlaw bikers ride Harleys, RIGHT?!) and also noticed that every gas tank badge or insignia on them that identified the motorcycle's brand had been taped over or covered up in some manner.

And so this got me pondering on why that was, and wondered if the manufacturers of these bikes might've pushed for this and so not to be indentified with any criminal element?
It's likely more the case that the producers & network didn't want to provide any free advertising. Brands were almost always covered up or hidden, or sometimes, entirely fictional, back then. It's still done for modern shows. No free product placement is Hollywood's mantra...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:15 pm Dargo, you know me so well, lol! Actually Troy is more like a brother figure for me. But it's also because of his fish lips. Let's face it, they're blubbery, and I am a thin-lipped guy kind of girl.
I like big lips! Sensual.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Something in my opinion that makes THE GODFATHER one of the greatest if not arguably the greatest American movie is the brief scene during the baptism crossfire -- of Clemenza in his underwear on his back in bed -- the extraordinary cinematography transforms this grubby gangster into the subject of a tawny Renaissance painting.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Hibi wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:44 pm
Diana Dors had luscious lips

kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: April 10th, 2024, 5:14 pm
Hibi wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:44 pm
Diana Dors had luscious lips

I love the scene in A Kid for Two Farthings when Diana has dyed her hair from black to blonde, finally tells her clueless boyfriend what she's done, and he says, "I knew something was different."