Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho

jimimac71

Re: Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho

Post by jimimac71 »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 4:39 pm The thing I most enjoy about Rear Window is watching the beautiful, gorgeous, delectable Grace Kelly move around.

Other than that, the movie is kind of boring for me.
Yeah but Thelma Ritter had good hands and a great personality.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

jimimac71 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 5:30 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 4:39 pm The thing I most enjoy about Rear Window is watching the beautiful, gorgeous, delectable Grace Kelly move around.

Yeah but Thelma Ritter had good hands and a great personality.
She was funny too.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: June 18th, 2023, 12:40 pm Would you be suggesting the idea that Raymond Burr's character hadn't actually murdered his wife in it, or something other than this?
Funny you both should say that- we just screened the newly restored Rear Window and many in the audience had never seen it. When describing it to others, I could not recall the ending & said so. I paid extra close attention and while Burr attacks the Stewart charactor he says, "Just what do you WANT from me?" and the police arrive. The End.
We are left to wonder if she was murdered or just away on "vacation"? The issue is never truly settled. Hitchcock's McGuffin.

And both Mr Tiki & I were completely underwhelmed by Grace Kelly's appearance. She was plainly pretty but so tarted up all I saw was blue eyeshadow, red lips & stiff blonde hair-horrible, clownish.
I felt she was much more beautiful as an older woman, in light, more natural make up.

Psycho is one of those perfect movies-everyone likes it-all ages, any culture, country or language...it works great. It's often a movie I use to break teens of the "icky" B&W movie prejudice.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

TikiSoo wrote: June 18th, 2023, 5:45 pm
She was plainly pretty but so tarted up all I saw was blue eyeshadow, red lips & stiff blonde hair-horrible, clownish.
I suppose, as Gene Pitney might've put it for me, I'm looking through the eyes of love.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

jimimac71 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 2:45 pm Of course, being a seasoned TCMer, you realize that was the idea.
Janet, so they say, stopped taking showers and only took baths.
Until she saw Les diaboliques.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:09 pm
I suppose, as Gene Pitney might've put it for me, I'm looking through the eyes of love.
Not Melissa Manchester?

Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Fedya wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:17 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:09 pm
Not Melissa Manchester?
Good God, no.
laffite

Post by laffite »

"Love is the absence of judgement."
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: June 18th, 2023, 7:26 pm
Hey! That's not what Ali MacGraw said here, dude!

(...you callin' her a liar here or somethin', laffite???)

;)
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: June 18th, 2023, 5:45 pm
Dargo wrote: June 18th, 2023, 12:40 pm Would you be suggesting the idea that Raymond Burr's character hadn't actually murdered his wife in it, or something other than this?
Funny you both should say that- we just screened the newly restored Rear Window and many in the audience had never seen it. When describing it to others, I could not recall the ending & said so. I paid extra close attention and while Burr attacks the Stewart charactor he says, "Just what do you WANT from me?" and the police arrive. The End.
We are left to wonder if she was murdered or just away on "vacation"? The issue is never truly settled. Hitchcock's McGuffin.

And both Mr Tiki & I were completely underwhelmed by Grace Kelly's appearance. She was plainly pretty but so tarted up all I saw was blue eyeshadow, red lips & stiff blonde hair-horrible, clownish.
I felt she was much more beautiful as an older woman, in light, more natural make up.

Psycho is one of those perfect movies-everyone likes it-all ages, any culture, country or language...it works great. It's often a movie I use to break teens of the "icky" B&W movie prejudice.
I didn't think it was in question at all, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

In the next to the last scene, after the Thorwald encounter in Jeff's apartment, Jeff asks Tom Doyle is he's got enough for a search warrant now. He replies "Oh yeah, sure." Then, one of the NYPD detectives says that "Thorwald is ready to take us on a tour of the East River." After that, Stella (Ritter) whispers something to Tom Doyle, the lead detective, which he repeats back to the other detective, and asks if Thorwald said what was buried in the flower bed. The detective said the dog got too inquisitive so he (Thorwald) dug it up. It's in a hatbox in his apartment.

I took that exchange to mean that there was a murder. If not, there were certainly some unsavory events that occurred.

