Oscar Nominations

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Arsan444

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by Arsan444 »

I liked The Banshees of Inisherin very much. I think director Martin McDonagh did a good job, the story is interesting, and the cast gave excellent performances. After I saw it I found up a copy of In Bruges and saw it again.
I am curious but not in a hurry to see Everything Everywhere All At Once; it looks interesting, but, from the previews that I've watched, the superhero scenes of the movie are something I'm not interested in. And I wasn't very impressed by Swiss Army Man.
When in doubt, have another one.
drednm

Post by drednm »

They lost me years ago.....
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

skimpole wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:03 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:38 am assorted notes:

For the first time, we have a Nobel Prize winner as an Oscar nominee: Kazuo Ishiguro for writing the script to Living.
Actually George Bernard Shaw not only was nominated for Pygmalion, he even won the award.
Forgot about that one.
CinemaInternational

Also, Feinberg brought up the diversity push, and the people who get angry over omissions are running rampant over the Best Actress category, and the Sally Kirkland like nomination of Andrea Risebourough. I will admit being surprised that Viola Davis missed to Ana De Armas in a much despised film, but Danielle Deadwyler playing Emmett Till's mother was struck with a company very maladroit when it comes to getting nominated (their other film this year had two nods, but was expected to get six or seven as late aslast month)
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 25th, 2023, 1:01 am Also, Feinberg brought up the diversity push, and the people who get angry over omissions are running rampant over the Best Actress category, and the Sally Kirkland like nomination of Andrea Risebourough. I will admit being surprised that Viola Davis missed to Ana De Armas in a much despised film, but Danielle Deadwyler playing Emmett Till's mother was struck with a company very maladroit when it comes to getting nominated (their other film this year had two nods, but was expected to get six or seven as late aslast month)
Though Viola Davis is a very good actress, let's face it, The Woman King was just plain silly moviemaking. I've got nothing against filmmakers trying to be more diverse and give black people different stories. African Americans must have gotten tired of playing either servants or slaves in historical dramas a long time ago. I think there has been a significant uptick in good parts for people of colour in a lot of parts this year but The Woman King, like Black Panther is just more comic book moviemaking IMO. These 'proud' Black Women are hardly real. That's okay but hardly worthy of acting awards IMO. Till on the other hand was okay and I thought Deadwyler was good but a touch flat in her performance. Stoic with sudden outburst of incredible screaming. So, in other words a bit cliched.
Bryan Tyree Henry is thoroughly worthy of his nomination.
On the subject of diversity, I've seen four historical British dramas this year of the Jane Austin type that just throw accuracy to the wind and have black, Indian and Asian people playing Lords and Ladies alongside the white actors. Lots of interracial marriages too. You can make the argument that historical accuracy is important but again actors of colour must get very tired of that. We've seen black people take all sorts of roles on the Shakespearian stage that were meant to be played by white actors for some time now and no one has a problem.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

The biggest Oscar joke of all has to be Top Gun: Maverick's nomination for Best Screenplay. It has the most inane dialogue I have heard in a long-time.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Feinberg wrote: January 25th, 2023, 8:24 am The biggest Oscar joke of all has to be Top Gun: Maverick's nomination for Best Screenplay. It has the most inane dialogue I have heard in a long-time.
I was listening to the Good Morning America chat before the Oscar announcement, which took place as part of their show. They seem to think of Oscar nominations as a reward for popularity, rather than excellence. That seems to be the trend these days, unfortunately.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: January 25th, 2023, 12:58 am
LawrenceA wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:50 pm
Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:25 pm I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is My Year of Dicks about???
It's a woman's recollections about the year she decided she wanted to lose her virginity, and the awkward, fumbling failures of her quest. It's played for laughs, using multiple art styles. It has a very film-school/art-school hipster vibe. I liked it okay, and thought it was better than the other animated shorts I saw, but I doubt it has a shot at winning.
Oh. I suppose it was too much to hope that it was a re-creation of the year someone spent in the baths of Amsterdam.

