April 2023 Schedule Posted, WB 100th Anniversary

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

April 2023 Schedule Posted, WB 100th Anniversary

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has posted a partial schedule for April, 2023.

The theme for the month is the 100th Anniversary of Warner Brothers.

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
EP Millstone

Re: April 2023 Schedule Posted, WB 100th Anniversary

Post by EP Millstone »

cmovieviewer wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:16 am TCM has posted a partial schedule for April, 2023 . . .
Again, thank you, cmovieviewer, for your dedication to sharing Turner Classic Movies schedules.

I, for one, welcome the salute to Warner Bros. and break from the, for me, tiresome and uninteresting menu of MGM movies.

Regarding the April 10 daytime programming Shot at Teddington, Warner's British Studios, I'm delighted to see the Hammer Films offerings . . . which were NOT shot at Teddington. By 1956, when The Curse of Frankenstein started production, Teddington Studios had been closed by Warner Bros for four years and was on the cusp of being converted into a television studio.

History Focus -- Teddington TV Studios
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Thanks for the explanation and nice reference. (I suspect you may have more background on the topic than some of the programmers.) Unfortunately this theme is during the daytime on a weekday so we will likely not hear the hosts discuss it (unless the intros are treated differently during the special month of programming). This topic is all new to me so I appreciate learning about it.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I see that the TCM premiere of Alan J. Pakula's ROLLOVER is scheduled to air on April 27.
I've never seen that movie so I'm looking forward to that one.

I'm a big fan of Pakula's KLUTE and ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN.
THE PARALLAX VIEW (the other movie in Pakula's paranoia "trilogy") is also good, but I have only seen it once.

I admit that I have never seen SOPHIE'S CHOICE. I'm sure it is a fantastic movie, but I I think it would be too painful to watch now. Maybe in about ten years, I will try to watch it.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I hate Sophie's Choice. Saw it once. I won't be watching that again.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

I admit that I have never seen SOPHIE'S CHOICE. I'm sure it is a fantastic movie, but I I think it would be too painful to watch now. Maybe in about ten years, I will try to watch it.
[/quote]

Sophie's Choice is great film. I have senn Rollover once first run when it was released, it was very 'painful' ,a bona fide turkey,last time i watched a Jane Fonda movie on the big screen...
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

nakanosunplaza wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:25 pm
Sophie's Choice is great film. I have senn Rollover once first run when it was released, it was very 'painful' ,a bona fide turkey,last time i watched a Jane Fonda movie on the big screen...
I had the same reaction to both films. And I also like All the President's Men, The Parallax View, and Klute.

I rated his other films a 6/10 - The Sterile Cuckoo (1969), Comes a Horseman (1978), Starting Over (1979), Orphans (1987), Presumed Innocent (1990); or a 5/10 - Consenting Adults (1992), The Pelican Brief (1993), and The Devil's Own (1997).
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Tiresome menu of MGM movies? Am sure April will be a tiresome menu of WB movies (which are shown half the time with the MGM output on a regular basis!) So, in other words, the SOS! And for this they preempt the regular weekly slots?

I have not seen Sophie's Choice in many years, but having read the book before I saw the film, I was disappointed in it (Meryl's performance notwithstanding). The book is much better. But if you haven't read the book, the movie will do.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Talk about the ultimate ego trip. This month is one Warner film after another, with no MGM, RKO, Universal, Columbia, Paramount, UA, or Fox film present. The only degrees of verisimilitude I see are four Orion/WB coproductions (Time After Time, A Little Romance, The Great Santini, and the seriously underwhelming Rollover), one WB/MGM coproduction (The Goodbye Girl), two Lorimars (Running on Empty and Cookie), one Cannon production (A Cry in the Dark), and a New Line Cinema offering (Torch Song Trilogy; New Line was completely folded into WB back in 2008.) Otherwise, all WB films for an entire month! I like WB films but this borders on craziness.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:44 pm Talk about the ultimate ego trip. This month is one Warner film after another, with no MGM, RKO, Universal, Columbia, Paramount, UA, or Fox film present. The only degrees of verisimilitude I see are four Orion/WB coproductions (Time After Time, A Little Romance, The Great Santini, and the seriously underwhelming Rollover), one WB/MGM coproduction (The Goodbye Girl), two Lorimars (Running on Empty and Cookie), one Cannon production (A Cry in the Dark), and a New Line Cinema offering (Torch Song Trilogy; New Line was completely folded into WB back in 2008.) Otherwise, all WB films for an entire month! I like WB films but this borders on craziness.
Yeah, but isn't that kind of what one would expect from a month-long "100 Years of WB" festival? Your comment makes it sound like you're surprised by it.
Watching until the end.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

