ziggy6708a

"Killers of the Flower Moon" ('23)

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
txfilmfan

Re: "Killers of the Flower Moon" ('23)

Post by txfilmfan »

My grandmother's cousin was believed to have been killed in this rampage 100 years ago. Until latter investigations were done, her death was written off as a suicide. It's now thought she was murdered to gain access to her share of the oil wealth.

Looking forward to see how the story has been told on film. Coincidentally, the Movies! network is currently showing the Jimmy Stewart version of this in The FBI Story at this moment.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Martin Scorsese Rewrote ‘Flower Moon’ Because ‘I Was Making a Movie About All the White Guys’ and It ‘Concerned Me,’
Calls Cinema Culture ‘Broken Up’

https://x.com/Variety/status/1701650631197340053?s=20

:smiley_shades:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I am definitely looking forward to this movie, but I will probably not see it in the theater due its nearly 3 and a half hour running time.

I think this is the first Martin Scorsese to feature both of his long-time muses, Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio.
I'm very impressed with what I've seen of DiCaprio in the trailers so far.

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

The new trailer for Martin Scorsese’s ‘KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON’ has been released.

In theaters on October 20.

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/170 ... 04128?s=20

(can't find how to post twitter links now)
:headbang:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Not a Twitter user, but Musk has been making a lot of changes since he took over, and this may be one of them.

You can still post YouTube videos. Here's the trailer...

Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

I just got back from seeing this, I rate it 8/10.

Even at 3 hours it held my interest the whole time. Leonardo DiCaprio is good but Robert DeNiro gives his best performance in decades. Lily Gladstone is touching as DiCaprio's Osage wife who goes through a series of tragedies.

The plot took a shocking turn when we find out some characters are not who they first seemed to be.

I recommend this to all DeNiro and Scorsese fans.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I saw it yesterday. Still processing it, but it hits a bit close to home, as my grandmother's cousin's murder is fictionalized in the opening moments of the film. It's one of three films I've seen where I had to just sit in the theater for a minute or two before getting up. The others were Philadelphia (saw it just a couple weeks after my cousin passed from AIDS) and Schindler's List.

My only quibble with the film is in the last 10 minutes or so, with the radio dramatization scenes. It takes you out of the 1920s rather suddenly. Maybe that's what Scorsese wanted, to bring us back to present day. But it was jarring to me and seemed out of place with the rest of the picture. I would have liked to see the descendants of the survivors or some similar wrap-up to bring it back to the present day.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 6:57 pm
In any case, I'm glad to have watched it in a cinema, but I wouldn't want to repeat that experience. Once was more than enough.
Yep, and with this being how I usually feel after watching pretty much ANY very well made film which attempts to chronicle the baser instincts of the human condition.

'Schindler's List'...once was enough. 'Kapo'...once was enough. 'The Pianist'...once was enough, and with these Holocaust themed films first coming to mind in this regard.

(...and I'll bet most people feel this way as well)