July 2023 Schedule Posted, 1970s film stars featured

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

July 2023 Schedule Posted, 1970s film stars featured

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has posted a partial schedule for July, 2023.

There is no single Star of the Month, but instead TCM is featuring stars from films released in the 1970s.

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
jimimac71

Re: July 2023 Schedule Posted, 1970s film stars featured

Post by jimimac71 »

Thanks for the post cmovieviewer.
I would do things completely different but no one asks me.
I use to complain that Noir Alley shouldn't play twice. Boy did that get me into hot water.
Because TCM is around the clock, Noir Alley is onto something.
I don't use DVR. I watch in real-time. I am not normal. I get that.
But Noir Alley is played twice as if others are watching in real-time.
So program the rest of the channel the same way.
Repeat the same films at different times, then put them away.
When I was a part of cable television, Showtime played Star Wars a total of four times the month it was available.
That was it for quite some time. It must have cost a bundle to show.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I liked when they added the second showing of Noir Alley. I do sometimes try to make a point to watch Noir Alley in real-time, but that was not happening when it came on at 7am on Sunday. Plus, 7am on Sunday is not a noir time for me. 7am is time for things like "The Golden Girls" or "I Love Lucy" or light comedic films. When they added the second Noir Alley showing, it came on at 9pm Saturday--perfect Noir Alley time. It works well for me. But I can see for the east coast people, a movie starting at midnight might be too late. The 10am Sunday showing, while still early for film noir for my tastes, is probably a lot easier to watch in real time.

Judging from my experience at the TCMFF and being part of the Classic Film community on Twitter, one cannot underestimate how popular Eddie Muller is. TCM was smart for giving him two timeslots.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I like the 70s SOTM theme. I've been wanting to see more films from this time.

Next we'll be into the annual SUTS programming. With "Wrath of God" w/ Rita Hayworth and Robert Mitchum extending over to 8/1, I wonder if this is indicative of a Mitchum or Hayworth SUTS day. Gilda precedes it, making a Hayworth SUTS seem possible; but it is also possible that the SUTS programming starts after "Wrath of God."
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

speedracer5 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 11:29 am I liked when they added the second showing of Noir Alley. I do sometimes try to make a point to watch Noir Alley in real-time, but that was not happening when it came on at 7am on Sunday. Plus, 7am on Sunday is not a noir time for me. 7am is time for things like "The Golden Girls" or "I Love Lucy" or light comedic films. When they added the second Noir Alley showing, it came on at 9pm Saturday--perfect Noir Alley time. It works well for me. But I can see for the east coast people, a movie starting at midnight might be too late. The 10am Sunday showing, while still early for film noir for my tastes, is probably a lot easier to watch in real time.

Judging from my experience at the TCMFF and being part of the Classic Film community on Twitter, one cannot underestimate how popular Eddie Muller is. TCM was smart for giving him two timeslots.
Okay, there's another thing. TCM programs for the Eastern Time Zone. For us, I too am on the West Coast, Prime-time is 5 PM, not 8 PM.
At 7 AM, any day of the week, it is still news time.
I don't use the Internet for television, meaning I don't have Watch TCM.
Not sure why TCM doesn't have a West Coast feed for cable and satellite.
I enjoy your insight as a member of the TCM community at a higher level.
I have always enjoyed your posts. Was embarrassed many years ago for assuming you were a man, based on your name and photo.
I'm not fond of the hosts introductions to movies. I don't watch Noir Alley. Not a fan.
Eddie Muller is the best thing TCM has.
What Eddie does is just different and better. I use to be able to watch his Noir Alley wrap-arounds on the TCM site.
Saturday Matinee is just a fancy name for a theme, and I don't like how TCM has to put everything in a theme.
Of course it is at 9 AM in California.
I don't enjoy listening to Ben or Alicia. I know we differ on that.
I don't watch Silent Sundays either, even though it is at 9 PM and not Midnight.
If you look at the real-time version (schedule) for STARZ, you will see movies repeating during the same day.
That is what I feel TCM should do.
I don't want to think about August before Memorial Day and Summer Under The Stars is yet another annoying theme.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LAME
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

jimimac71 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 12:16 pm
speedracer5 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 11:29 am I liked when they added the second showing of Noir Alley. I do sometimes try to make a point to watch Noir Alley in real-time, but that was not happening when it came on at 7am on Sunday. Plus, 7am on Sunday is not a noir time for me. 7am is time for things like "The Golden Girls" or "I Love Lucy" or light comedic films. When they added the second Noir Alley showing, it came on at 9pm Saturday--perfect Noir Alley time. It works well for me. But I can see for the east coast people, a movie starting at midnight might be too late. The 10am Sunday showing, while still early for film noir for my tastes, is probably a lot easier to watch in real time.

Okay, there's another thing. TCM programs for the Eastern Time Zone. For us, I too am on the West Coast, Prime-time is 5 PM, not 8 PM.
At 7 AM, any day of the week, it is still news time.
I don't use the Internet for television, meaning I don't have Watch TCM.
Not sure why TCM doesn't have a West Coast feed for cable and satellite.
I enjoy your insight as a member of the TCM community at a higher level.
I have always enjoyed your posts. Was embarrassed many years ago for assuming you were a man, based on your name and photo.
I'm not fond of the hosts introductions to movies. I don't watch Noir Alley. Not a fan.
Eddie Muller is the best thing TCM has.
What Eddie does is just different and better. I use to be able to watch his Noir Alley wrap-arounds on the TCM site.
Saturday Matinee is just a fancy name for a theme, and I don't like how TCM has to put everything in a theme.
Of course it is at 9 AM in California.
I don't enjoy listening to Ben or Alicia. I know we differ on that.
I don't watch Silent Sundays either, even though it is at 9 PM and not Midnight.
If you look at the real-time version (schedule) for STARZ, you will see movies repeating during the same day.
That is what I feel TCM should do.
I don't want to think about August before Memorial Day and Summer Under The Stars is yet another annoying theme.
I'm aware that TCM schedules for Eastern time. A lot of television is scheduled for Eastern Time. I like that Primetime starts at 5pm. It gives me more time to watch the evening's programming if that night's theme interests me. I don't mind the themed programming. I imagine that it makes programming easier when there is a set theme to schedule. I think it would be very tedious to have to come up with days and days' worth of random movies. I think we would end up with even more repeats than usual as the programmers would probably have the same movies in mind over and over. Having a theme forces them to research and work harder to find films to show. This is where we might get to see more Paramount or Columbia films, because they've allocated some budget dollars to these films and gained the rights to show them x amount of times.

7am is just too early for most things. I don't watch the news. It is too depressing. It's not good for one's psyche to watch too much doom and gloom, or heavily biased programming. If I'm up that early, I prefer to watch something frothy and fun.

TCM does have a West Coast feed, but it's on Watch TCM online. I don't use Watch TCM often, only if I'm traveling or am doing something where I want to watch a movie, but don't have my TV available. I have a DVR, so I DVR everything that interests me.

Thank you re: the kind words. I picked the username from the cartoon and I like Errol Flynn, which is why I picked them.

I enjoy the hosts' introductions. Much of the information in the introductions are just mixed up combinations of the same anecdotes; but it doesn't bother me. With a film as well known as say "Casablanca" (for e.g.) there is only so much that can be said about it that hasn't been said before. I love Eddie Muller's introductions because he writes his own introductions and actually performs extra research to try and give an introduction with lesser known information. I enjoy all the hosts, I don't have any issues with them. My husband and I also met all of them at the recent TCM Film Festival and every host was gracious and mingled with the guests which I thought was really cool. There wasn't an ounce of pretense with any of them. Having actually met and seen them in person, seeing them on my TV is a different experience for sure. I don't watch Sunday Silent Nights often, even though I love Jacqueline Stewart, but my husband and I actually watched it last night because they were showing 4 Harold Lloyd shorts.

Because I use my DVR to record what I want to see, I wouldn't want TCM to repeat films during the day. It would be redundant for my purposes. I only really watch TCM in the evenings, maybe more on the weekends, but I'm at work all day. I dislike the Saturday morning programming because I can't stand the Bowery Boys and they seem to be on all the time. I also would rather see Looney Tunes cartoons than Popeye, so the cartoons don't excite me either. I don't mind Dave Karger's Musical Matinee series. He was the only host that didn't have a regularly scheduled "show" (so to speak), so I can see why TCM came up with this series.

For me, it doesn't matter who is doing what, what the theme is, etc. I just look at what's scheduled and plan accordingly. I have enough DVR recordings, movies, streaming, etc. that there will always be something to watch.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I'm glad they finally realized that Ah! Wilderness takes place partly on July 4. I'm also pleased that they're doing an Africa series but wish they had included Mountains of the Moon and The Sheltering Sky.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Well speedracer5, I can't argue with an award winning programmer, so I will agree to "Think Different."
I am older and live with my mother, who's even older. I'm in the Medicare crowd.
While the idea of AI is becoming a frightening concept, it could be perfect for programming TCM.
I might want to know how many people are in charge of the schedules and how much money does that cost TCM's owners.
I compare Ted Turner to the late Steve Jobs. I use to watch the Apple "Events" on my iMac years ago and loved Steve Jobs enthusiasm.
He loved Apple and the products he had a hand in creating.
I think Ted was the same way and Robert Osborne was nuts about what TCM had available.
TCM turns 30 on April 14, 2024.
You name it, everything is different and programming needs to be different too.
In example, July 4th programming could be films that feature fireworks.
If AI programmed TCM, you might not easily figure out what the theme is really about.
I'm laughing inside, thinking of Desk Set and the computer that was going to make life easier.
norfious

Post by norfious »

The 1970s stars theme is fun, and one I am looking forward to. Recently I have been getting out of my movie comfort zone and dipping my toes into the pool of 1970s films and thus far I have really been enjoying what I have seen.

To be completely honest, I am rather disappointed there are no Roy Scheider movies in the list for July, but that's ok. Maybe they're just saving them for Summer Under the Stars -- fingers crossed!
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

The 70s SOTM theme is only WB library titles, most of which were already seen in April. They could have done much better.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I was excited when I read the thread title - I love the 70's.

After perusing, however, I felt significantly let down. Almost everything from the 70's has been shown before.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:05 pm The 70s SOTM theme is only WB library titles, most of which were already seen in April. They could have done much better.
Par for the course, though! :D
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 11:23 am
CinemaInternational wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:05 pm The 70s SOTM theme is only WB library titles, most of which were already seen in April. They could have done much better.
Par for the course, though! :D
I'm curious if anyone is using "Max," the new name for HBO Max?
I don't use any streaming TV. My Xfinity is already too expensive.
Max is $15.99 without ads. TCM is $9.99 in a separate package on my Xfinity.
I agree with you Hibi, programming on TCM is blah.
I know I've been with TCM 15 years but not 20.
I'm sure it's a little different for others just getting started.
norfious

Post by norfious »

jimimac71 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 2:25 pm I'm curious if anyone is using "Max," the new name for HBO Max?
I have HBOMax, as it used to come free with my cable package. My cable package has since changed, so I am buying the service now only because someone in my family enjoys watching it.

While I don't watch very often, I notice a lot of the titles on the TCM Hub of HBO Max seem to be titles that were recently on TCM, or movies from the 1990s. Still, but they do have some unique finds. In particular, I watched an interesting Japanese silent film there called "Dragnet Girl" a while back that I don't think was ever on TCM.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.