In the epilog, we get to see some of the neighbor's storylines resolve (most of them happily), and we see Lisa (Grace Kelly) lounging in Jeff's apartment in jeans and penny loafers (but still with full makeup!)
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Dargo wrote: June 18th, 2023, 12:40 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: June 18th, 2023, 12:28 pm
Rear Window is a good movie, but I admit that the ending was disappointing to me: I was expecting a twist. Maybe the twist was that there was no twist.
As I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting here Bagel, could you elaborate upon this here? Sounds like an intriguing thought.

Would you be suggesting the idea that Raymond Burr's character hadn't actually murdered his wife in it, or something other than this?
The first time I saw Rear Window I had a suspicion that Lisa (Grace Kelly) and Detective Tom Doyle were colluding to make to make Jeff (James Stewart) think he was losing his mind and, yes, that Thorwald (Raymond Burr) was involved in their plot and had not actually murdered his wife. So Lisa was in no real danger when she goes into Thorwald's apartment. This would have been a twist on the plot of Hitchcock's previous release Dial M For Murder where Ray Milland's character had set up his adulterous wife (played by Grace Kelly) to take the fall for murdering the man that Ray Milland's character had hired to kill her.

But in Rear Window it turned out to be a "it was what it was" situation. James Stewart's character had seen the aftermath of a murder committed by Raymond Burr's character.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

PSYCHO changed the world. When new, it was the dirty movie by that dirty old man. I'm sure LOTS of young people cued to see PSYCHO.
Meanwhile, back in England contemporary MICHAEL POWELL effectively ended his own career with a color film of comparable ilk, PEEPING TOM.

Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Dargo wrote: June 18th, 2023, 8:16 pm
laffite wrote: June 18th, 2023, 7:26 pm
Hey! That's not what Ali MacGraw said here, dude!

(...you callin' her a liar here or somethin', laffite???)

;)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: June 18th, 2023, 10:13 pm
Dargo wrote: June 18th, 2023, 12:40 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: June 18th, 2023, 12:28 pm
Rear Window is a good movie, but I admit that the ending was disappointing to me: I was expecting a twist. Maybe the twist was that there was no twist.
As I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting here Bagel, could you elaborate upon this here? Sounds like an intriguing thought.

Would you be suggesting the idea that Raymond Burr's character hadn't actually murdered his wife in it, or something other than this?
The first time I saw Rear Window I had a suspicion that Lisa (Grace Kelly) and Detective Tom Doyle were colluding to make to make Jeff (James Stewart) think he was losing his mind and, yes, that Thorwald (Raymond Burr) was involved in their plot and had not actually murdered his wife. So Lisa was in no real danger when she goes into Thorwald's apartment. This would have been a twist on the plot of Hitchcock's previous release Dial M For Murder where Ray Milland's character had set up his adulterous wife (played by Grace Kelly) to take the fall for murdering the man that Ray Milland's character had hired to kill her.

But in Rear Window it turned out to be a "it was what it was" situation. James Stewart's character had seen the aftermath of a murder committed by Raymond Burr's character.
Interesting concept here, Bagel. I must admit this idea had never crossed my mind during the times I've watched this film.

However, somethin's telling me here it just might've also crossed Brian De Palma's mind the first time he ever watched 'Rear Window', anyway. ;) De Palma of course being well known for taking Hitchcock movies and putting his own little spin on them.

(...in fact, your spin on this sounding a bit to me like the plot in De Palma's film 'Body Double', and which in turn is really somewhat a convoluted concoction of both Hitchcock's 'Rear Window' and 'Vertigo')
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

REAR WINDOW is a long time favorite of mine. And actually did spark my interest in photography. I once owned a Miranda SLR camera like the one Jimmy Stewart had in the movie. Damn good camera. I even used it on several wedding assignments.

Like Intrepid I too enjoy watching Grace Kelly move around. But really, watching "Miss Torso" move around is more interesting. ;)
My only disappointment in the movie is never learning why Thorwald killed Mr. Drucker's dog. And had there at one time been something significant buried under that flower that got shorter?

But PSYCHO? Well, never having seen it until I was in my 20's it didn't disturb me. And knowing a bit about how movies were made I wondered how much chocolate syrup was actually washed down that bathtub drain. ;)

Sepiatone