ziggy6708a

Re: Coming up on TCM...

Post by ziggy6708a »

:(
was "mr6666" @ TCM
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ziggy6708a wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:42 pm thought I'd mention...
they don't say what time & don't see on schedule
I don't know about Hollywood Steps Out being rare. It's been shown on TCM and is on the Internet.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

ziggy6708a wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:42 pm thought I'd mention...
they don't say what time & don't see on schedule
:roll:

Here's a listing of the 50+s cartoons that will run this month. https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads ... /WB100.pdf

Some guesswork would be involved based on time slot and movie length. The remaining time would be the cartoon. I plan to leave more cushion at the start and end in my DVR timer.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

the newly RESTORED version

:D :smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
laffite

Post by laffite »

kingrat wrote: April 16th, 2023, 4:47 pm The Mask of Dimitrios--Imagine a noir version of Citizen Kane, with Peter Lorre as the hero. Sydney Greenstreet and Faye Emerson are splendid, as usual, and Zachary Taylor plays the mysterious Dimitrios. 3) Three Strangers--Geraldine Fitzgerald, Peter Lorre, and Sydney Greenstreet share a lottery ticket, with surprising results. I love how we're not sure what kind of woman Geraldine Fitzgerald is, and we can imagine the film going several different ways. Then there's only one way.
Love all these, great favorites to many no doubt. The last time I watched Three Strangers I noticed something fascinating about the Lorre and Greenstreet roles. I will let it be, it's only an opinion, but an interesting take. Not all will agree. Not to be mysterious but I'll just let it go for now. It's probably not that obscure anyway.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

ziggy6708a wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:09 pm

:(
And, I STILL say the guy you see in profile while he's sitting at the table during the opening panning shot through Ciro's IS supposed to be George Brent and NOT Don Ameche!!!!!!

(...yeah, THAT'S right...I'm like a freakin' elephant...I NEVER forget...and in THIS case, that thread I started back at the old TCM forums) ;)

LOL
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: April 16th, 2023, 10:30 pm . . . And, I STILL say the guy you see in profile while he's sitting at the table during the opening panning shot through Ciro's IS supposed to be George Brent and NOT Don Ameche!!!!!! . . .
I think you left out an exclamation point (and the most important one too!).

I also think that you are right, Dargo, about the gent sitting with Claudette Colbert being George Brent.

Don't 'cha just hate when that (the permanent perpetuation of erroneous information) happens?

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

kingrat wrote: April 16th, 2023, 4:47 pm This Wednesday has five excellent films which may not be familiar to everyone:
The Mask of Dimitrios--Imagine a noir version of Citizen Kane, with Peter Lorre as the hero. Sydney Greenstreet and Faye Emerson are splendid, as usual, and Zachary Taylor plays the mysterious Dimitrios. 3) Three Strangers--Geraldine Fitzgerald, Peter Lorre, and Sydney Greenstreet share a lottery ticket, with surprising results. I love how we're not sure what kind of woman Geraldine Fitzgerald is, and we can imagine the film going several different ways. Then there's only one way.

SPOILER question:

I love The Mask of Dimitrios
and every actor and character in it (particularly Victor Francen, in his brief scene). One thing I don't understand, although I've seen the film often -- is why Sydney Greenstreet is in trouble at the end. He throws the money down and says that Lorre should write a book, and that "I'll have a lot of time to read it, where I'm going." What did he do wrong, apart from killing Dimitrios, sort of in self defense, after Dimitrios had shot him?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: April 18th, 2023, 3:46 pm SPOILER question:

I love The Mask of Dimitrios[/b] and every actor and character in it (particularly Victor Francen, in his brief scene). One thing I don't understand, although I've seen the film often -- is why Sydney Greenstreet is in trouble at the end. He throws the money down and says that Lorre should write a book, and that "I'll have a lot of time to read it, where I'm going." What did he do wrong, apart from kill Dimitrios, sort of in self defense, after Dimitrios had shot him?
That's the script that screenwriter Frank Gruber wrote.

Somebody kills somebody. Somebody's got to be arrested.

Perhaps later the police free Peters (Sydney Greenstreet) after they learn the whole story about Dimitrios Makropoulos (Zachary Scott). Perhaps Peters gets sentenced for trying to blackmail Makropoulos and creating a situation that resulted in (premeditated) murder.

Fashion a conclusion that satisfies you.

In the source novel by Eric Ambler, Peters and Makropoulos kill each other.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: April 18th, 2023, 8:56 pm
Swithin wrote: April 18th, 2023, 3:46 pm SPOILER question:

I love The Mask of Dimitrios[/b] and every actor and character in it (particularly Victor Francen, in his brief scene). One thing I don't understand, although I've seen the film often -- is why Sydney Greenstreet is in trouble at the end. He throws the money down and says that Lorre should write a book, and that "I'll have a lot of time to read it, where I'm going." What did he do wrong, apart from kill Dimitrios, sort of in self defense, after Dimitrios had shot him?
That's the script that screenwriter Frank Gruber wrote.

Somebody kills somebody. Somebody's got to be arrested.

Perhaps later the police free Peters (Sydney Greenstreet) after they learn the whole story about Dimitrios Makropoulos (Zachary Scott). Perhaps Peters gets sentenced for trying to blackmail Makropoulos and creating a situation that resulted in (premeditated) murder.

Fashion a conclusion that satisfies you.

In the source novel by Eric Ambler, Peters and Makropoulos kill each other.
In any case, a great movie ending: Peters coming down the stairs.