TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES NEWS

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
NotAnAnimal!!

Re: TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES NEWS

Post by NotAnAnimal!! »

It is a good price and a good selection. Criterion Channel looks like the type of thing TCM, after Robert Osbourne, has aspired to become, with more recent films. While the occasional newer film is fine, I would prefer it to stick to older films. I liked being able to tune in and I knew I would more than likely be served with a classic film with all the trappings that that entails. Longer shots, and a respite from frenetic editing. Its simply more relaxing to me.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

NotAnAnimal!! wrote: July 10th, 2023, 9:27 pm It is a good price and a good selection. Criterion Channel looks like the type of thing TCM, after Robert Osbourne, has aspired to become, with more recent films. While the occasional newer film is fine, I would prefer it to stick to older films. I liked being able to tune in and I knew I would more than likely be served with a classic film with all the trappings that that entails. Longer shots, and a respite from frenetic editing. Its simply more relaxing to me.
One of the bigger complaints against TCM on the “old forum” was that TCM had far too much overlap with the criterion channel and that it featured too many foreign and independent type fare which appeals to a limited amount. I don’t hold that opinion but I absolutely see where they are coming from.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LostHorizons wrote: July 10th, 2023, 11:09 pm
NotAnAnimal!! wrote: July 10th, 2023, 9:27 pm It is a good price and a good selection. Criterion Channel looks like the type of thing TCM, after Robert Osbourne, has aspired to become, with more recent films. While the occasional newer film is fine, I would prefer it to stick to older films. I liked being able to tune in and I knew I would more than likely be served with a classic film with all the trappings that that entails. Longer shots, and a respite from frenetic editing. Its simply more relaxing to me.
One of the bigger complaints against TCM on the “old forum” was that TCM had far too much overlap with the criterion channel and that it featured too many foreign and independent type fare which appeals to a limited amount. I don’t hold that opinion but I absolutely see where they are coming from.
Another big complaint was that TCM showed mostly the-same-films, from the original Ted Turner library of films from studios WB, RKO and MGM.

To me the two complaints compete against each other: by showing foreign and independent films, TCM is stepping outside the same-old-films from WB, RKO and MGM.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 11th, 2023, 11:09 am
LostHorizons wrote: July 10th, 2023, 11:09 pm
Another big complaint was that TCM showed mostly the-same-films, from the original Ted Turner library of films from studios WB, RKO and MGM.

To me the two complaints compete against each other: by showing foreign and independent films, TCM is stepping outside the same-old-films from WB, RKO and MGM.
Just illustrates that old maxim that you can't please everyone all the time.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

The Watch TCM app finally started again adding new movies to select from yesterday!
:)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

txfilmfan wrote: July 11th, 2023, 11:22 am
Just illustrates that old maxim that you can't please everyone all the time.
"Old maxim"?

(...you mean Ricky Nelson didn't come up with this idea???)

;)
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

The Watch TCM app has started adding new movies again on demand but the recently added movies won't play.

TCM is aware of the problem but UGH!

Apparently, Dana Delaney has posted about the issue.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 15th, 2023, 1:30 pm The Watch TCM app has started adding new movies again on demand but the recently added movies won't play.
Sure, streaming is just so much better. (sarcasm)

Vinyl to CD was an OK transition because you could still retain your vinyl or replace if it was damaged.

But there is little you can do if streaming fails, you have no back up unless you have the movie on DVD.

Sure I like the idea of having less stuff, but the alternative isn't very reliable yet. Plus, it's a step backward, with too many breaks for commercials-why no one watches broadcast TV.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

TikiSoo wrote: July 16th, 2023, 5:15 am
BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 15th, 2023, 1:30 pm The Watch TCM app has started adding new movies again on demand but the recently added movies won't play.

Vinyl to CD was an OK transition because you could still retain your vinyl or replace if it was damaged.

But there is little you can do if streaming fails, you have no back up unless you have the movie on DVD.

