DVD Netflix Shutting Down

News and Upcoming Releases
speedracer5

Re: DVD Netflix Shutting Down

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: September 30th, 2023, 11:44 am
speedracer5 wrote: April 27th, 2023, 10:42 am I tried the Netflix DVD service briefly as well. My problem is that I took too long to watch my disk, as I was never in the mood to watch what was sent to me (even though obviously it was sent to me based on my queue). My other issue is that a lot of the movies I wanted to see was never available, and of the ones that were available, my local library and/or TCM itself would be showing it, so it was cheaper for me just to use those services instead.
We had DVD Netflix but awhile as well (only 1 disc at a time), but it seemed like the envelope sat on the coffee table for a very long time so we really weren't getting the value out of the service.
Some of the titles we wanted were in a special queue --- something like "we don't know when this disc will be available." I suspect these were discs that were not returned. At least once, though, one of the titles we had that special queue did move into the active queue.

We have an excellent regional library system (in the Chicago suburbs) so we could find most (but not all) of the movies we wanted to see by placing holds through our local library.
Yes. Since I live in the Portland, OR Metro Area there are a lot of good sized libraries in my library system. I will also utilize the Inter-Library Loan system to get materials from outside my network. These are such great services and everything is free.

I also subscribe to the Criterion Channel which lately has been killing it in terms of their classic film offerings.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

speedracer5 wrote: September 30th, 2023, 2:44 pm I also subscribe to the Criterion Channel which lately has been killing it in terms of their classic film offerings.
Criterion Channel is my go to streaming service now. This month is fantastic:

Pre-Code Horror
  • The Black Cat
  • The Dark Old House
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • Doctor X
  • Freaks
  • Island of Lost Souls
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • Murders in the Rue Morgue
  • Murders in the Zoo
  • Mystery of the Wax Museum
  • The Raven
  • Svengali
  • Thirteen Women
Linda Darnell!
  • A Letter to Three Wives
  • Blood & Sand
  • Fallen Angel
  • Forever Amber
  • Hangover Square
  • The Mark of Zorro
  • My Darling Clementine
  • No Way Out
  • Star Dust
  • Unfaithfully Yours
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

GaryCooper wrote: November 14th, 2023, 12:09 am https://dvd.netflix.com/
That's really nice. I've never thought about it but, if pressed, I probably would have said machines did all that kind of work. Seeing all those nice people is making me all warm and fuzzy and now I'm wishing I'd been thoughtful enough to include something personal in those envelopes, because it obviously meant something to them. I never had any objection to the turn-around time involved in mailed discs; I actually remember thinking how remarkable it was that they could get them out so quickly. But what was once "fast" now has to be "instant". People don't seem to have as much tolerance for any kind of delay or disappointment anymore, which doesn't appear to me to be a good sign. The mailed discs were an innovation for their time and definitely fulfilled a need, but I guess we're moving on, as we always do. Next!
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith