Oscar Nominations

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CinemaInternational

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by CinemaInternational »

Feinberg wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:29 am There is a lot of Macauly Culkin Home Alone acting in Everything Everywhere all at Once. Stare directly at the camera, open your mouth and scream ... "whaaaa!!!!"
I expect it to sweep the awards.
Hmm. I would rather watch Home Alone again that have to sit though Everyone Everywhere All at Once again. Honestly, despite really disliking some films nominated for Best Picture in recent years, this one is the first one that has ever left me wondering afterwards what it is that its fans see in it. I admit to thinking that Yeoh and Quan did as a good a job as possible under the circumstances, but when you get down to it, it is a film that is a reckless jumble of in-your-face visuals with very little to actually say. But its looking as though it is going to carry off Best Picture, Actress, Supporting Actor, Directing, and Script. And if Jaime Lee Curtis pulls it off in the tight supporting actress race, this baffling film will be the first film to win three acting Oscars since Network (1976). It depresses me quite a bit.

Just out of curiosity, if you could decide who would win from the nominees tonight, what and who would you pick?
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Just out of curiosity, if you could decide who would win from the nominees tonight, what and who would you pick?
[/quote]

My personnal choices in their respective category: Blanchett,Farrel tied with Fraser but I prefer Farrell_less make up,Kerry Condon,All Quiet winning in BOTH categories,Mcdonaugh as director but I have no preferences on this spot same for support actor Hirsch is my long shot choice.

I will not list my predictions on what the Academy will choose but I have a good idea most of the time every year.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I would love to see Andrea Riseborough win Best Actress and not because of her performance.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I've decided to not bother with watching it this year. I just can't muster the enthusiasm for it.
Watching until the end.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

LawrenceA wrote: March 12th, 2023, 4:49 pm I've decided to not bother with watching it this year. I just can't muster the enthusiasm for it.
Agree with you,will record and watch the highlights.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

The Oscars hit the play, pause, and repeat buttons plenty of times tonight. Everything Everywhere All at Once won all 6 of the above-the-line categories it was eligible in plus an editing win, and All Quiet on the Western Front did very well in the technical categories, while The Whale took two of its three nominations. Production company A24 took all but one of the above-the line categories (Adapted Screenplay, which went to Orion's Women Talking) Best Picture nominees Tàr, The Fabelmans, Triangle of Sadness, Elvis, and The Banshees of Inisherin won nothing and went home empty-handed.

Winners ...

Picture: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Actor: Brendan Fraser/The Whale
Actress: Michelle Yeoh/ Everything Everywhere All at Once
Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan/ Everything Everywhere All at Once
Supporting Actress: Jamie Lee Curtis/ Everything Everywhere All at Once
Directing: Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert/ Everything Everywhere All at Once
Original Screenplay: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Adapted Screenplay: Women Talking
International (Foreign-Language) Feature Film: All Quiet on the Western Front (Germany)
Animated Feature: Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio
Documentary: Navalny
Cinematography: All Quiet on the Western Front
Production Design: All Quiet on the Western Front
Costume Design: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Editing: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Score: All Quiet on the Western Front
Song: "Naanu Naanu"/RRR
Visual Effects: Avatar: The Way of Water
Makeup and Hair: The Whale
Sound: Top Gun: Maverick
Animated Short: The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and The Horse
Live-Action Short: An Irish Goodbye
Documentary Short: The Elephant Whisperers
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 12th, 2023, 12:52 pm
Of the nominees ...
Picture: All Quiet on the Western Front
Actor: Brendan Fraser, The Whale
Actress: Cate Blanchett, Tar
Supporting Actor: Bryan Tyree Henry, Causeway
(non nominee choice) Mak Pui Tung, The Sparring Partner
Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin

Other than Jamie Lee Curtis, the actors from Everywhere Everything All at Once did not make it into my top 10 choices.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Sepiatone wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:25 am Due to me not seeing any of the movies that may have been nominated or any of the people in those movies that may have been nominated I'll be looking at something else tonight.
A sister in law of mine though, and who hates Jimmy Kimmel with a passion said she'd watch if it was guaranteed that someone would walk up on the stage and slap the snot out of Jimmy Kimmel .

Your sister-in-law could probably benefit from professional counseling.
Many counselors offer family rates.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Everything Everywhere All at Once had its moments but it was too long, with many repetitive scenes. The performance that touched me the most was Kerry Condon's in the Banshees of Inisherin. Would have liked if she had won.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

Feinberg wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:29 am There is a lot of Macauly Culkin Home Alone acting in Everything Everywhere all at Once. Stare directly at the camera, open your mouth and scream ... "whaaaa!!!!"
I expect it to sweep the awards.
Hmm. I would rather watch Home Alone again that have to sit though Everyone Everywhere All at Once again. Honestly, despite really disliking some films nominated for Best Picture in recent years, this one is the first one that has ever left me wondering afterwards what it is that its fans see in it. I admit to thinking that Yeoh and Quan did as a good a job as possible under the circumstances, but when you get down to it, it is a film that is a reckless jumble of in-your-face visuals with very little to actually say. But its looking as though it is going to carry off Best Picture, Actress, Supporting Actor, Directing, and Script. And if Jaime Lee Curtis pulls it off in the tight supporting actress race, this baffling film will be the first film to win three acting Oscars since Network (1976). It depresses me quite a bit.

CinemaInternational, I couldn't agree with you more. I found watching "Everything Everywhere All at Once" to be an exhausting experience. Although I did appreciate the family story aspect of it- the mother and father ( "Evelyn" and "Waymond") and daughter ("Joy") trying to work out how to become a caring and functional family unit -- it took the film 2 and a half hours to get there, and there was far too much zipping and zapping along the way. I do get that that was the point: Evelyn was constantly "zapping" from one universe to another - but it felt a bit gimmicky and IMO was certainly overdone.

I also tired of all the martial arts-on-steroids type fighting. For me, a little of this goes a long way.
I thought it was ironic that the film won for Best Original Screenplay, since a lot of the time it felt as though they were all making it up as they went along.
Last edited by MissWonderly on March 13th, 2023, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

skimpole wrote: March 12th, 2023, 5:29 pm

I haven't seen all of the nominees, but if Tar won the awards it was nominated for, I wouldn't be upset.
Agreed, "Tar" is a great film. But I suspect it demands too much close attention from the audience, it's too cerebral, to be a popular choice.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

MissWonderly wrote: March 13th, 2023, 5:36 pm
skimpole wrote: March 12th, 2023, 5:29 pm

I haven't seen all of the nominees, but if Tar won the awards it was nominated for, I wouldn't be upset.
Agreed, "Tar" is a great film. But I suspect it demands too much close attention from the audience, it's too cerebral, to be a popular choice.
I love films like that. Exposition is one of my favorite aspects of a movie. Probably why I like Woody Allen movies so much - well, one reason anyway.