Vertigo remake

txfilmfan

Vertigo remake

Post by txfilmfan »

Variety is reporting that Paramount has a remake of Vertigo on the slate, in cooperation with Robert Downey Jr.'s production company. Not sure how I feel about it. My initial reaction was "Why?", but I was a defender of the Spielberg remake of West Side Story (not that he needed my voice in the debate), so I should keep an open mind.
To me, Vertigo has a plot problem or two: Scottie chasing after Judy and then remaking her in Madeleine's image, with very little protest from Judy, is a bit far-fetched. I also think the trial/inquest or whatever it is held at the mission is a bit strange. I'm not even sure what it is. There's a jury, and a too-long monologue by what I guess is a judge. If it was a trial or inquest, why isn't it held in a courtroom?
Perhaps they can find a better plot device to move the obsession story along. I doubt they can improve on the overall production values, and the score undoubtedly won't be equaled.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1639000663337349120

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/robe ... 235563018/
j.lunatic

Re: Vertigo remake

Post by j.lunatic »

Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Perhaps older movie remakes are saying something about what new movies are about.
Would like to see a remake of Rear Window.
A Star Is Born tells us something.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Wow! After reading this bit of news, I now find myself suffering from...

HIGH ANXIETY!

Whenever you're near

High anxiety

It's you that I fear

(...sorry, couldn't resist)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dargo wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:19 pm Wow! After reading this bit of news, I now find myself suffering from...

HIGH ANXIETY!

Whenever you're near

High anxiety

It's you that I fear

Your resistant is low.
Your humour is always high and welcome
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jimimac71 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:08 pm Perhaps older movie remakes are saying something about what new movies are about.
There was a TV movie version of Rear Window with Christopher Reeve, after he had his accident. I've never seen it.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

A unique, implausible film that gets better each time one looks at it, it is boring and original audiences responded. I'm left with the original question: Why?

BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Dargo wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:19 pm Wow! After reading this bit of news, I now find myself suffering from...

HIGH ANXIETY!

Whenever you're near

High anxiety

It's you that I fear

"Excuse me. I bought the celery in case on the plane they wanted to serve you a bloody Mary."

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

kingrat wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:35 pm
txfilmfan wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:45 pm
jimimac71 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:08 pm Perhaps older movie remakes are saying something about what new movies are about.
There was a TV movie version of Rear Window with Christopher Reeve, after he had his accident. I've never seen it.
It wasn't bad. I don't remember much about it.

For the Vertigo remake, maybe they can get Adam Sandler and Lizzo?
Yep, I remember watching the Reeve TV-movie version as well.

The thing I recall the most about it was thinking that because it lacked Hitchcock's signature interspersed comedy-relief moments and that there was no Thelma Ritter-like character in it, the most impressive thing about it was that Chris Reeve showed how much guts he possessed for even starring in it after becoming a quadriplegic.

(...and which was a lot more guts than the vast majority of people possess)
Last edited by Dargo on March 24th, 2023, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Remakes have a long tradition in cinema, of course. Sometimes I'm happier with the remake than the original. Hell, Hitch even remade his own film once! However...I don't want to see someone else's take on a Hitchcock film again. I've seen two instances of this, both the same property (Psycho). One was a shot for shot remake of the film, and was awful, while the other was a TV show, Bates Motel, which was pretty good, but unnecessary. They didn't do anything better or remarkable with it, and films like this don't benefit from "improved" filmmaking techniques. This isn't remaking The Lost World with modern CGI or something. It's a psychological thriller and stands the test of time just fine on its own.

Sorry if I'm all over the place I just woke up. :lol:
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Lomm wrote: March 24th, 2023, 6:09 am Remakes have a long tradition in cinema, of course. (snipped) One was a shot for shot remake of the film, and was awful
I think so too, but still CANNOT figure out why one works & the other doesn't! If all the dialogue & photography are exactly the same, it can only be the acting, right?

I just read Quentin Tarentino's chapter on Brian DePalma's obsession with Hitchcock - this blatant use of the camera, rather than hiding it.
While I'm sure I've noticed it, never thought to "name" it, call it out. But Hitch's visual style does seem to be what sets his films apart from others.

Vertigo is one of Hitch's weaker films, imho. If HE couldn't make a weak story better, why does someone else think they can?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lomm wrote: March 24th, 2023, 6:09 am Remakes have a long tradition in cinema, of course. Sometimes I'm happier with the remake than the original. Hell, Hitch even remade his own film once! However...I don't want to see someone else's take on a Hitchcock film again. I've seen two instances of this, both the same property (Psycho). One was a shot for shot remake of the film, and was awful, while the other was a TV show, Bates Motel, which was pretty good, but unnecessary. They didn't do anything better or remarkable with it, and films like this don't benefit from "improved" filmmaking techniques. This isn't remaking The Lost World with modern CGI or something. It's a psychological thriller and stands the test of time just fine on its own.

Sorry if I'm all over the place I just woke up. :lol:
A remake which I think is much better than the original is The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956). I think this is one of Hitchcock's greatest films, and also one of his most underrated. John Ford's The Sun Shines Bright (1953), which is a remake of his Judge Priest (1934) is also better than the original.

In both examples, the remakes were made by the same director as the original. The originals were good films; but the remakes are better.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

The original flopped why would they think a remake would do better? Do they think young audiences would have the patience or relate to the story? I expect it will be a quite different take on the story. It might be ok, but I'm sure it wont be in the same league as the original. Hitchcock is on a plane by himself. I doubt I will see it as I've seen the original so many times.