MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
laffite

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by laffite »

MissWonderly wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:09 pm Abrupt change of topic, sorry: Anyone here like Rice Krispies? I just finished a bowl of them, with some banana slices. I hadn't had Rice Krispies in ages, I'd forgotten they're pretty good.
Did you enjoy the soundtrack? Snap, crackle, and pop? If not, your experience may have bee severely diminished. :)

I can only have small amounts of cereals. Do they still have Grape Nuts? Loved to pour the milk and let set for a minute or two. The only cereal under the sun that you can do that.

There is a KEDEM sweet biscuit that I measure out, put them a Zip-Lock bag and squish them into little pieces, pour milk on them, and eat like a cereal. Pretty, pretty, pretty, Good.
"Attend the Dukes of France and Burgundy, Gloucester"
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I grew up with cold cereal. Cereal and toast. That’s what Mom served. It was a real epiphany to discover poached eggs on toast. Never ate cold cereal again. Did fool with over easy, scrambled, sunny side up but always came back to poached on toast.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Thompson wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:55 am

Yes, I quite liked this film too!
Yeah, all the time they were trying to make Freddie look like the bad guy when he was the only one with his
head on straight. Okay, you might not want to accompany him on a three martini "working lunch," but he gets
the job done and keeps things in the black. Holden down there in the factory parking lot glad handing the
employees and trying to be one of the guys? Heck, he's just there to stop an organizing drive by the United
Brotherhood of Furniture Workers and Glue Drippers.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: February 7th, 2023, 11:16 am

According to the credits on Wiki: Barbara Stanwyck as Julia O. Tredway, daughter and heir of Tredway's founder, and Bullard's mistress
Oops, my mistake. Whatever the relationship, keep her out of the boardroom. At the finale she starts looking at
pretty boy Holden and you know she's going to go along with whatever crackpot ideas he comes up with. I also
made an error in regard to Louis Calhern's character. That sweet young thing he's with was actually his wife, not his
girlfriend. Boy is she going to have a major hissy fit when she finds out Louie is broke. I'll think he'll brazen it out and
not end up like Uncle Lon in The Asphalt Jungle. I always enjoy Calhern with his cig giving off a thin trail of
smoke outlined against his giant honker while he talks in distinguished tones about his latest scam.
Andree

Post by Andree »

When I was a teenager my mom would often fix a bowl of one of those cream of wheat type hot cereals, which I didn't like.
After she went back upstairs to get ready for a hard day of soap opera watching, I would often scrape it into a paper bag
and throw it out. Being a chocoholic I eat one of those chocolate cereals as a kid. Now I have Cheerios two or three times
a week. No bananas, no sugar, milk in a separate glass.
Last edited by Andree on February 7th, 2023, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Well, I see that MissWonderly has called The Breakfast Club to order.
laffite wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:54 pm Do they still have Grape Nuts? Loved to pour the milk and let set for a minute or two. The only cereal under the sun that you can do that.
Au contraire! There other cereals whose taste improves when soggy . . . IMO. Rice Krispies is one of them. Rice Chex and Corn Chex are two more. And yes, Grape-Nuts are still around.
laffite wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:54 pm
There is a KEDEM sweet biscuit that I measure out, put them a Zip-Lock bag and squish them into little pieces, pour milk on them, and eat like a cereal. Pretty, pretty, pretty, Good.
You mean Kedem Tea Biscuits, yes?

There was a breakfast cereal discussion on the TCM Message Boards last year. I'll repeat my eternal craving and undying yearning for Alpha-Bits. Since Post retired it, life just hasn't been the same.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

Andree wrote: February 7th, 2023, 4:50 pm When I was a teenager my mom would often fix a bowl of one of those cream of wheat type hot cereals, which I didn't like.
After she went back upstairs to get ready for a hard day of soap opera watching, I would often scrape it into a paper bag
and throw it out. Being a chocoholic I eat one of those chocolate cereals as a kid. Now I have Cheerios two or three times
a week. No bananas, no sugar, milk in a separate glass.
Flashback : As a boy of about seven, I thought it was hilarious when I scraped some unwanted cottage cheese into a garbage receptacle. i was giggling like a damn fool when my father walked in. Corporeal punishment, cruel even. If I was supposed to have learned a lesson out of that, it didn't take. Unless it was to hate my father even more. Not that I don't throw food out once in a while but I did not develop some creepy aversion or the desire to go out and kill people in my sleep.
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: February 7th, 2023, 5:02 pm Well, I see that MissWonderly has called The Breakfast Club to order.
laffite wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:54 pm Do they still have Grape Nuts? Loved to pour the milk and let set for a minute or two. The only cereal under the sun that you can do that.
Au contraire! There other cereals whose taste improves when soggy . . . IMO. Rice Krispies is one of them. Rice Chex and Corn Chex are two more. And yes, Grape-Nuts are still around.
You mean Kedem Tea Biscuits, yes?

