Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
speedracer5

Re: Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 7th, 2023, 2:40 pm
speedracer5 wrote: March 7th, 2023, 11:36 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: March 6th, 2023, 9:20 pm

I always thought the birds in BARBARELLA were scarier that the birds in THE BIRDS.

And that the dolls in BARBARELLA were scarier than the birds in BARBARELLA.

Image]
The parakeets in Barbarella are so cute! A few years ago, my husband, sister and I went to the aquarium in Long Beach and there was a Lorikeet area. You could buy some nectar and be swarmed by Lorikeets. At one point my husband had at least 10 birds on him, lol.

The dolls and kids in Barbarella are far creepier than the birds, imo.
Yes, the parakeets in BARBARELLA were cute. (I am a bird lover and have 2 green-cheeked conures --- or actually they have me.)

What was scary about those parakeets was how those cute birds attacked and drew blood from Barbarella,

And, yes those kids were super creepy!
I have one green-cheek conure (yellow-sided) and he has drawn blood from me; but I do agree that it would be an unnerving experience to be covered in small adorable birds who are pecking at you and drawing blood.

I don't find the birds in "The Birds" scary at all. In fact, when they attack the school kids, I think it was because they were so sick of that annoying song that the kids were singing. The birds were really doing everyone a favor.

My favorite part in The Birds was the woman in the diner who comes up to Tippi Hedren and goes "I THINK YOU'RE EVIL! EVIL!"
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Some people are spooked by the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Swithin wrote: March 4th, 2023, 1:55 pm You haven't seen Celine and Julie...? I'm shocked, it's one of the great French films and one of my favorites.
I finally watched it today.

Yeah, no. Not for me. A near-perfect example of what I hate most about French cinema. I think I may have felt about this the way you did about Brazil.
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: March 8th, 2023, 8:06 pm
Swithin wrote: March 4th, 2023, 1:55 pm You haven't seen Celine and Julie...? I'm shocked, it's one of the great French films and one of my favorites.
I finally watched it today.

Yeah, no. Not for me. A near-perfect example of what I hate most about French cinema. I think I may have felt about this the way you did about Brazil.
Brazil?!!! Slowly I turn...

But regarding Celine and Julie being an example of what you hate about French cinema, I really don't think it's typical of most of French cinema. (But as you would say, "What do I know?")

Celine and Julie was playing at the Film Forum (our great revival house) in NYC a few years ago. I asked a friend (who had seen it in the '70s) to join me. He replied "Once in a lifetime is enough!"
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Swithin wrote: March 8th, 2023, 8:10 pm Brazil?!!! Slowly I turn...

But regarding Celine and Julie being an example of what you hate about French cinema, I really don't think it's typical of most of French cinema. (But as you would say, "What do I know?")

Celine and Julie was playing at the Film Forum (our great revival house) in NYC a few years ago. I asked a friend (who had seen it in the '70s) to join me. He replied "Once in a lifetime is enough!"
Yeah, I don't know how to put it, exactly, but there's a vibe to French New Wave-y type films that's very off-putting to me. They look bad, the cinematography is awful and perfunctory, I never give a damn about the characters (outside of maybe bored contempt) and I just can't get into them at all.

I may have exaggerated my dislike here, as I think upon reflection that I loathed The Mother and the Whore more, but C&J was nearly as interminable.

I watched a Godard followed by a Rohmer the other day (Tout va Bien and Love in the Afternoon) and wanted to stick my head in the oven.
Watching until the end.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

[

I watched a Godard followed by a Rohmer the other day (Tout va Bien and Love in the Afternoon) and wanted to stick my head in the oven.
[/quote]

You are so right..I have not seen a good Godard made after 1965Tout va bien is horrendous despite a good cast.. as for Rohmer I made several arrempts,no use,,If i remember well. the only one I liked by him was le Signe du lion,one of his very early ones, there is some others french new wave directors i have reserves also.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:26 pm
speedracer5 wrote: March 7th, 2023, 11:36 am

The parakeets in Barbarella are so cute! A few years ago, my husband, sister and I went to the aquarium in Long Beach and there was a Lorikeet area. You could buy some nectar and be swarmed by Lorikeets. At one point my husband had at least 10 birds on him, lol.

