MATLOCK reboot starring Kathy Bates

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Intrepid37

Re: MATLOCK reboot starring Kathy Bates

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: July 1st, 2023, 1:02 pm No, "Died hard at (or in) a Christmas movie" would be Gene Kelly in 'Christmas Holiday', and when at the end of the picture he's gunned down by the cops while trying to get at his ex-wife after breaking out of prison.

(...one of the few movies in which Kelly played a bad guy)
Suited him. Never cared much for him. Always seemed smarmy to me.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Well, aren't MOST actors who have a scar on their face???

(...ya can't trust NONE of 'em, I always say!) ;)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Never noticed he had a scar on his face.

Probably because I was so bored with all his movies.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Christopher Walken makes mention of his scar in that short TCM Gene Kelly tribute filler he did a few years back and which they run occasionally...

Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Walken! Now there's an actor who never bores me.

And he can dance too.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jimimac71 wrote: June 30th, 2023, 3:11 pm I love the end of the trailer with the music from Matlock (the original) and the reference to Angela Lansbury.
Someone's too young. I watched the trailer a second time and got more from it. The lady is calling her Angela Lansbury.
I will kick my comment below up a notch. Kathy will knock 'em dead.
Ben Matlock's age came into play on occasion. As for comedy, the video I previously posted here, talked about Les (Ace) Calhoun not being a good fit. That being Don Knotts, who's humor worked before but not so much in Matlock.
We're even Holden, as I've never seen Ally McBeal.
I don't care for the elderly, not able to keep up, image suggested by the trailer.
I'm guessing Kathy Bates will kick butt and take names. Pretty sure. Mark my words.
I can't suggest an episode of Matlock to watch. For me they are all good.
It is very different and is not meant to be compared.
Yes, it seems that Kathy Bates's character in the new MATLOCK series is using the perception that elderly are slow to her advantage to outfox people.

I love the part in the trailer where she asks (in a Southern accent) "Am I hah-urd [hired]?" after she brings back information to help one of the law firm's case. It appears she's only person in her age group applying for the position.
I'd loved to use that in a job interview during the part where they ask if you have any other questions.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

In my opinion, Ben Matlock didn't have a noticeable accent.
Madeline is an interesting name. I'm finding her more attractive now, except the hair. Ben had great hair.
She hasn't practiced law since 1991. Matlock was still on TV. Not a 4th wall, since the show continued until 1995.
I love the candy thing. Reminds me of George Bush and Michelle Obama. TV news loved it.
The trailer moves quickly. There is a very brief view of a balcony, Boston Legal style.
There is a cast member that reminds me of René Auberjonois from Boston Legal.
The cast looks delightfully diverse.
Madeline dresses sharp, Candice Bergen style.
I wonder if she was considered for the part? I do think Kathy Bates will be a good fit.
I have to be careful opening more than one browser tab. I almost lost my post again.
Get this Holden! Maybe you know, but according to USA Today, Matlock will follow 60 Minutes.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jimimac71 wrote: July 1st, 2023, 3:13 pm In my opinion, Ben Matlock didn't have a noticeable accent.
For the role of Ben Matlock, Andy Griffith appears to speak as he does "in real life" as opposed to the speech pattern he used for the character of Andy Taylor (where he spoke with a very noticeable Southern accent).
I know that Andy Griffith also played Ben Matlock's father is some flashback scenes. I wonder if he used a noticeable Southern accent for that role.

In the the clip below from 1985 (the year before the premiere of MATLOCK), Andy Griffith talks to David Letterman. There is not a noticeable Southern accent.

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Holden ... Here two links (I hope) to Matlock On Demand with Pluto TV:
https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand/series/60 ... 00139e311e
https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand/series/60 ... 0013f321ba
They are tricky, at least on my computer, as Pluto TV is really slow to respond.
Steve Witting plays young Ben Matlock and Andy Griffith is his father Charlie.
You can get a little bit just by watching the episode preview.
Steve Witting is in 4 episodes of Matlock, which means there are 2 more where Andy Griffith plays Charlie Matlock.
It does sound like Charlie Matlock speaks different than Ben.
My ear-sight is getting old, to match my eyesight, and I'm not sure.
As mentioned in the video you supplied:

I believe this comedy was how Andy got started.
He's not a bad singer too.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

HoldenIsHere wrote: July 4th, 2023, 4:00 pm
jimimac71 wrote: July 1st, 2023, 3:13 pm In my opinion, Ben Matlock didn't have a noticeable accent.
For the role of Ben Matlock, Andy Griffith appears to speak as he does "in real life" as opposed to the speech pattern he used for the character of Andy Taylor (where he spoke with a very noticeable Southern accent).
I know that Andy Griffith also played Ben Matlock's father is some flashback scenes. I wonder if he used a noticeable Southern accent for that role.