LawrenceA wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:49 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:44 pm Talk about the ultimate ego trip. This month is one Warner film after another, with no MGM, RKO, Universal, Columbia, Paramount, UA, or Fox film present. The only degrees of verisimilitude I see are four Orion/WB coproductions (Time After Time, A Little Romance, The Great Santini, and the seriously underwhelming Rollover), one WB/MGM coproduction (The Goodbye Girl), two Lorimars (Running on Empty and Cookie), one Cannon production (A Cry in the Dark), and a New Line Cinema offering (Torch Song Trilogy; New Line was completely folded into WB back in 2008.) Otherwise, all WB films for an entire month! I like WB films but this borders on craziness.
Yeah, but isn't that kind of what one would expect from a month-long "100 Years of WB" festival? Your comment makes it sound like you're surprised by it.
At first, I just thought it was going to be a SOTM-like thing, just like one day a week. Didn't expect it to be every single thing all month. I won't get surprised again by it....and I guess there will be a similar thing next year for MGM's 100th.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:52 pm At first, I just thought it was going to be a SOTM-like thing, just like one day a week. Didn't expect it to be every single thing all month. I won't get surprised again by it....and I guess there will be a similar thing next year for MGM's 100th.
I just assumed it would be all day, every day when it was announced that stuff like Noir Alley would be suspended until May.
Watching until the end.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Wait until next April when it's MGM's 100th Anniversary. :P

The promotional video they made focused on newer movies and MGM titles with a dash of some old movies. I realize they have to cater to modern audiences, but they could have included Bette Davis, Jimmy Cagney, and Edward G. Robinson.

TCM is the only place they can celebrate their classic film legacy; I can be happy with one month dedicated to it.

Anyone know how Disney+ is celebrating their 100th anniversary. It's in October, but I would be curious to know what they're doing to celebrate it.

I like that I can re-watch the Max Steiner documentary. I thought it was really well done. Selznick's son reminisce about how much Max Steiner meant to him was a highlight.

Anyone see the Warner Brothers and Jack Warner documentaries?

I will make every effort to watch the 5 John Barrymore movies being shown.

I like that I get to watch some movies I have not seen from my projects list.
  • Michael Curtiz - Little Big Shot
  • Michael Curtiz - This is the Army
  • Michael Curtiz - Trouble Along the Way
  • John Garfield - Blackwell's Island
  • Howard Hawks - The Crowd Roars
Last edited by umop apisdn on March 8th, 2023, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:35 pm Tiresome menu of MGM movies? Am sure April will be a tiresome menu of WB movies (which are shown half the time with the MGM output on a regular basis!) . . .
Suum cuique.

I much more prefer watching Bogart, Cagney, and Robinson -- and Greenstreet and Lorre -- and Blondell, Keeler, and (Dick) Powell in Busby Berkeley musicals -- to enduring (William) Powell and Loy -- and Rooney and Garland -- and Garson and Pidegon -- and Tracy and Hepburn -- and Tarzan Takes Out a Mortgage.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

umop apisdn wrote: March 8th, 2023, 8:41 pm Wait until next April when it's MGM's 100th Anniversary. :P

The promotional video they made focused on newer movies and MGM titles with a dash of some old movies. I realize they have to cater to modern audiences, but they could have included Bette Davis, Jimmy Cagney, and Edward G. Robinson.

TCM is the only place they can celebrate their classic film legacy; I can be happy with one month dedicated to it.

Anyone know how Disney+ is celebrating their 100th anniversary. It's in October, but I would be curious to know what they're doing to celebrate it.

I like that I can re-watch the Max Steiner documentary. I thought it was really well done. Selznick's son reminisce about how much Max Steiner meant to him was a highlight.

Anyone see the Warner Brothers and Jack Warner documentaries?

I will make every effort to watch the 5 John Barrymore movies being shown.

I like that I get to watch some movies I have not seen from my projects list.
  • Michael Curtiz - Little Big Shot
  • Michael Curtiz - This is the Army
  • Michael Curtiz - Trouble Along the Way
  • John Garfield - Blackwell's Island
  • Howard Hawks - The Crowd Roars
I agree with you: TCM being the place where WB can celebrate their classic film history. People complained that their promotional video didn't contain any classic Hollywood stars. TCM is going to be the place for WB to celebrate all the classic film stars. The schedule being all WB doesn't bother me. When I watch movies, it hardly occurs to me what studio is producing the film. I appreciated that they tried to change up the schedule with genre and star tributes. I thought they had a nice mix of films. It's not just endless gangster films. Or endless swashbucklers. Or endless "Weepies." There was a nice mix. I also liked that they didn't just select the obvious choice for the contract player tributes, there were some deeper cuts.

I'm also attending the TCMFF for the first time this year. WB's 100th birthday is being celebrated there too; though it is just one of a few spotlights, not the entire festival.

Most of my favorite stars were WB contract players, so I'm happy with the schedule. It's less repetitive than the Oscars scheduling. Though last week, they were killing it with the entire film noir evening.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com