Summer Under the Stars Wishlist

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: Summer Under the Stars Wishlist

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 9:59 pm Alan Ladd day was one of the SUTS days I was most excited about. Then I had to go on a last minute work trip to the Bay Area on Thursday. Thinking ahead, I brought 2 laptops and an HDMI cord, so I could use one laptop to stream Watch TCM live to the hotel TV and still have a laptop to use! This was perfect and I was able to enjoy Shane, This Gun for Hire, and The Blue Dahlia. I had to go to bed when The Glass Key started, so I'm watching it now using the Watch TCM archived movies.
I watched THIS GUY FOR HIRE on Watch TCM. What a great movie.

It cracked me up when Veronica Lake's character's friend said to her: "You look like you've been on a hayride with Dracula."
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: August 19th, 2023, 2:59 am
speedracer5 wrote: August 12th, 2023, 9:59 pm Alan Ladd day was one of the SUTS days I was most excited about. Then I had to go on a last minute work trip to the Bay Area on Thursday. Thinking ahead, I brought 2 laptops and an HDMI cord, so I could use one laptop to stream Watch TCM live to the hotel TV and still have a laptop to use! This was perfect and I was able to enjoy Shane, This Gun for Hire, and The Blue Dahlia. I had to go to bed when The Glass Key started, so I'm watching it now using the Watch TCM archived movies.
I watched THIS GUY FOR HIRE on Watch TCM. What a great movie.

It cracked me up when Veronica Lake's character's friend said to her: "You look like you've been on a hayride with Dracula."
While "The Glass Key" is my favorite Ladd/Lake film, I do enjoy "This Gun for Hire" especially for Veronica as a singing magician! Her sleight of hand tricks are very good. It would appear that she's actually performing the trick as well and it's not some sort of trick photography. I would love to know about how filming for this entire part of the film went. In her memoir, Veronica somewhat glosses over the making of all of her films.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 3:25 pm I certainly agree with you about the Greer/Norma contrast. They were both adept, however, at "noble suffering".

Not to put you on the spot but, what MGM actress would you have chosen to play Elizabeth in 1940? (and Juliet in 1936?)
How about Deanna Durbin as Elizabeth in PaP? Assuming Universal would have agreed to lend her to MGM.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Not unless MGM was planning on making PRIDE AND PREJUDICE a musical!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Cinemaspeak59 wrote: August 20th, 2023, 2:02 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 3:25 pm I certainly agree with you about the Greer/Norma contrast. They were both adept, however, at "noble suffering".

Not to put you on the spot but, what MGM actress would you have chosen to play Elizabeth in 1940? (and Juliet in 1936?)
How about Deanna Durbin as Elizabeth in PaP? Assuming Universal would have agreed to lend her to MGM.
If actresses from other studios are in play Anita Louise would have been a logical choice since she had a lot of experience (for a young actress), in costume\period films for Warner Bros.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Anita Louise did cross my mind.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 20th, 2023, 7:50 pm Anita Louise did cross my mind.
Note that WB did load out to MGM Anita Louise and Jane Bryan for the film These Glamour Girls made in 1939. These were very experienced young actresses compared to what MGM had in Lana Turner and Ann Rutherford. Marsh Hunt was also in the film and had some experience under her belt (but still not as much as the WB gals).

This is what gave me the idea of using Louise for the role in P&P.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on August 23rd, 2023, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: August 19th, 2023, 2:53 am
kingrat wrote: August 16th, 2023, 9:56 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 15th, 2023, 7:58 pm

For the 1940 film I would have cast Ruth Hussey as Elizabeth. Hussey was a fine actress and could have handled the role. Lana Turner would have had the right look and age, but she wasn't a very good actress early in her career. Clearly not in the same league as Hussey. (And I concede neither were in Garson's league).

As for Juliet in 1936: That is a lot harder for me since the role of Juliet (as well as Romeo), require before-the-title actors and I don't think MGM had any actresses in their early 20s, with that type of clout in 1936. Thus, I'm more understanding of MGM's decision to go with too old but well-established actors for a film where the two main characters are part of the title of the film.
We could have had a Zeffirelli-style Romeo and Juliet with Judy Garland as Juliet. And, of course, Mickey Rooney as Romeo! Those kids would have put on a show!

I'd vote for Jackie Cooper as Romeo instead of Mickey Rooney.

He made TOUGH GUY for MGM in 1936 and was already an Oscar-nominated actor (for SKIPPY).

Interesting you mention Jackie. According to Hollywood legend Norma Shearer, after the death of Thalberg, "entertained" Cooper and Mickey Rooney in her dressing room. Presumably not at the same time.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 21st, 2023, 8:50 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: August 19th, 2023, 2:53 am
kingrat wrote: August 16th, 2023, 9:56 am

We could have had a Zeffirelli-style Romeo and Juliet with Judy Garland as Juliet. And, of course, Mickey Rooney as Romeo! Those kids would have put on a show!

I'd vote for Jackie Cooper as Romeo instead of Mickey Rooney.

He made TOUGH GUY for MGM in 1936 and was already an Oscar-nominated actor (for SKIPPY).

Interesting you mention Jackie. According to Hollywood legend Norma Shearer, after the death of Thalberg, "entertained" Cooper and Mickey Rooney in her dressing room. Presumably not at the same time.
Hmm... Both of them would have been teenagers at this time... eww! Norma.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Cougar