In the the clip below from 1985 (the year before the premiere of MATLOCK), Andy Griffith talks to David Letterman. There is not a noticeable Southern accent.

Funny he's talking about the Ed Sullivan theater. Little did Letterman know at the time that it would be his new home when he moved from NBC to CBS a few years later.

Griffith always sounded Southern to me, but not as exaggerated as the accent he used on his first show (especially in the early years, until his character was tweaked to be the straight man).
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Intrepid37 wrote: July 1st, 2023, 12:03 pm
Lomm wrote: June 30th, 2023, 7:25 am
Intrepid37 wrote: June 29th, 2023, 5:16 pm

Holy cow! Can you believe administration really deleted that polka lyric?

Is Kathy Bates actually in here somewhere??
Wasn't me, just FYI, lest you feel persecuted.
OMG! I answered this post of yours, explaining exactly what went on to you - and that post was deleted - presumably by the same moderator who censored the word "fat".!!

Not just that - but now I've been issued a "board warning" - this happened at about 5 am this morning.

What the hell is the deal here??

Why am I not allowed to use the word "fat"? Why a board warning for using it?

Can you please explain?
I didn't see the post nor the warning so I can't speak to why any of it happened. Warnings aren't really anything to be concerned about though; it's just a reminder to be nice, not any kind of system to ban someone automatically or anything like that.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Lomm wrote: July 5th, 2023, 7:43 am I didn't see the post nor the warning so I can't speak to why any of it happened. Warnings aren't really anything to be concerned about though; it's just a reminder to be nice, not any kind of system to ban someone automatically or anything like that.
Okay. I thought I sent you a pm about this at the same time I pm'd the moderator letting her know how disappointed I was with her actions - I mean, to actually interfere with a post directed specifically to you! And all because of the word "fat".

But it looks like it didn't get through to you - I now see it's probably because I forgot to fill in the "subject" space, before hitting send. I've been thinking since that you and she have not responded to my pm's out of indifference. Now I realize you must not have gotten yours. This post you just made does show that you have consideration for my inquiry regarding these arbitrary post deletions and "board warning". Thank you.

Back at TCM, I didn't worry much about board warnings. Except then, I found every single one of them listed and used as justification to permanently ban me. That's how I learned to make sure I never call anyone names or attack anyone's personal character again. Provide no ammunition for such justification. While it has meant having to eat a lot of personal attacks on myself without being able to respond in kind, it is much less wearying, I'll admit. So, it's a relief to know that this board warning will not be accumulated against me in the future. Thanks for advising me of that.

Since I pm'd the offending moderator about this, I've not posted - and have been considering whether there's any point to resuming any further contributions to this community. If one can be punished for quoting the lyrics of the "She's too *** for me" polka, it bodes not well at all for the chance of further fascistic intolerance being presented from a moderator here. I've blanked the "offensive" word this time so as to guard against yet another deletion.

Thanks again for responding to me on this thread - it's appreciated.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

It doesn't make sense to identify the moderator(s) by name.
That didn't happen at TCM.
Kind of puts a bullseye on the moderator, where in this case, there is just one.
Not long ago, I read a post with a four-letter F word in it. Never deleted.
Really puzzles me a three-letter F word was removed.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

One is a general curse and the other is a derogatory term against a class of people. That's my take anyway. There is NO automatic censoring in place here at the Oasis. If a moderator or admin chooses to modify or delete a post, then that's a judgement call on their part.

If moderators and admins were not identified at TCM, then I suspect (I've never been there) that it's because they weren't also active board participants.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

txfilmfan wrote: July 4th, 2023, 7:02 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: July 4th, 2023, 4:00 pm

Funny he's talking about the Ed Sullivan theater. Little did Letterman know at the time that it would be his new home when he moved from NBC to CBS a few years later.

Griffith always sounded Southern to me, but not as exaggerated as the accent he used on his first show (especially in the early years, until his character was tweaked to be the straight man).
Griffith was born and raised in North Carolina so he would sound 'Southern'. As for any accent: As you note, a heavy accent (as well as a regional dialect) is often used as a plot device.