Why were so many game show hosts such lowlifes?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
jimimac71

Re: Why were so many game show hosts such lowlifes?

Post by jimimac71 »

I looked at the video of the first episode on the GSN site. No car giveaway.
The only thing I really liked from before.

As for hosts I can't stand, Jerry McConnell on Pictionary.

Dargo ... If you're gonna take Mrs. Dargo to the submarine races, you need a classy chassis like the Lincoln Continental Mark IV.

Or just hightail it out here to the ocean. Doesn't have to be California.
Can't speak for Washington State but Oregon has beautiful coastal areas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon_Beach%2C_Oregon#
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Oh, I know firsthand how beautiful the Oregon coast is, jimimac.

About 30 years ago now, I'd say, the Mrs. and I rented a little convertible (ironically enough, a Pontiac...Sunbird) and drove up and hugged the coast as much as we could on PCH (Hwys 1 and the 101) from our then home in L.A. and all the way to Seattle. We dropped the car off there after visiting some friends and flew back home.

We overnighted in the little town of Tillamook along the way up. Just one of the many cute little burgs we'd hit as the Pacific lay off to our left.

(...a most memorable road trip)
norfious

Post by norfious »

The host of "What's My Line?", John Charles Daly, seemed like a nice enough person. He's definitely my favorite host of any game show for his intelligence, tact and fun sense of humor. In fact, the entire cast of the show (with some exceptions) seemed to be mostly respectful and played off each other well. Allen Ludden is my other favorite host for many of the same reasons. He seemed like a genuinely nice person, from what I have seen.

I am also a big fan of Robert Q. Lewis, who was a fill-in host for many early game shows, though he often did come off as creepy. Personally, I think he was putting on an act, though, and I don't hold it against him.

This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I kind of like Gene Rayburn. Yes, he could be a creep and disrespectful, but I never really get the sense of maliciousness from him. I think he was just a very outgoing person who perhaps had little to no filter and just enjoyed getting laughs so he did what he could to get them. He seemed like a bit of an immature person, so perhaps he was not aware that some of the things he did were offensive.

I always get a feeling of closeness between the cast of the "Match Game," and I think they all just played off each other and got a bit rowdy sometimes. As an incredibly introverted person, I find it fascinating to watch the cast of that show interact with each other. Personally, I could do without the proclivity for vulgarity on the show, but I think it was just a testing of the waters to see what they could get away with.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Some time ago Buzzzr was showing kinescopes of the old THE PRICE IS RIGHT with Bill Cullen. Took me back. I seem to really too, that when going to commercial breaks they'd show Cullen playing with a variety of odd wind-up toys.

And the format back then(late '50's-early '60's) was so different then it later became. Four contestants were already selected and would bid against each other. The one of the four with the closest to actual price won the prize.

And I got a kick out of seeing someone win a brand new 1961 Lincoln Continental with a retail sticker price of under $10,000.

Sepiatone
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: June 12th, 2023, 12:58 am
Dargo wrote: June 11th, 2023, 7:41 pm
jimimac71 wrote: June 11th, 2023, 5:50 pm
...I spent the summer of 1974 working for Storer Cable TV in Banning, CA.
I’d ride my bike to my little hotel room for lunch and watch Split Second.

What I remember about Split Second was the game winner was given five cars to choose from and see if the one they selected would start. I loved that.
I was a contestant on 'Split Second' just a couple of years earlier than this in 1972, jimimac. All of 20 y/o at the time. Tom Kennedy (Jack Narz's brother and himself a game show host of some repute during that time) was the host during its original run at the time, as I know there was a short-lived revival of this quiz show during the 1980s which was then hosted by its producer Monty Hall.

I did in fact win on one episode and so was one of those contestants who got a chance to pick from the five cars, and if as I'm sure you remember it started up, it would be mine to own.

The cars on stage were Pontiacs that week. And so being the young gearhead at the time that I was, I of course naturally opened the door and hopped into the Firebird and gave the key a twist. It didn't start. The car that WAS set up to start that day was the Safari Station Wagon, and of course the very LAST car I would've chosen.

(...I was beaten on the next episode and so didn't get another chance at those Pontiacs...as I recall, my total winnings were $550 and not a bad chunk o' change back then...oh, AND of course a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni..🎵"The San Francisco Treat!"🎵 ) LOL
Dargo, old buddy, how much IS a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco Treat? Is it more like a box a week or a box a year?
YUCK! Rice-A-Roni is NO treat! I still have bad memories of eating that as a child.......
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

I hope you didn't try eating the Turtle Wax too.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

No, I never sunk that low!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

The good news is Pat Sajak is going to retire from Wheel of Fortune.
The bad news is he has one more season to go starting in September.
I find him annoying. I do think Vanna White is dumb like a fox.
Those hosting Jeopardy! are no replacement for Alex Trebek.
I think both shows have been on TV long enough.
I'll bet many have no idea who Merv Griffin, their creator, was.
Mike Douglas?
In "Oh God," Jerry Landers (John Denver) appears on the Dinah Shore talk show.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: June 13th, 2023, 5:16 pm A Propo : from todays NYT :

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/13/arts ... rtune.html
Okay here, laffite. Tell me somethin'.

Everytime I click on one of these sorts of New York Times online links that people post around here (primarily I've noticed in the Obituaries thread) there's a damn pop-up that covers the article I've been prompted to read and that's telling me I must subscribe to that publication in order to read the article.