The dolls and kids in Barbarella are far creepier than the birds, imo.
Yes, the parakeets in BARBARELLA were cute. (I am a bird lover and have 2 green-cheeked conures --- or actually they have me.)

What was scary about those parakeets was how those cute birds attacked and drew blood from Barbarella,

I have one green-cheek conure (yellow-sided) and he has drawn blood from me; but I do agree that it would be an unnerving experience to be covered in small adorable birds who are pecking at you and drawing blood.

I don't find the birds in "The Birds" scary at all. In fact, when they attack the school kids, I think it was because they were so sick of that annoying song that the kids were singing. The birds were really doing everyone a favor.

My favorite part in The Birds was the woman in the diner who comes up to Tippi Hedren and goes "I THINK YOU'RE EVIL! EVIL!"
I've also had blood drawn from me by both of my green-cheeked conures (one is yellow-sided and one is cinnamon).Their beaks are like scissors.

I also love the part in THE BIRDS with "I think you're evil! EEEEE-VIIIL!!!" woman. I smile when Tippi Hedren slaps her. The slap sound effect that was used is great!

I see that part is the "Most replayed" in the video below:

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

speedracer5 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:26 pm I don't find the birds in "The Birds" scary at all. In fact, when they attack the school kids, I think it was because they were so sick of that annoying song that the kids were singing. The birds were really doing everyone a favor.
This will likely be the funniest thing I see today. I should just go back to bed right now. :lol:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

nakanosunplaza wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:39 pm [

You are so right..I have not seen a good Godard made after 1965Tout va bien is horrendous despite a good cast.. as for Rohmer I made several arrempts,no use,,If i remember well. the only one I liked by him was le Signe du lion,one of his very early ones, there is some others french new wave directors i have reserves also.
[/quote]

I have mixed feelings about Godard -- I don't think his films have aged well. But I LOVE Rohmer, I find him kind of different, more dialogue driven. I think my favorite Rohmer is Summer's Tale (part of the Four Seasons series). It's a glorious, sunny film, with great, realistic conversations. I also have a soft spot for The Marquise of O, which is totally different to most of Rohmer's films.

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:00 pm
speedracer5 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:26 pm

I've also had blood drawn from me by both of my green-cheeked conures (one is yellow-sided and one is cinnamon).Their beaks are like scissors.

I also love the part in THE BIRDS with "I think you're evil! EEEEE-VIIIL!!!" woman. I smile when Tippi Hedren slaps her. The slap sound effect that was used is great!

I see that part is the "Most replayed" in the video below:

That's what happens when your Madison Avenue boss gets kidnapped and mistaken for a government agent. To escape from the potential collateral damage, you move across country to a small California coastal village and then get terrorized by birds.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 2:24 pm The Most Popular American Movie From Each Year (According to Letterboxd) That I Haven't Seen

1927 - The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg
And right as rain, it is now officially in the public domain and is now on YouTube.....

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

TikiSoo wrote: February 27th, 2023, 1:35 pm I just saw a news article on Sally Field speaking about her Mrs Doubtfire co-star Robin Williams. Sally Field was in that?
Amazingly, it's one of those universally loved movies I still have never seen.

There's always those movies that just don't appeal to you personally that no matter how great everyone says it is you avoid it. Or that movie you're holding off viewing for whatever reason, your age or the circumstances.

I waited until the '90s to see 2001 A Space Odyssey on the big screen because I only see Kubrick's in theaters first time around!

What is the most famous, commonly loved movie that you would like to see but just haven't gotten around to yet?
I realize I'm a few months late with this response, but yes, Sally Field was in Mrs. Doubtfire, although it was a pretty thankless role. I recently took a look at it again, and in some respects it is remarkable that it was such a large hit at the time because although the film had some lengthy slapstick sequences and some of Robin Williams' rapid-fire comedy, its hard to think of another "comedy" of recent decades that was so melancholy.

