Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
TikiSoo

Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Post by TikiSoo »

I just saw a news article on Sally Field speaking about her Mrs Doubtfire co-star Robin Williams. Sally Field was in that?
Amazingly, it's one of those universally loved movies I still have never seen.

There's always those movies that just don't appeal to you personally that no matter how great everyone says it is you avoid it. Or that movie you're holding off viewing for whatever reason, your age or the circumstances.

I waited until the '90s to see 2001 A Space Odyssey on the big screen because I only see Kubrick's in theaters first time around!

What is the most famous, commonly loved movie that you would like to see but just haven't gotten around to yet?
LiamCasey

Re: Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Post by LiamCasey »

Considering how many gangster movies I've seen in my life, it is surprising that I have yet to see either The Godfather (1972) or The Godfather Part II (1974).

Now, I haven't see The Godfather Part III (1990) either. But I've seen enough reviews to know that that one doesn't meet your "commonly loved" criteria. :)
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

I've never seen Meet Me in St Louis (1944). Love musicals and do have it in my library, but ... ???
Uncle Charlie

Post by Uncle Charlie »

Classics I’ve never seen:
Gone With the Wind

Commonly loved movies I’ve never seen:
ET
Top Gun
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

First, we need to define what a "classic film" is ... no wait, we won't go there.

There are several musicals I haven't seen, including An American in Paris and The Sound of Music, as well as Meet Me in St. Louis. I've never been a fan of musicals, which is odd since a) I play music, b) I've written music, c) I've conducted music (OK, that was in front of a junior high school band, but it still counts), and d) I like many of the songs from the aforementioned films. But I'm just not a big fan of the genre.

I also have not seen The Apartment nor The Fortune Cookie, for no good reason I can think of.

I think there are also a few Tor Johnson flicks I've missed ... but that goes back to my opening sentence.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I've never seen any of the Harry Potter films.
laffite

Post by laffite »

kingrat wrote: February 27th, 2023, 4:32 pm The Sound of Music. And I do like musicals.

Then there are the movies I can't believe I've seen, because horror movies are not at all to my taste.
Not even the slithering 60s?

You don't watch Svengoolie every single week of your life?

The Creature of the Black Lagoon?

The She-Wolf of London?

Tyrone Power movies?

Well, neither do I. We agree on this :smiley_cheers:

My default attitude has been traditionally that it's strictly attracts the puerile of mind. I have almost resolved this misconception by way of two members (at least) who I respect immensely love this stuff. Woe is me. The conflict is unbearable. Maybe one day I may develop the habit of checking out what's playing this week on Svengoolie. Not likely.

But wait, I have a theory. I have a theory today, my friends! I have spent most of my life not caring much about Jazz. Then one day I heard "Delilah" by Clifford Brown and that changed everything. My theory is that I never really appreciated the "sound" of jazz in general , and therefore not likely to appreciate the individual example. But I was not only struck by "Delilah" it opened the door to the 'sound' of jazz, a doorway to the essence. Similarly, non-classic listeners don't appreciate CM because they still loathe the sound of symphony orchestra, a string quartet, and surely the "screech" of a soprano. But perhaps they might have their equivalent to Delilah and be struck by something that causes that epiphany opening the door to the classics, and even (gasp!) for opera.

Is it possible there exists out there a classic horror movie that might open that door to epiphany and make horror a real exciting thing on a screen? Where is my Delilah in the horror genre?

:director: Delilah ... oh Delilah, yoo-hoo, where are yoooooo
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

laffite wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:07 pm Is it possible there exists out there a classic horror movie that might open that door to epiphany and make horror a real exciting thing on a screen?

Maybe just accept that it isn't for you, and leave it to the rest of us puerile-minded cretins.
Watching until the end.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

I saw In a Lonely Place only recently, a movie I read a lot about. Other noirs that I haven't seen yet are Dark Passage and Boomerang!
When in doubt, have another one.
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:07 pm My default attitude has been traditionally that it's strictly attracts the puerile of mind. I have almost resolved this misconception by way of two members (at least) who I respect immensely love this stuff. Woe is me. The conflict is unbearable. Maybe one day I may develop the habit of checking out what's playing this week on Svengoolie. Not likely.

[...]

Is it possible there exists out there a classic horror movie that might open that door to epiphany and make horror a real exciting thing on a screen? Where is my Delilah in the horror genre?
I am quite neutral towards horror. I will not watch a movie simply because it is horror but I will also not shy away from watching a comedy movie which has horror elements. I like Jean Rollin movies because they are French surreal absurdities. The fact that they are horror does not attract me but it does not drive me away.

Perhaps you might want to keep an eye for movies which are in a genre which you like but which have also horror elements. I have yet to see a comedy romance horror mystery movie but so many movies include more than one genre that I have no doubt there is one out there.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

LawrenceA wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:40 pm
laffite wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:07 pm Is it possible there exists out there a classic horror movie that might open that door to epiphany and make horror a real exciting thing on a screen?

Maybe just accept that it isn't for you, and leave it to the rest of us puerile-minded cretins.
You didn't read carefully, Lawrence.
laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:22 am
LawrenceA wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:40 pm

You didn't read carefully, Lawrence. I even termed "puerile" a misconception. Why didn't you quote that part? did you read it at all or just the last sentence?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Well, I suppose this is now as good a place as any to finally admit that I have never actually watched any Marx Brothers movies.

(...and if you believe this, then you probably also believe there actually is a sanity clause, too)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

laffite wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:23 am You didn't read carefully, Lawrence. I even termed "puerile" a misconception. did you read it at all or just the last sentence?
I read your entire post & agreed with Lawrence's response.
Your post comes across like you're baiting for an attack rather than participating in conversation.

I've never seen Top Gun nor any of the Harry Potter movies either.

The only reason I've seen The Shining & Lord Of The Rings is because of going into the wrong theater! Although The Shining scared me out of my mind, I became a huge Kubrick fan because of it.