Sure I like the idea of having less stuff, but the alternative isn't very reliable yet. Plus, it's a step backward, with too many breaks for commercials-why no one watches broadcast TV.
I rarely collect anything on CD or DVD. I did purchase Victor/Victoria from Apple.
It is no better than the DVD.
I see your point about DVDs TikiSoo. If nothing else, streaming doesn't not have any extras as a disc will.
It is annoying when a Blu-ray is no better in content than a DVD.
I am not convinced streaming is superior. It's just a baby with a lot of baby steps to make.
The free with ads services are clueless as to how many ads are too many and even more clueless as to placement.
I use to watch Murder, She Wrote on COZI. Rather than put ads where they belong, the show would stop abruptly, almost in mid-sentence. Makes it worse as COZI is not free. I cannot use an antenna, where COZI could be free.
My NBC channel is owned by Comcast (NBC/Universal) and includes COZI as a sub-channel.
I still only pay for cable television, which is also annoying, but better most of the time than some streaming.
Streaming often has issues with loudness/volume. Like YouTube, you never know how loud or soft it will be.
In the end, this is where streaming tries to get the subscriber to pay extra for ad free.
(I won't pay for Spotify without commercials. Instead, I no longer use it).
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

In the end, this is where streaming tries to get the subscriber to pay extra for ad free.
And yet you think everybody would be happy to pay the same exorbitant amount you would for Streaming TCM.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Fedya wrote: July 16th, 2023, 1:14 pm
And yet you think everybody would be happy to pay the same exorbitant amount you would for Streaming TCM.
I don't require Spotify. It is a luxury and I seldom use it.
My favorite music is free with limited advertising.
I pay for a package from Xfinity that includes TCM now.
For reasons unknown, my Xfinity package suddenly was reduced in price.
I still pay somewhere close to $9 per month for a package with 2 dozen channels.
I only watch TCM from that package, and for the longest time, it was $9.99/month.
Only Sling TV has a small add-on with TCM. Close to $50 complete.
Otherwise, $70, like it or not, for any service with TCM.
Streaming, cable or satellite. Pick your poison.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

The Watch TCM app is great when it works --- which is most of the time.
The recent glitch is annoying, but it's a fluke.

I only rarely watch the live feeds of TCM, but those (there's an east and a west feed) were not affected by the recent glitch with the movies available on demand.
I love watching the movies on demand on a laptop or tablet.
There are less restrictions about where and when you can watch.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 16th, 2023, 2:22 pm

The Watch TCM app is great when it works --- which is most of the time.
The recent glitch is annoying, but it's a fluke.

I only rarely watch the live feeds of TCM, but those (there's an east and a west feed) were not affected by the recent glitch with the movies available on demand.
I love watching the movies on demand on a laptop or tablet.
There are less restrictions about where and when you can watch.
I have trouble successfully making partial quotes. Sorry.
Kind of funny how some people purchase huge televisions and also watch stuff on a small device.
I have watched on my tablet. Don't have a laptop. Kind of thinking Chromebook over tablet.
Watching on my PC is the best, besides the TV, as it is also 16:9 aspect ratio.
You don't get that with iPad.
Going way back with the TCM forum, complaints about Watch TCM were constant.
I don't remember FilmStruck having technical problems.
I didn't subscribe but looked at the interface and watched a few free things.
Even cable TV is a streaming protocol.
You can get "chicklets" sometimes, or freezes, or even frame skipping.
CDs and DVDs are like records without a physical groove. They operate in a linear fashion.
The technology is real quite fascinating. Remember, the laser reads from the inside to the outside.
The disc spins quickly to start. The larger the disc surface becomes, the disc spins slower.
No Internet required. TikiSoo is on track with it being more foolproof.
But the future is kicking physical media to the curb.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Well, I used to enjoy watching old Star Trek episodes occasionally on Pluto or Netflix. But then Paramount put them on their subscription streaming site.
Glad I have them all on DVD to still watch occasionally when I feel like it.
This is why DVDs are better than streaming. The networks are just waiting for all the DVD players to die out so they become worthless.

I'd rather watch what I want to watch on my laptop than having to pay to see it.
I watch streaming pretty much daily too.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

TikiSoo wrote: July 16th, 2023, 4:30 pm Well, I used to enjoy watching old Star Trek episodes occasionally on Pluto or Netflix. But then Paramount put them on their subscription streaming site.
Glad I have them all on DVD to still watch occasionally when I feel like it.
This is why DVDs are better than streaming. The networks are just waiting for all the DVD players to die out so they become worthless.

I'd rather watch what I want to watch on my laptop than having to pay to see it.
I watch streaming pretty much daily too.
I've seen technologies fail.
It is a shame the DVD part of Netflix is ending.
Probably costs a small fortune to maintain.
Not everyone has quality Internet.
Years ago, our family stayed at a beach house at Bodega Bay.
There were two satellite dishes. One for TV. One for Internet.
Some people believe the LaserDisc should make a return, just like vinyl records.
You would find, with a little investigating, Criterion got a pre-DVD start on LaserDisc.
As for TCM, my Xfinity bill went back up to where it was, with zero explanation.
The "More Sports and Entertainment" Package has returned to $9.99/month.
Again, all I watch out of 24 channels, is TCM.