That is because the main topic of the film, in spite of some jokes, was about the pain of divorce on all concerned, especially on children. The film started with the marriage of polar opposites Williams and Field ending: he was like an overgrown, constantly joking 12 year old, she was extremely serious and very uptight, it simply wasn't going to end well. When he mostly loses visitation rights to his three children, he disguised himself as an older British female nanny just so he could see more of his children....and well to try to scare off the competition, namely Field's new beau Pierce Brosnan (stuck in a Ralph Bellamy in Awful Truth/His Girl Friday role, in between his years as Remington Steele and James Bond)

Its not a bad film, if you adjust to the fact that its not as comic as many might claim, and if you can take the sentimentality. But at the same time, neither lead is really very likable: we feel Williams' desire to be near his kids, but his manipulation of his ex-wife's new romance is quite nasty, and his behavior toward Brosnan's character is downright abominable (there was also another subplot, left on the cutting room floor, which had Williams take revenge on a nosy neighbor played by Polly Holliday. It was cut because it was mean spirited and tacky, and while Holliday is listed in the opening credits, her role is only about 45 seconds in the finished film), and Field, aside from a scene or two when she reveals her regrets over her crumbled marriage, is rarely allowed to have any drop of sympathy at all in her hard-charging characterization (you don't want to know what some twenty and thirtysomethings who grew up with this film say about her character). And aside from the basic family members, all of the other characters have a tendency to just disappear from the film after just about two or three scenes.

So, basically, the call on whether to watch it comes down to your overall feeling on Williams' brand of comedy, as well as how you feel about a quite unflinching treatment of the weighty subject of divorce ( it's actually one of the more honest mainstream films concerning that). I do feel that the ending of the film hits precisely the right note needed for such an enterprise, and its very moving actually, and earlier moments do work quite well at times. I wouldn't call it a modern classic exactly, but as far as family entertainment goes, you could do far worse.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I always sympathized with Sally Field in "Mrs. Doubtfire." This is a woman whose husband always wants to be the "fun" parent. She always has to be the bad guy, while her husband gets to have fun and be the exciting parent. Case in point, the opening scene where Robin Williams has a full petting zoo at their house and is having an out of control birthday party in the house, completely destroying it. Sally tries to do something nice by coming home early with a cake and some gifts, and ends up spending the evening cleaning her house instead. Once again, she has to be the bad guy that puts an end to the party. From the dialogue, she's at the end of her rope being the sole adult in the relationship, responsible for providing a consistent income to the family. I don't blame her for one second. It would be extremely frustrating to feel like you're married to an overgrown child who can't even support or respect you when it comes to parenting and contributing to the household. Sure there's probably room for Sally to loosen up but Robin needs to get his crap together and the two could meet in the middle.

I do agree that his treatment of Pierce Brosnan, who by all accounts seems like a nice, decent guy, is un-called for. But it is understandable. This is a man who has lost his wife and family over a few months. To see his wife move on with another man and see that man interact with your children would be difficult. However, Sally and Pierce are probably a better match, as he appears to be everything she wants in a partner. While it is funny, it is messed up that a man would purposely deceive his ex, but at this point, I don't think he really cares about fixing the marriage. It's dead. He wants to see his kids, so from that perspective, I can understand why he's doing it. I think the point where Robin's character crosses the line is when he puts pepper in Pierce Brosnan's food, right after hearing him state that he has an allergy to it. He could have killed the man out of jealousy. Thankfully, Robin realizes it and gives him the Heimlich maneuver, which leads us to my favorite part: Sally Field, in shock, embarrassment, and anger upon seeing that it's her ex-husband inside of the Mrs. Doubtfire costume: "The whole time! The whole time you were...! THE WHOLE TIME!"

While I enjoy Mrs. Doubtfire as a whole, I could do without all the scenes involving the children. Which I realize would be pointless since they're the main motivation behind Robin Williams' actions in the film. The oldest child takes the usual trope of hating everyone and everything, the middle child isn't quite as bad, but shares similar viewpoint, then the youngest is overly cutesy and cloying. The fake manipulative sentimentality is the part of the film I dislike, and there is a lot of fake manipulative sentimentality in 80s and 90s movies and TV. I completely empathize with Margo Channing when she says "I detest cheap sentiment."
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I enjoyed Mork and Mindy during its original run, long before I realized Robin was off the rails.
I’ve never seen Mrs. Doubtfire.
I wasn’t fond of the Vietnam War element in Forrest Gump, but accepted it as a necessary part of the movie.
I loved Robin Williams in RV. It stayed on target and was hilarious.
Of all the movies with Sally Field, I have to go with Places in the Heart.
I know Good Morning Vietnam for the soundtrack but not the movie.
There is a tunnel just north of the Golden Gate Bridge renamed The Robin Williams Tunnel.