And Soon the Darkness (1970)

wmcclain

And Soon the Darkness (1970)

Post by wmcclain »

And Soon the Darkness (1970), directed by Robert Fuest.

A slow-burn thriller about two English girls on a cycling trip in France. Foolishly, they split up after an argument and one vanishes along a stretch of rural road known for rape-and-murder. Her friend searches for her but doesn't speak the language and is not getting much help from the locals. It builds to the type of climax familiar in later slasher films.

I had never heard of this until it appeared on Blu-ray. It is a small film but I think rather well done. Points of interest:
  • The title doesn't mean anything, but it did catch my attention and pull me in, so the studio knew something about marketing.
  • It is a "sunny day" thriller, set all in one day.
  • A persistent tone of paranoia: the more we see of the locals, the more we begin to imagine about them, without any actual evidence.
  • It skillfully combines several known fears: of being a tourist in danger in a strange location, of inexplicable disappearance, of sexual menaces and the chance of being murdered, of not being able to trust anyone.
  • The French dialogue has no subtitles, neither in the original film nor on the Blu-ray. This is so we can share our character's confusion and understand just enough to be suspicious. John Boorman did the same thing in Hell in the Pacific (1968).
  • Most of the exteriors were filmed in France and we get to know a run-down stretch of road pretty well.
  • The cinematography somehow gives us a intimate "you are there" feeling without being documentary-like. You can hear the light breeze on that road and almost feel it. Credit to Ian Wilson -- Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974), The Crying Game (1992), Emma (1996).
  • Pamela Franklin, age 20, is the lead and I always enjoy seeing her. Her first film was The Innocents (1961) at age 11, followed by The Nanny (1965), The Night of the Following Day (1968), The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) and The Legend of Hell House (1973).
  • After the light, bouncy vacation music of the opening credits, Laurie Johnson delivers a wonderfully ominous score. It deserves a soundtrack album but as far as I know has never had one. He is also known for Tiger Bay (1959), Dr. Strangelove (1964) and the 1960s The Avengers TV series.
  • When The Avengers was canceled it seems like the entire crew came over to work on this film.
  • This was made during the three year period when actor/writer/director Bryan Forbes was head of EMI Films.
  • Remade in 2010 with Karl Urban and Amber Heard. Not much noticed or liked.
Available on Blu-ray from Kino with two commentary tracks: production memories by the director and producer, and a happy appreciation by film scholar Troy Howarth.

Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: And Soon the Darkness (1970)

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

A pretty good British thriller. I was a fan of Pamela Franklin, she was a welcome addition to many British films of the 1960s and 1970s. Michele Dotrice was attractive as her blond friend.

Also the director Robert Fuest who would go on to helm two Vincent Price classics, The Abominable Dr Phibes and Dr Phibes Rises Again
Last edited by Detective Jim McLeod on April 19th, 2023, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
EP Millstone

Re: And Soon the Darkness (1970)

Post by EP Millstone »

wmcclain wrote: April 17th, 2023, 7:11 am And Soon the Darkness (1970), directed by Robert Fuest.
Michele Dotrice was the daughter of versatile and prolific actor Roy Dotrice and sister of Karen Dotrice (The Three Lives of Thomasina, Mary Poppins, and The Gnome-Mobile). Michele had earlier sororized with The Witches (AKA The Devil's Own) and would immediately after And Soon the Darkness become tainted by The Blood on Satan's Claw.

Sándor Éles (as the questionably trustworthy "Paul") had previously witnessed The Evil of Frankenstein and was soon to come under the seductive spell of Ingrid Pitt as sanguinary "Countess Elisabeth Nadasdy" (the fictional incarnation of Countess Erzsébet Báthory) in Countess Dracula.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields