Summer Under the Stars Wishlist

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: Summer Under the Stars Wishlist

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 1:21 pm Holden, Robert and Greer are so wonderful in GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS. Such a heartwarming yet ultimately heartbreaking romance....No matter how many times I see this movie I am always devastated for him.

In my opinion Garson should have won her first Oscar for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, joining the deserved second win for MRS. MINIVER.

At least I can get my Donat fix today with the Deborah Kerr SUTS line-up: VACATION FROM MARRIAGE.
What Holden was in Goodbye, Mr. Chips?

As for Garson and Pride and Prejudice: While Garson tries her best, she was over 15 years too old for the role (as portrayed in the novel) and I believe the other 1940 best actress nominees were more deserving of the nomination: Davis for The Letter, Hepburn for The Philadelphia Story, Fontaine for Rebecca, Scott for Our Town, and winner Rogers for Kitty Foyle.

Garson was nominated the next year for Blossom in the Dust.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 12th, 2023, 6:38 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 1:21 pm Holden, Robert and Greer are so wonderful in GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS. Such a heartwarming yet ultimately heartbreaking romance....No matter how many times I see this movie I am always devastated for him.

In my opinion Garson should have won her first Oscar for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, joining the deserved second win for MRS. MINIVER.

At least I can get my Donat fix today with the Deborah Kerr SUTS line-up: VACATION FROM MARRIAGE.

jjg, Bronxgirl was addressing me.
Her comment about Robert [Donat] and Greer [Garson] was in response to my previous post about those two actors.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Alan Ladd day was one of the SUTS days I was most excited about. Then I had to go on a last minute work trip to the Bay Area on Thursday. Thinking ahead, I brought 2 laptops and an HDMI cord, so I could use one laptop to stream Watch TCM live to the hotel TV and still have a laptop to use! This was perfect and I was able to enjoy Shane, This Gun for Hire, and The Blue Dahlia. I had to go to bed when The Glass Key started, so I'm watching it now using the Watch TCM archived movies. Yes! I should be home next Thursday and I'll have Friday off (my work always comps people the day off the day after they arrive home from a work trip). Which means I'll be off all day for Carole Lombard day which is super exciting!
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
jamesjazzguitar

HoldenIsHere wrote: August 12th, 2023, 8:16 pm

jjg, Bronxgirl was addressing me.
Her comment about Robert [Donat] and Greer [Garson] was in response to my previous post about those two actors.
Ah, mystery solved! Thanks.

I'm a big fan of the 1939 Goodbye, Mr. Chips and William Holden was getting his start in 39, so I wondered if he was an uncredited actor in Chips.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LOL
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

As for Garson and Pride and Prejudice: While Garson tries her best, she was over 15 years too old for the role (as portrayed in the novel) and I believe the other 1940 best actress nominees were more deserving of the nomination: Davis for The Letter, Hepburn for The Philadelphia Story, Fontaine for Rebecca, Scott for Our Town, and winner Rogers for Kitty Foyle.

Garson was nominated the next year for Blossom in the Dust.

I never saw BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST.

Ginger should have won Best Supporting Actress (if those awards were around in 1937) for STAGE DOOR. She expertly weaves comedy and drama into that performance.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Was Garson even a nominee for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE? I hope she at least was! I saw the movie again this afternoon and am still a sucker for her performance over Bette, Kate, Joan, Martha and winner Ginger. I just cannot help falling in love with Greer as Elizabeth, age difference or not, lol.
jamesjazzguitar

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 14th, 2023, 8:17 pm Was Garson even a nominee for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE? I hope she at least was! I saw the movie again this afternoon and am still a sucker for her performance over Bette, Kate, Joan, Martha and winner Ginger. I just cannot help falling in love with Greer as Elizabeth, age difference or not, lol.
Garson was not one of the 5 nominees; thus, she was not nominated for P&P or any other performance that year.

Like I said before: Garson was nominated the next year for Blossom in the Dust.

While I think Garson does a better job playing a 19- to 20-year-old women than Norma Sheer does in Romeo and Julliet, I don't think the academy should reward MGM miscasting decisions.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I certainly agree with you about the Greer/Norma contrast. They were both adept, however, at "noble suffering".

Not to put you on the spot but, what MGM actress would you have chosen to play Elizabeth in 1940? (and Juliet in 1936?)
jamesjazzguitar

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 3:25 pm I certainly agree with you about the Greer/Norma contrast. They were both adept, however, at "noble suffering".

Not to put you on the spot but, what MGM actress would you have chosen to play Elizabeth in 1940? (and Juliet in 1936?)
For the 1940 film I would have cast Ruth Hussey as Elizabeth. Hussey was a fine actress and could have handled the role. Lana Turner would have had the right look and age, but she wasn't a very good actress early in her career. Clearly not in the same league as Hussey. (And I concede neither were in Garson's league).

As for Juliet in 1936: That is a lot harder for me since the role of Juliet (as well as Romeo), require before-the-title actors and I don't think MGM had any actresses in their early 20s, with that type of clout in 1936. Thus, I'm more understanding of MGM's decision to go with too old but well-established actors for a film where the two main characters are part of the title of the film.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I must respectfully disagree about Ruth Hussey -- too "modern" I feel for that classic role. Lana Turner would have been hopelessly inadequate for the reasons you state although strangely enough she "fits" well enough with the period atmosphere in 1941's DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE and also gives a decent performance opposite the powerhouse Tracy.

I do agree with you on the 1936 Juliet casting. Shearer seems to have been the only big name classy "default" choice at that particular time.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LOL
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

kingrat wrote: August 16th, 2023, 9:56 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 15th, 2023, 7:58 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 3:25 pm I certainly agree with you about the Greer/Norma contrast. They were both adept, however, at "noble suffering".

For the 1940 film I would have cast Ruth Hussey as Elizabeth. Hussey was a fine actress and could have handled the role. Lana Turner would have had the right look and age, but she wasn't a very good actress early in her career. Clearly not in the same league as Hussey. (And I concede neither were in Garson's league).

As for Juliet in 1936: That is a lot harder for me since the role of Juliet (as well as Romeo), require before-the-title actors and I don't think MGM had any actresses in their early 20s, with that type of clout in 1936. Thus, I'm more understanding of MGM's decision to go with too old but well-established actors for a film where the two main characters are part of the title of the film.
We could have had a Zeffirelli-style Romeo and Juliet with Judy Garland as Juliet. And, of course, Mickey Rooney as Romeo! Those kids would have put on a show!

I'd vote for Jackie Cooper as Romeo instead of Mickey Rooney.

He made TOUGH GUY for MGM in 1936 and was already an Oscar-nominated actor (for SKIPPY).