Oscar Nominations

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CinemaInternational

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:34 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:22 am
CinemaInternational wrote: January 30th, 2023, 7:15 pm

It's getting many people up in arms, that's for sure. A lot of people feel that it was a rigged nomination
The studios that spent thousands of dollars on "for your consideration" campaigns and didn't get a nomination are upset that a performance in a movie from a studio that had no budget to mount a campaign succeeded in getting a nomination based on members being asked informally (through social media and other ways) to watch a movie and judge if Andrea Riseborough's performance merited a nomination.

This is an example of a nomination truly based on merit.

If the Academy rescinds Andrea Riseborough's nomination, the Oscars are truly a sham.
Yes, this could start a trend and put the money people behind all the Oscar campaigning out of business! LOL. I'm sure that's what's behind all this. If this upstart could sneak in........:D

For me, the big surprise was Ana de Armas making the cut for that reviled Blonde movie.
De Armas had been up for all the precursors for her performance in the film, but given how vitriolic the response was to the film, I am still surprised that she landed a nomination. It is arguably the most controversial film nominated in a major category since The Last Temptation of Christ in 1988.
CinemaInternational

Risebourough is keeping her nomination and no charges are going to be filed against anyone involved with her or her film

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... sHw6DuYOAM
CinemaInternational

LawrenceA wrote: January 31st, 2023, 4:09 pm What an awful, nothing interview.

He keeps bringing up that "no one saw this movie."

Aren't Academy members sent screeners/streaming codes? The box office take has nothing to do with that.

And then he brings up the race of the people they chose to mention that "campaigned" for her. Ugh.

Also, I've seen several articles taking about the "racist" Best Actress category, and they put Ana De Armas in with the "white people". Are Latin people no longer POC (she's Cuban)? Does POC only refer to black or Asian?
Didn't see the video, but quite frankly, it is parroting the line I have seen across other film websites since last week. It seems people on these websites were convinced that one of the two actresses (Davis, Deadwyler) was almost certain to be nominated, or even both, and when they weren't they started the cry of calling the academy racist and pinned most of it on Risebourough for coming into the scene last minute. (But what is to say that 6th place wasn't olivia Colman or Emma Thompson?)

I did see a partial list of those who put up messages on Twitter who supported Risebourough's performance. There were some heavy hitters there (Jane Fonda, Debra Winger), but also a lot of people that I highly doubt are actual academy members (Kelly Ripa, Marcia Cross, Daphne Zuniga). So obviously, not just movie people had seen the film.

The academy is sent streaming copies, but To Leslie was helped by several private screenings, such as one held by Gweneth Paltrow.

As for De Armas, I have seen the whole race thing spill out there with some calling her white, others as Hispanic. It's pretty bewildering.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

DOUBLE POST
Last edited by Hibi on January 31st, 2023, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LawrenceA wrote: January 31st, 2023, 4:09 pm What an awful, nothing interview.

Aren't Academy members sent screeners/streaming codes? The box office take has nothing to do with that.

And then he brings up the race of the people they chose to mention that "campaigned" for her. Ugh.

Also, I've seen several articles taking about the "racist" Best Actress category, and they put Ana De Armas in with the "white people". Are Latin people no longer POC (she's Cuban)? Does POC only refer to black or Asian?

I know. LOL. It was also available on a download online somewhere. Anyone blogging online can call themselves an "entertainment journalist" now. Just because few people saw the film in theaters doesn't mean Academy voters didn't see it. BIG difference!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 31st, 2023, 4:26 pm Risebourough is keeping her nomination and no charges are going to be filed against anyone involved with her or her film

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... sHw6DuYOAM

LOL! I wasn't worried.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Sometimes I think the acting categories should be expanded like they did with Best Picture as there are always deserving people left out. But "blaming" one nominee for excluding others is silly and unproveable. Who's to say Riseborough didn't rank higher than fifth?
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

:x
LawrenceA wrote: January 31st, 2023, 4:09 pm

Yes, I find his "no one saw it" refrain extremely annoying.

This is probably a rare case where enough Academy members who were involved in the nominating actually did see the performance and nominated Andrea Riseborough after watching it, rather than nominating someone they felt they "should" or someone they like (even if they haven't seen the movie).
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I think it would be a joke on everyone if Riseborough wins!
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

The academy is sent streaming copies, but To Leslie was helped by several private screenings, such as one held by Gweneth Paltrow.

[/quote]

The major films in competition offer private screenings every week. Many of them have beer and wine and food. So, for so called critics to point a finger at To Leslie for even attempting to compete on that level with the big hitters is disingenuous.
Screeners, online streaming and private screenings is supposed to be a way of helping some of the smaller films compete against the big box office films. My complaint is that even with this voters are generally unimaginative.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:09 pm I think it would be a joke on everyone if Riseborough wins!
I would love it! What an upset! There could be a backlash vote to all of this that might help her. LOL.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 31st, 2023, 4:25 pm
Hibi wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:34 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:22 am

The studios that spent thousands of dollars on "for your consideration" campaigns and didn't get a nomination are upset that a performance in a movie from a studio that had no budget to mount a campaign succeeded in getting a nomination based on members being asked informally (through social media and other ways) to watch a movie and judge if Andrea Riseborough's performance merited a nomination.

This is an example of a nomination truly based on merit.

If the Academy rescinds Andrea Riseborough's nomination, the Oscars are truly a sham.
Yes, this could start a trend and put the money people behind all the Oscar campaigning out of business! LOL. I'm sure that's what's behind all this. If this upstart could sneak in........:D

For me, the big surprise was Ana de Armas making the cut for that reviled Blonde movie.
De Armas had been up for all the precursors for her performance in the film, but given how vitriolic the response was to the film, I am still surprised that she landed a nomination. It is arguably the most controversial film nominated in a major category since The Last Temptation of Christ in 1988.
I read a few articles saying the same thing. In essence, the de Armas nomination in some way validates Blonde.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

It's Oscar night and I always try to see all the nominees in at least one category. This year it's Best Actor, the nominees are-

Austin Butler in Elvis
Colin Farrell in The Banshees Of Inisherin
Brendan Fraser in The Whale
Paul Mescal in Aftersun
Bill Nighy in Living

I don't make predictions, but I like to say who I think deserves it. Farrell is my favorite here, it was an unusual character of a guy bewildered by the behavior of someone he considered a good friend. Nighy is my second favorite, it was a touching performance of stiff upper lip Britisher faced with his own mortality, I was glad to see him with a nomination since I noticed him many times in other films and always found him giving an excellent performance.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Due to me not seeing any of the movies that may have been nominated or any of the people in those movies that may have been nominated I'll be looking at something else tonight.
A sister in law of mine though, and who hates Jimmy Kimmel with a passion said she'd watch if it was guaranteed that someone would walk up on the stage and slap the snot out of Jimmy Kimmel . :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Sepiatone
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

There is a lot of Macauly Culkin Home Alone acting in Everything Everywhere all at Once. Stare directly at the camera, open your mouth and scream ... "whaaaa!!!!"
I expect it to sweep the awards.