And sooooo, first, is there a way, short of subscribing to the NYT, in which I can rid that pop-up from my screen and then read the article, OR...

Well OR, is there a way you folks around here can stop posting links to the NYT and find the info you're attempting to post from some OTHER online source that does NOT require me to subscribe to it? Thanks in advance.

(...oh and FWIW...I do not have anything against the New York Times...nope, I'm NOT one of those morons who think that publication is "The Enemy of The People"...nope, I JUST don't want to have to subscribe to it, THAT'S all...okay SURE, call me "CHEAP" if ya want!) LOL
Last edited by Dargo on June 13th, 2023, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: June 13th, 2023, 5:42 pm

Everytime I click on one of these sorts of New York Times online links that people post around here, primarily though in the Obituary thread, there's a damn pop-up that covers the article I've been prompted to read and that's telling me I must subscribe to that publication in order read the article.

And sooooo, first, is there a way, short of subscribing to the NYT, in which I can rid that pop-up from my screen and then read the article, OR...

(...well OR, is there way you folks around here can stop posting links to the NYT and find the info you're attempting to post from some OTHER online source that does NOT require me to subscribe to it?...thanks in advance)
Non-subscribers were and hopefully still are able to get 10 free articles a month, after which you must subscribe or wait until the following month.

I became a subscriber on a promo which cost only $1 every 28 days for six months. When that expired I now have to pay $17 every 28 days (which I gladly pay since the NYT is indispensable to me.)

The promo is so incredibly reasonable I would hope folks might try it. After the promo period one is free to cancel, there is no requirement to continue at the increased rate.

Why you are not let in for the 10 free articles is a mystery to me. Someone more geeky than me might know how to get around this. You might be able to get in your browser settings and find something there that my free you from barriers like this.

I would be interested to know if that this happens to all non-subscribers on SSO.

//
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:06 pm

Everytime I click on one of these sorts of New York Times online links that people post around here, primarily though in the Obituary thread, there's a damn pop-up that covers the article I've been prompted to read and that's telling me I must subscribe to that publication in order read the article.

(...well OR, is there way you folks around here can stop posting links to the NYT and find the info you're attempting to post from some OTHER online source that does NOT require me to subscribe to it?...thanks in advance)
Non-subscribers were and hopefully still are able to get 10 free articles a month, after which you must subscribe or wait until the following month.

I became a subscriber on a promo which cost only $1 every 28 days for six months. When that expired I now have to pay $17 every 28 days (which I gladly pay since the NYT is indispensable to me.)

The promo is so incredibly reasonable I would hope folks might try it. After the promo period one is free to cancel, there is no requirement to continue at the increased rate.

Why you are not let in for the 10 free articles is a mystery to me. Someone more geeky than me might know how to get around this. You might be able to get in your browser settings and find something there that my free you from barriers like this.

I would be interested to know if that this happens to all non-subscribers on SSO.

//
Thanks for the reply here, laffite. Good info here.

If they still have that "10 free articles a month" thing goin' on, then I guess I must've clicked on their website more times than that in a month's time.

(...btw...go up there and re-read my posting...I've changed it...you might get a kick out of my new closing line in it) ;)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

"I would be interested to know if that this happens to all non-subscribers on SSO."

It does for me too, but other newspapers as well.
I read another article from my MSN or Google news feed about Pat Sajak's retirement.
Just do a search and there should be plenty of articles.
Here's one I got to work:
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/pat-sa ... 5641670/#!
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:06 pm

//
There are ways to get around some paywalls and other content-blocking mechanisms, but they require you to be a little tech savvy. You have to understand how a browser's internal software works and how to manage the execution of the browser software. I won't go into that here. It's not as simple as changing a browser setting.

The NY Times used to have a simple cookie-based paywall meter. The initial limit was 10 free articles per month. Then they changed that to 5 articles a month a few years ago. But now they have a smart meter that is customized to the end user. They have multiple levels of walls - at least two. A "registration wall" for people who have no registered account, and a paywall for registered users but non-subscribers (or people who only subscribe to their Games section, for example, for the NYT Xword and other puzzles/games).

I'm a subscriber, so I'm not entirely sure of all the details, but I don't think there is a free allocation of articles without registration now. I just tried an experiment using a browser I've never used to access the NYT (MS Edge) in both InPrivate (Incognito) and open modes, and both took me directly to the registration wall when clicking on an article. So they no longer use just cookies to determine this. In the past, you could wipe out your cookies or use a private/incognito session to reset your monthly limit. But that no longer works. I believe you have to, at a minimum, register (or use Facebook/Google/Apple logons) to get to your allocation of free articles.

Subscribers can gift articles, so that's one way to do it.

Also, many university and public libraries have a limited subscription model that lets you view a set number of articles for free.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Everytime I click on one of these sorts of New York Times online links that people post around here (primarily I've noticed in the Obituaries thread) there's a damn pop-up that covers the article I've been prompted to read and that's telling me I must subscribe to that publication in order to read the article.

Well OR, is there a way you folks around here can stop posting links to the NYT and find the info you're attempting to post from some OTHER online source that does NOT require me to subscribe to it? Thanks in advance.

(...oh and FWIW...I do not have anything against the New York Times...nope, I'm NOT one of those morons who think that publication is "The Enemy of The People"...nope, I JUST don't want to have to subscribe to it, THAT'S all...okay SURE, call me "CHEAP" if ya want!) LOL
Yer CHEAP !!!

:director: Dargo is a penny pincher. Move over JackB.

:smiley_innocent:
Mona