Oscar Nominations

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:27 pm
LawrenceA wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:22 pm
Swithin wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:13 pm I'm curious to see Everything Everywhere All at Once, because I don't know anyone who has liked it, and a few friends have actually hated it!
It's very hyper, and loud, and long, and sentimental, and, for me, a lot less clever than it thinks it is. It's also very silly, maybe the silliest Best Picture candidate that I can recall that isn't considered a comedy.

I was very underwhelmed by it, and on paper it sounds like something that would be right up my alley.
I am still trying to wrap my head about the fact that it will likely win Best Picture. I do not get the appeal at all.

Yes, it seems that way. I'm still hoping something else will win.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

skimpole wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:00 pm
Maybe women liked it because it showed an actress who just turned 60 can lead a very successful movie. And if there were actual women in this thread that would be clearer.
There's at least one woman in this thread (Hibi - don't let the avatar fool you). But she admittedly hasn't seen the film.

I can also see where the theme of mothers and daughters would resonate more with women, despite the film residing within a typically-male targeted genre piece (science fiction/fantasy, with heavy action film and martial arts elements).
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

drednm wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:50 am Overall reaction: bleh
My sentiments (almost) exactly.

Meh.

I don't watch and don't care about The Oscars (or any awards show).
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

EP Millstone wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:41 pm

Meh.

Thank you both for adding so much to the conversation.
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:45 pm Thank you both for adding so much to the conversation.
You're welcome.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled prattle about The Academy Awards.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LawrenceA wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:45 pm
EP Millstone wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:41 pm

Meh.

Thank you both for adding so much to the conversation.

LOL!!!
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:15 pm Orion Pictures still exists???
That was my first thought too.
sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

Swithin wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:13 pm I'm curious to see Everything Everywhere All at Once, because I don't know anyone who has liked it, and a few friends have actually hated it!

I saw the film back in early June when there was not much buzz surrounding it yet. There were only a handful of others in theater that midday, and it was close to 100º outside, and no summer blockbusters to compete with.
I enjoyed a lot of the film, but parts with primarily special effects began to tire me out and I found myself dozing off.
I liked all the performances, especially Stephanie Hsu as Joy and Jobu.
I loved the rock scene with Hsu and Yeoh.
Best picture, though? I dunno...
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

LawrenceA wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:22 pm
It's very hyper, and loud, and long, and sentimental, and, for me, a lot less clever than it thinks it is. It's also very silly, maybe the silliest Best Picture candidate that I can recall that isn't considered a comedy.

I was very underwhelmed by it, and on paper it sounds like something that would be right up my alley.
I didn't care for it at all either. And the Acting nominations just reinforce the dumbing down of the entire Academy membership. There is a lot stunned, confused and whacky acting befitting of a rather silly movie. It's not Chekhov. But Jamie Lee Curtis' broad character was fun and the only good thing about the picture for me.
Bill Nighy's nomination was nice but hardly deserving IMO. Maybe the American audiences are not as over exposed to his schtick as are the Brits who see Mr. Dry Quirky all year round on the telly. And I didn't care for Aftersun at all and again the acting was okay but not outstanding.
I heard one commentator on British tv say in the run up to the announcements that it would be good if the director for The Woman King was nominated because she was a black female. Nothing about deserving such an accolade. Just nice because of a potential nod to diversity.
And speaking of dumbing down, one commentator went on to say "and you know this is a new All Quiet on the Western Front. It's not the old one."
Yeah, really? They didn't nominate the 1930 film for the 2022 Academy Awards? Thanks for pointing that out.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LawrenceA wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:38 pm For anyone interested in nominated short films, I've found these available online:

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse is on Apple+

Le Pupille is on Disney+

The Elephant Whisperers and The Martha Mitchell Effect are on Netflix

My Year of Dicks
The Flying Sailor
Night Ride
Stranger at the Gate
Haulout

are all currently up on YouTube, although I haven't watched them yet, so I can't verify if they are unedited.
I've watched the above listed movies. The copy of My Year of Dicks on YouTube is missing some audio. All the others are fine, uploaded on The New Yorker's page. They have nominated animated short Ice Merchants there, as well.
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is My Year of Dicks about???
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:25 pm I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is My Year of Dicks about???
It's a woman's recollections about the year she decided she wanted to lose her virginity, and the awkward, fumbling failures of her quest. It's played for laughs, using multiple art styles. It has a very film-school/art-school hipster vibe. I liked it okay, and thought it was better than the other animated shorts I saw, but I doubt it has a shot at winning.
Watching until the end.