There was a breakfast cereal discussion on the TCM Message Boards last year. I'll repeat my eternal craving and undying yearning for Alpha-Bits. Since Post retired it, life just hasn't been the same.

Dem is it ! (as in Ke~~~) My favorite is the Whole Wheat. With tea yes, but I also with low carb shakes. The biscuits are crisp, not too sweet (as tea biscuits are not meant to be.)

When Alpha-bits bit the dust, why not attack Cheerios for your grief. Cheerios were certainly King of Oats and you didn't see them fold. Coke was created, Pepsi simply existed. Cheerios were created, Alpha-Bits existed. Cheerios are the "Real Thing."

Au contraire none of those other cereals you mentioned had quite the staying power of Grape Nuts. Even if the the sogginess were of equal value, GN would be edible, the other worthy of the bin. Sogginess in Cereal is the worst catastrophe in Cerealdom.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a cursor that is black. I can't see my cursor any more, or difficult. I swirl it around and around and it takes awhile to catch it. I am virtually blind in one eye but the other one is good. I thought I would mention it and now is a good time since I'm answering here one of our premier encyclopedic minds.
Last edited by laffite on February 11th, 2023, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Man, I shacked up with a girl who ate a bowl of Grape Nuts every single morning. I could never figure out why anybody would ever want to eat rocks for breakfast.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

Thompson wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:46 pm What kind of milk? Certainly you had milk or the whole idea won’t work. What about sugar, did you top the bananas off with a little sugar?
Although I have a "sweet tooth" as they used to refer to people who like sweet food ( doughnuts ! cheesecake ! chocolate covered almonds ! Bailey's Irish Cream !), I never add sugar to cereal. Doesn't seem to need it, IMO. Of course I did add milk. I hate to be boring, but it was virtuous low-fat 1%. Is that what Americans call 1% milk? I never use skim milk, that's too virtuous.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a cursor that is black. I can't see my cursor any more, or difficult. I swirl it around and around and it takes awhile to catch it. I am virtually blind in one eye but the other one is good. I thought I would mention it and now is a good time since I'm answering here one of our premier encyclopedic minds.
You should be able to change both the size and color of your mouse pointer. If you're running Windows, search for "Ease of Access" and then look for "Vision" You'll see options for adjusting the Display, Mouse pointer, etc. You might want to consider High Contrast settings as well.

My mom had MD and was legally blind the last 7 or 8 years of her life. She found high contrast helped her the most. When we e-mailed her, we'd use 16pt or 20pt fonts, black text on a yellow background. This was the easiest for her to read.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

MissWonderly wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:09 pm Abrupt change of topic, sorry: Anyone here like Rice Krispies? I just finished a bowl of them, with some banana slices. I hadn't had Rice Krispies in ages, I'd forgotten they're pretty good.
Did you enjoy the soundtrack? Snap, crackle, and pop? If not, your experience may have bee severely diminished. :)

I can only have small amounts of cereals. Do they still have Grape Nuts? Loved to pour the milk and let set for a minute or two. The only cereal under the sun that you can do that.

I do like the snap crackle pop sound of Rice Krispies, so no diminishment there. I don't know if Grape Nuts are still around, but I certainly remember them. Not bad.
Never heard of Kedem biscuits, maybe they're not available in Canada. The way you describe them reminds me of this cereal back when I was a kid, called "Muffets". Big rolls of whole wheat cereal, looked like hay bales. Very healthy, supposedly. You were supposed to soak them in hot milk for a minute or so before eating .
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

But then I remembered the novels of Samuel Beckett (two t’s) His main character didn’t eat rocks but sucked on them all time. He had several rocks in his pocket and would trade them out to suck on a fresh one. I can’t think of the character‘s name and if I close this site to look up the fellow’s name I might never make it back.
Last edited by Thompson on February 7th, 2023, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:57 pm Man, I shacked up with a girl who ate a bowl of Grape Nuts every single morning. I could never figure out why anybody would ever want to eat rocks for breakfast.
Haven't you been paying attention. I don't think you read my post. Ya gotta soak'm a l'il bit. Formally rocks, they have become a conglomeration of stuck together rocks and soft as to fit to eat. Try it, you'll like it.
laffite

Post by laffite »

MissWonderly wrote: February 7th, 2023, 7:12 pm

I do like the snap crackle pop sound of Rice Krispies, so no diminishment there. I don't know if Grape Nuts are still around, but I certainly remember them. Not bad.
Never heard of Kedem biscuits, maybe they're not available in Canada. The way you describe them reminds me of this cereal back when I was a kid, called "Muffets". Big rolls of whole wheat cereal, looked like hay bales. Very healthy, supposedly. You were supposed to soak them in hot milk for a minute or so before eating .
You can order Kedem Tea Biscuits online. Or check you local market. One doesn't need find a specialty store, although a Jewish would be useful They com 10 to a shipment. I don't know what the situation is in Canada along these lines. They are certainly worth a try.

Those 'Muffets" of yours sounds a lot like what we call "Shredded Wheat." A classic fave, been around ever since I was a kid and before. Now that's staying power.