LMREO!!!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:25 pm I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is My Year of Dicks about???
It's a woman's recollections about the year she decided she wanted to lose her virginity, and the awkward, fumbling failures of her quest. It's played for laughs, using multiple art styles. It has a very film-school/art-school hipster vibe. I liked it okay, and thought it was better than the other animated shorts I saw, but I doubt it has a shot at winning.

LMREO!!!!!!!!!! Are you serious??? I bet there was some laughter when that nomination was announced.

"A young woman's erotic journey from Milan to Minsk!" (Rochelle, Rochelle)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: January 25th, 2023, 8:33 am
Feinberg wrote: January 25th, 2023, 8:24 am The biggest Oscar joke of all has to be Top Gun: Maverick's nomination for Best Screenplay. It has the most inane dialogue I have heard in a long-time.
I was listening to the Good Morning America chat before the Oscar announcement, which took place as part of their show. They seem to think of Oscar nominations as a reward for popularity, rather than excellence. That seems to be the trend these days, unfortunately.
That's always their take on it. I cant stand the network "news" shows. I never watch them. (The big 3 anyway).
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Feinberg wrote: January 25th, 2023, 3:51 am
Though Viola Davis is a very good actress, let's face it, The Woman King was just plain silly moviemaking. I've got nothing against filmmakers trying to be more diverse and give black people different stories. African Americans must have gotten tired of playing either servants or slaves in historical dramas a long time ago. I think there has been a significant uptick in good parts for people of colour in a lot of parts this year but The Woman King, like Black Panther is just more comic book moviemaking IMO. These 'proud' Black Women are hardly real. That's okay but hardly worthy of acting awards IMO. Till on the other hand was okay and I thought Deadwyler was good but a touch flat in her performance. Stoic with sudden outburst of incredible screaming. So, in other words a bit cliched.
Bryan Tyree Henry is thoroughly worthy of his nomination.
On the subject of diversity, I've seen four historical British dramas this year of the Jane Austin type that just throw accuracy to the wind and have black, Indian and Asian people playing Lords and Ladies alongside the white actors. Lots of interracial marriages too. You can make the argument that historical accuracy is important but again actors of colour must get very tired of that. We've seen black people take all sorts of roles on the Shakespearian stage that were meant to be played by white actors for some time now and no one has a problem.
I pretty much felt the same about Till - admirable, important historical story told in a flat, pedestrian way, and Deadwyler's performance was cliched for this sort of thing.

However, I enjoyed The Woman King more than you and many critics did. I thought the performances were good, and the movie was entertaining, with a bit more historical and moral nuance than I was originally led to believe. That being said, to me it more resembled one of the late-50s/early-60s historical action-adventure films than a "serious" historical drama. It was like a peplum film only with the setting, gender and race swapped. Also the central story "twist", with the mother/daughter dynamic, was ridiculous in that studio-era film sort of way. And I was fine with that.

And I thought Viola Davis was much better in that than Ana De Armas was in Blonde with the latter's Cuban accent sneaking in during her Monroe impersonation often coming across as a bad SNL skit.
Watching until the end.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I just finished To Leslie. It's one of those grimy-lowlife-hits-rock-bottom-but-can-they-find-redemption indie flicks. Addiction is a common topic for Award Winning, and this fits right into the mold, with Andrea Riseborough, already a mercurial character actress, thoroughly deglamorized, appearing gaunt and haggard as an alcoholic on her last legs. There's a lot of capital-A "Acting!!!", but she's good in the quieter moments.
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:34 am

LMREO!!!!!!!!!! Are you serious??? I bet there was some laughter when that nomination was announced.

"A young woman's erotic journey from Milan to Minsk!" (Rochelle, Rochelle)
There was. And there was more when the short after it was called "An Ostrich Told Me the World Was Fake and I Think I Believe it"

here's the proof:
Go for 7:23 in the video.