ziggy6708a

Kubrick's "The Shining"...

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Intrepid37

Re: Kubrick's "The Shining"...

Post by Intrepid37 »

Kubrick's worst movie. A huge letdown for readers of the novel.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Intrepid37 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 4:35 am Kubrick's worst movie. A huge letdown for readers of the novel.
Like me.

And instead of wasting all that time on the blood from the elevator Kubrick could have sought out better FX instead of having the kid do that ridiculous finger puppet thing and using that pathetic growling voice. :roll:

Sepiatone
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

skimpole wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:03 am
Intrepid37 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 4:35 am Kubrick's worst movie. A huge letdown for readers of the novel.
Because the several dozen other movies based on King novels, often with his approval, are better...how exactly?
Yeah I'd like to know too. I think Kubrick's The Shining is the best adaptation of any King novel.
I think it's a brilliant movie, very effective.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Because the several dozen other movies based on King novels, often with his approval, are better...how exactly?
To my knowledge, The Shining is the only Stephen King movie that Kubrick directed.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Now, WHY would you ask such an asinine question since he never claimed they were? In fact, he never mentioned any comparisons to other King novel adaptations.

Sepiatone
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

skimpole wrote: May 27th, 2023, 12:24 pm Well since King himself famously didn't like the Kubrick version (and eventually got a TV mini-series made), and has been perfectly happy with movie versions of his works most viewers regret paying money to see, I think it's a relevant question. And while I certainly don't think The Shining is Kubrick's worst movie, I certainly do think it's the best adaptation of King.
Different topic entirely. It would be necessary for one to see every movie based on Stephen King's writing to know (subjectively) that that's the case.

It's much easier to have seen every movie Kubrick made and to know (again, subjectively) that The Shining is his worst.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Best and worst are, of course a matter of opinion.
In my opinion THE SHINING is a better movie than EYES WIDE SHUT, LOLITA or BARRY LYNDON.
If one is not a fan of Peter Sellers (which I am not), DR. STRANGELOVE is also tiresome.

THE SHINING is actually the only Stanley Kubrick movie that I have watched multiple times.
I find it highly entertaining and very well executed.
I don't compare it to King's novel (which I have never read --- I'm not a fan of his writing), but I take the movie on its own merits.
I know that KIng was particularly unhappy with the way Kubrick altered the ending of the story, but that's what can happen when a writer sells the movie rights to one of their works.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 27th, 2023, 12:41 pm
In my opinion THE SHINING is a better movie than EYES WIDE SHUT, LOLITA or BARRY LYNDON.
If one is not a fan of Peter Sellers (which I am not), DR. STRANGELOVE is also tiresome.

THE SHINING is actually the only Stanley Kubrick movie that I have watched multiple times.
I don't compare it to King's novel (which I have never read --- I'm not a fan of his writing), but I take the movie on its own merits.
I know that KIng was particularly unhappy with the way Kubrick altered the ending of the story, but that's what can happen when a writer sells the movie rights to one of their works.
I've watched nearly all of Kubrick's movies multiple times. The Shining - after 4 viewings - is still not pleasing me in any way whatsoever. The same disappointment I felt the first time I saw it just won't dissipate. Also might be Nicholson's worst movie, but definitely Kubrick's.

As you say, it's all a matter of personal opinion. We feel what we feel.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 27th, 2023, 12:41 pm

I've never seen EYES WIDE SHUT but saw LOLITA many times and BARRY LYNDON only once. And I'd have to say both LOLITA and the later mentioned DR. STRANGELOVE tower over Kubrick's THE SHINING. And I wasn't also thrilled much by BARRY LYNDON. But even THAT snooze fest was better than The Shining.

And one needn't be a Peter Sellers fan to like DR. STRANGELOVE on it's own merits. It would have still been a brilliant satire without Sellers multi-roles.

Sepiatone
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Although I feel that The Shining (1980) is a good movie that is worth watching, it is neither what I consider Stanley Kubrick's best movie (That would be Spartacus (1960). Maybe I'm just a sucker for epics. But it seems telling that my favorite of his movies is the one that he probably had the least creative control over.) nor what I consider Stephen King's best movie (That would be The Dead Zone (1983). But I must admit that there are a fair number of his movies that I haven't seen. Especially those made post-2000.).
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

LiamCasey wrote: May 28th, 2023, 1:29 pm Although I feel that The Shining (1980) is a good movie that is worth watching, it is neither what I consider Stanley Kubrick's best movie (That would be Spartacus (1960). Maybe I'm just a sucker for epics. But it seems telling that my favorite of his movies is the one that he probably had the least creative control over.) nor what I consider Stephen King's best movie (That would be The Dead Zone (1983). But I must admit that there are a fair number of his movies that I haven't seen. Especially those made post-2000.).
I agree that The Dead Zone is the best adaptation of a Stephen King novel that I've both seen and read.

I do enjoy King's writing a great deal more than the film versions - that's pretty much the case for everything that is transposed from novel to screen for me.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

It's very different from the novel (topiary animals instead of a maze for example) and no... anyway, it's one of KING's better books, but I think the movie improved on it!